Schiit's First Phono Preamp - The $129 "Mani"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Try it with the cables disconnected.

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The difference between the Mani and the LCR III is M-I-D-R-A-N-G-E. The LCR has it and the Mani needs it. For me, midrange rules. :tiphat:

Joe Spivey likes this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes, sorry. I missed this message.
    Correct. I went through 2 units. The first one was sent back, and they sent me a replacement which also had the same issue. They never found anything wrong with the unit. I sent back both, and ended up being very happy with a Lounge.

It's worth noting that I DO have a local radio station antenna within a couple miles of me.

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Wow! I am honestly really surprised how many folks are having interference issues with the Mani! This is not meant to rub my experience in anyone's face, but no issues with my setup. In fact, when I used to use the inexpensive Rolls VP29, I would get this loud buzz in my speakers anytime my Iphone received a text message. That went away when I installed the Mani. Great sounding preamp for the coin too.

Now, before anyone thinks I am doing a Schiit promo or I am a hopeless fan boy - allow me to say I have had lots of issues with their other products and some individuals who call themselves tech support....................

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

FWIW -- I was using a Mani for a while with an Ortofon 2m red and it made the mids / lows better but I had more sibilant noise and IGD was more predominant. I then started having issues with drop-outs / excessive noise on one channel-- I went back to a different pre amp for a while. I recently swapped my 2m red for an AT440mlb. That cartridge really made a difference and sounds wonderful. When I tried it with the Mani there was an uncomfortable amount of hissing and noise during quiet parts. I tried several different gain structures. Long story short-- the Mani appears to be very sensitive to load and it seems to be quite noisy by design.

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Wow, that wasn't my experience at all. For me, with the Ortofon 2M Blue, it made the highs smoother, and reduced sibilants and IGD. And it is dead quiet.

I use it in the lowest gain setting, 30 db, which is perfect with my cart and my NAD integrated. For those people who report noise issues and spitty highs, may I ask if changing the gain settings had any impact?

7. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I have noticed some phono pre's can draw extra attention to surface noise, hums, etc. I think it is a tough game to nail because it doesn't even necessarily follow rhyme or reason in my experience, not that a piece of gear is bad or anything.

8. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

When I tried 30db with the AT440mlb the output signal was too low for my liking, but it sounded slightly better, I'll admit. I am also not using an audiophile setup by any means-- but out of the variety of pre-amps I've tried the Mani was the noisiest for some reason.

9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I tried the mani in place of my valve Croft stage and was very impressed indeed. I have since swapped back as the mani is for a second deck that I am getting. For the money it held out proudly during my testing.

Wounded Land likes this.
  10. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I love mine. I'm one of the few people if not the only person on this forum that preferred it to the Lounge, as far as I know. I use it at the 42db setting with no issues.

iloveguitars and Wounded Land like this.
  11. Jazzphile32

Jazzphile32 Forum Resident

I'm looking to upgrade my phono stage, will a Mani be good fit for me?

My current setup:
    Rega Rp3 w/2m Bronze and GT subplatter
    PS Audio Sprout (currently using the phono stage on this)
    Energy Connoisseur C-5 Speakers
    Monitor Audio Subwoofer

I think the Sprout is great but the phono stage has a bass gain at 70Hz that sounds a little boomy with my floor standing speakers and sub.

Would running the the Mani as a preamp to the Sprout be a cheap way to improve my setup? Or should I be looking at preamps at higher price points like Lounge MKIII, a Graham Slee Gold Era V, Vincent Pho-8, or Ifi Iphono2?

Appreciate any guidance or views on which way I should go.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Personally, I'd go with the Lounge if you are only going to run MM carts. That (according to friends who have them) and the iPhono2 (I've heard that one and love it for the price) are excellent. The Vincent I don't think is in the same league as the iPhono2.

I'd be surprised if the Mani is that big an improvement. Phono stages are worth spending more on and stretching your budget on, due to the low level of the signals that they need to amplify.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Jazzphile32

Thanks for the input. I noticed the Lounge has an input capacitance of 100pf while the specs for the 2M Bronze state 150-300pf. Is this a good phono/cartridge combo to have in that case?

14. Gabe Walters

People who think the Mani couldn't possibly sound good because of its price should hear one. They could also do to read up on Schiit's philosophy. The company doesn't charge more just because it can. They do excellent engineering and focus on what matters for sound, without spending more money than necessary on things like chassis. The Mani boosts the 2M signal just fine; in fact, I've set mine to the lowest gain setting because the 2M has quite enough output. Adjustable gain/loading, ability to run MM or MC carts, and passive RIAA EQ, with quality parts and nothing fancy added? What else do you need, at any price? It gets the job done.

The only legitimate criticism I've heard of the Mani that addresses its quality, and not its low price, came from the guy who builds and sells a competing product, the Lounge. He had high praise for the Mani, except for its power supply, which, yeah, at this price point, that's where the compromise is going to come into play. But I can't say I've ever listened to my Mani and thought, man, if it just had a better power supply. It sounds great as is.

15. Wounded Land

I too use the lowest gain stage with my 2M (a Blue in my case). It's a fantastic preamp, but I've never heard the PS Audio amp so I have no means of comparison. Schist does have a 15-day return policy, so it may be worth a shot.

16. Gabe Walters

Yeah, I can't say whether it's going to improve on the phono section of the Sprout. But that return period does reduce the risk of trying it out, for sure.

Jazzphile32 likes this.
  17. Jazzphile32

I just installed the Bronze a week ago, I should probably let it burn in some more and see how it pairs with the Sprout before switching to a preamp.

18. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

I have the Mani, and I think it's everything anybody could expect in a $129 phono section (which is all the more remarkable in that it plays MM and MC). . . But. . . BUT . . . it is not the giant killer it is too often made out to be (or even the slayer of more moderate beasts to which it is inevitably compared - at least not in my system). Yes, it is very affordable - but perhaps there is a floor beneath which one ought not linger.

As a preliminary matter, I must agree with everybody on this forum who has noted that it is noisy. Mine is quite noisy - not in paroxysms, mind you, but constantly. The noise floor is simply very high on mine, which obscures detail, particularly quiet detail.

Moreover, I find the midrange to be somewhat thick and, perhaps, a bit recessed, as if a few layers of blankets overlay it. For instance, the Rega fono MM MK2 is noticeably more "open" (and quite a bit better "lit") than the Mani. I found the built-in MM section of my old Rega Brio R to be more accomplished as well. Certainly the Rega is considerably more quiet, backgrounds more black, blah blah . . . You get the picture.

The Rega Fono MM Mk 2 is $400, about 3x what the Mani is. And it won't do MC. And so maybe the comparison is unfair. But. . . BUT . . . I suspect (though cannot know for sure) that the vast majorities of Schiit Mani's are being hung off the end of entry-level (or even low-mid level) turntable combinations, such as Music Halls, Rega's (p1's through p3's), Projects and maybe a few other "budget" decks. These are GOOD decks (some of them QUITE) good decks), and many sold or used with very fine and overachieving cartridges (like the Ortofon 2m reds and blues). These combos weigh in the neighborhood of $400 to $900 and are capable of extracting tremendous detail, and have good, open and clean mid ranges. I feel you do these combos a disservice by strangling the music in its crib. In my opinion, $129 on a phono section is just too little for what these decks are capable of. So, yes, the $400 Rega comparison is unfair on price - But I think it's unwise to spend less.

Judd

misterdecibel and Joe Spivey like this.
  19. Wounded Land

For what it's worth, my Mani is neither noisy (just the opposite) nor is the midrange thick or recessed. Call it system synergy or maybe I just got a good one, but I couldn't be happier with mine.

20. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Well now I'm concerned with the mani, mine is being delivered tomorrow and I just purchased a restored Pioneer PL-71 table (had been using an Audio Technica LP 120). Should I be concerned with using the old Pioneer with the Mani or am I better off going for some other type of preamp since I am using an older (which I hope to be higher quality) table?

21. Gabe Walters

What's your concern? Just the age of the turntable? Should be fine, assuming it has RCA out.

22. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

My only concern is the "noise" many are discussing with the Mani and if I should have made another choice for a preamp?

23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think you'll have to just listen and see for yourself, it's likely an issue with some setups and ears and not others

They do have a 15 day return so try it out in all listening situations

I got mine yesterday. I have an LP120 and got this to use instead of the internal. I have lousy ears but could tell a difference from the one in the LP120, improvement in EQ and clarity for sure, and don't notice any weird hum or noise yet, but I'm only on my 4th LP trying it out.

24. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Keep in mind that they charge a restocking fee, and you're on the hook for original and return shipping charges.

From the Schiit website:

When we receive your product in its original box, with any accessories intact, in like-new condition, we’ll refund the full purchase price of your product or products, minus a 5%-15% restocking fee (actual amount noted on each product page.) Of course, shipping is not included in the refund—you will pay full shipping to and from your location.
    I could not find the actual restocking fee for the Mani. I'm expecting one myself this week. And a Modi 2 Uber. :D

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I hear you but for his concerns, that's $25 to try it for two weeks if he doesn't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.