Why don't I ever see NEW vinyl bargains in stores? Asking for the impossible?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ParloFax, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I mean, do stores today have the necessary leeway to even have bargain sales on interesting artists catalogue, like we used to see in the old days? Or are things for them so tough nowadays - with the returns on defective items I hear they must take up themselves - that they just can never hold such bargain sales?

I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday (Saturday), in Burlington VT, late in the afternoon, and I couldn't believe how deserted and dead the music and movie department was... Totally depressing, with me being the ONLY customer in the room for about 15 minutes! For those who don't know this is a college town with young demographics. The youths were all dowstairs at the Starbuck, staring at their portable whatevers...

I thought the LP racks were full of stuff but... Zero Frank Zappa for one thing!... No fun CD sale bins...

2. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Bullmoose has sales up to 75% off new sealed records. Other stores also have sales, I see stuff on discount all the time.

3. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Gee, some good stuff? The only LP bargain sale I have ever seen was at HMV last year, and it's always records nobody ever wants to buy...

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well....that's kind of the point, isn't it? If people were buying the LP's then they wouldn't be on clearance.

I've definitely bought more than a few LP's this way, however - Urban Outfitters has these types of sales, as does the biggest Indie store I frequent in NJ (PREX).

ParloFax likes this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Newbury Comics and In Your Ear have some really good deals scattered about every so often.I`m not a fan of FYE or Barnes & Nobles.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You don't see bargains because the stores aren't able to buy them at wholesale bargain rates like they used to. Margins are too low for bargain sales. Like you, when I see a big sale, it's usually titles that everyone already bought 2 years ago and no one wants anymore. :) I see 20% sales around town, but in terms of big bargain sales like you mention? Not anymore unless it's used product.

Not sure what happens with those defective items but they're probably resealed and resold unless they really are defective.

7. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

A question of supply and demand, I suppose. Since new vinyl usually is very much in demand you won't see too many bargains.

Funny that you bring up this subject though. Over the last few weeks I think I saw what may be the first sign of new records being priced down in my local record store. Seems to be a bunch of albums reissued by Music On Vinyl that weren't the most interesting titles to begin with. Still I picked up some new and sealed albums by James Taylor, Paul Simon, Jan Akkerman, John Martyn, Vandenberg, Graham Central Station and Rose Royce for 9,99 euro each. The beginning of 'Nice Price' releases? I hope so...

BTW here's the list: Music On Vinyl aanbiedingen | PlatoMania voor de echte muziekliefhebber »

Bummer for all of you living outside of Holland that you probably can't pick them up for those prices at your nearest local record store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.