Why hasn't Robbie Robertson had a more impressive solo career?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

It's worse on eBay.

elgoodo and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Because his last really good song, "The Shape I'm In," was released in 1970.

smoke likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

First off, I want "Between Trains" ftom the King Of Comedy and "The Fatman" from Carney to be released on a Robbie Robertson compolation.

Robbie Robertson would of had a more impressive career IF he had, had a break out single that would have been a major hit.
    If he would have mounted some extensive solo tours. He could have raise his profile. But that would have had been a problem with his "the road kills you" rap from the Last Waltz.

As a big The Band fan and Robbie RoBert son fan for years, I've never really knew of his big Indian connection till he did his Indian LP. Are those kin in the gatefold kin picture inside of Big Pink, any of his Indian kin?
    To me that seem very opportunistic on his part.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. The fact that there could be someone who (apparently) likes the music of The Band yet thinks "It Makes No Difference" is not a "really good song" is pretty mind-boggling.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . not to mention writing a lot of them.

beccabear67 likes this.
  6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

To me the most likely answer is that his songwriting dried up. Happens to a lot of 'em.

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Some kind of tour of small scale theaters and the usual promotion (TV talk show appearances with live performance) might've helped the solo career. No reason he couldn't have benchmarked John Fogerty (blend in versions of classic songs from the previous group with solo material) and at least maintained a larger presence.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I really liked his last album a lot. I hope he's working on another one.

SteveM and mark ab like this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Absolutely! (You got there before I did.).

The soundtrack itself was finally issued on CD last year, and it's worth getting just for that one song.

10. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

Wasn't he about 45 by the time his solo album was released? There aren't many artists who start their solo career at that age.

11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

John Fogerty syndrome - once you don't have a bunch of less-talented (YMMV) but more charismatic guys to boss around, your legacy is based entirely on your old glories.

SteveM, gabbleratchet7 and Fullbug like this.
  12. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I have just started to explore solo Jerry, and I actually prefer that to the GD.

vegafleet likes this.
  13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

How strong would you like his solo career to be? He's not a great singer and he hasn't been terribly prolific, but all his albums are good. That's strong enough for me. I imagine they have not been very big sellers, but why would anyone expect that?

Sean, SteveM, Jeremy Holiday and 4 others like this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Robbie Robertson has not had a solo career song as good as Fogerty's Change in the Weather, much less Almost Saturday Night.

elgoodo and Larry Mc like this.
  15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I think the reason is he didn't really care. Make some music once in a while, if people want to listen they can, but I'm off the wheel. That's the impression I've always had.

SteveM, smoke and Defdum&blind like this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

A better question would be why is the Band heralded as rock gods?

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

His eponymously titled debut solo album from 1987 continues to impress me mucho.

Sean, Say It Right, SteveM and 3 others like this.
  18. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

What they were doing in that era of music was pretty unique, or at least bringing it to the mainstream. Plus Garth Hudson is a genius. That said, never heard then called rock gods. They have an important place in the evolution of popular music.

RRs new bio is a good read. Maybe glosses over some of the issues in the Band, but highlights why it came to an end. As for solo work, what caught me was how young he was when he joined Ronnie Hawkins. I can understand why it too him awhile to get back into making music.

19. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'll add Acadian Driftwood which for me is his best ever. It Makes No Difference is right up there too.

Sky Dawg, Sean, ohnothimagen and 5 others like this.
  20. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

As I've said before, my favorite thing he did was produce Beautiful Noise which I think is really good.

21. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Blame Geffen for not pushing a single to Top 40. "Testimony" would have been a great hit, even "Sweet Fire Of Love".

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

What a judgmental thread. (Though the appreciative comment are apt and welcome.)

It's impressive to see this jury of creative and mental giants gather to call a 73-old guy who (besides playing on some of the greatest, most legendary, and profound tours and albums ever made and writing some of the finest songs in the rock canon before his mid-thirties) has music credits on nearly 30 films (including a bunch with Martin Scorsese through his latest film, Silence), released half a dozen post-Band albums, did a slew of other creative work, raised three kids, and wrote an autobiography — to call this guy sort of unimpressive, kinda lazy, and generally not up to the highest standards of achievement.

What a crock.

23. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Why would you expect that when most post-band solo careers are disappointing.

24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Turns out he did need his Band-mates. Like Morrissey, Marr, Fogerty, Byrne, Ferry, and a whole ton of would-be solo artists.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

how about cuz he only came out with 1 good album?.....and that's "good"..and not great, or even you'd want to play it again ???????do yu think that may be the reason?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.