Man, I'm an idiot (left TEAC TN-200 turntable running all night) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickStark79, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I thought the same, but since the OP feels it's an upgrade (and maybe it is, for we don't know what model Philips he had) I didn't have the heart to make the same comment. I think any mediocre vintage TT beats everything under the Pioneer PL-1000

2. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, while I understand wanting to respect the gesture, I appreciate all your feedback as you're much more knowledgeable than I am. If it's not too late, I'm going to try and return this.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Either way, having the wife gift him one is a great gesture showing support for his hobby. I do wonder if some of his questions are the result of expecting the new table to be an upgrade, which it may or may not be. Not a disparaging comment to the Teac as is it is a compliment to his "old faithful".

I should also note to the OP that if his Philips is one that had the headshell connector an inch or so up the arm, hang on to it. Those headshells are like golden unicorns these days!!!

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup, the 777 is a better TT. Is it still in good running order or was it in bad need of a replacement ? Keep it or invest in at least a Pioneer PL-1000, a Thorens or a refurbished Dual.

All the best and good luck explaining it to the wife:cry:

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yep! I liked my 777 and 312 a lot, then I got an 867 introduced the goofy switches I mentioned. Still think the 312 was best one I had. They were incredibly good trackers and had a great suspension system.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had stylus run on the label once for a few minutes? having dozed off. No reason for this happening and couldn't make it repeat on same record. Maybe a speck of dust on locked groove could make it jump. Maybe no harm but after 24 hours would change the stylus to be on the safe side. The one for the OP's table shouldn't cost much.

7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I mean you've got to remember that the needle normally in running in tiny grooves in "plastic". You're supposed to do that to hear records. While the length of time can be worrisome, it's not the end of the world.

With both of your samples, I didn't hear anything inherently wrong. The needle on that table probably isn't the best as it is. I would already have my eye on replacements, regardless of a 24 hour sticker spin. And I'm not talking $500+, like 100-150.

8. boots

boots Chokma!

Don't feel bad! We all get drunk put on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and pass out till noon the next day only to awake to a steady thump thump thump right?

9. RickStark79

Ok, thanks for all your input on this. I sent the TEAC back to Amazon and decided to just get a new cartridge for my Philips 777. Any suggestions for a good one around $100??

10. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I once left my LP12 spinning for 7 months!
    it was fine

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No wonder they are banning people.

12. RickStark79

Huh?

13. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I used to have my Dual 1229 on one of my systems in my kitchen pantry. I didn't play the TT often and the mode lever switch was in the off position.

Months went by and I started noticing a squeaking noise coming from the area of the refrigerator. The pantry sits right next to it and I discovered that was where the noise was coming from.

Come to find out, the motor on the Dual was running but the deck was off. The power switch that is located under the platter was stuck in the on position. I oiled the motor bearings and fixed the dry motor bearing problem. I also cleaned the power switch so it would shut off too.

14. dl2341

dl2341 Well-Known Member

24 hours is not long to have the turntable running, but you gave unnecessary wear to your stylus. By the way, their is a capture groove at the end of every record. It can never make it to the label.

15. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I hadn't used my turntable in a while, so one morning, before work, I turned it on just to let it run a bit....had to keep the place quiet. I completely forgot about it until about 14 hours later. I sheepishly went in and turned it off. I doubt it did any damage, but there is that little lingering doubt in the back of my mind........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.