OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks!

wolfram likes this.
  2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Thanks, that makes sense. I know the PS3 had a firmware update that killed the ripping ability so that is why I always worry. I DO NOT want to have to go find another PS3...those are a pain to find and configure.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I assume the only way to disable it would be to make the player stop listening on port 2002 - which perhaps could cause other problems if they did that; or to do something to prevent the USB key from being able to inject the Autoscript into the player's RAM (I have no idea what would be involved with that...)

4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Has anyone called them and asked? They actually pick up their phones and are very knowledgeable about their products and the audio industry. One of the main decision points that I consider when selecting gear.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But why would one want to even mention this to Oppo ;). I'd say let it go and happy ripping 103/105 owners :).

Kyhl, JediJoker, scobb and 2 others like this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Indeed!

7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I am 100% sure they know....

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm sure they do. But why ask Oppo if they do this or that if it'll remove the capability to rip SACDs?

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Point taken.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Latest official firmware still permits ripping on my UK model 103D with multiregion board.

11. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

hey kids...had a friend make me a bluray disc of some footage of a band i used to play in. its on a dual layer bluray disc (50gb) and my 103 wants nothing to do with it. ive had zero issues with computer burned blu rays, but this might be first encounter with a dual layer one....any advice?

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You might not like this, but convert your disc into a mkv file, place it on a USB key and your Oppo shoul read it. :)

JediJoker and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Yes thanks. I was thinking that was my best option for this. I wonder how much does mkv compress vs. just copying the dual layer onto a single layer bluray disc?

14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Mkv is just a container for the original video file. It doesn't compress at all.

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  15. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I'll mess with it today and search out a mkv thread for guidance if needed.

wolfram likes this.
  16. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

On experimenting with both flac and DSD (dsf, dff) files, I have had the same problems with gapless into the USB ports of my 105D as you described a few pages back. Just a momentary pause in the music when the Oppo transitions between tracks in a folder, which can be disturbing for those medley-oriented sets of songs (and Dark Side...:rolleyes:).

However, I think my experience is with the earlier firmware, i.e., the latest firmware that existed when DSD ripping was discovered to work with the Oppo. I'll have to check the version. I'm hesitant to upgrade to lose the ripping function, even with some of the feedback now that suggests all is well. Since I don't think I have a lot of music that needs gapless, and assuming I move to a file-based solution with the Oppo, combining a few individual flac tracks into one or doing a single file if most of an album is this way can alternatively get around this issue (I have not ripped much to date, beyond backing up all my SACDs to iso files, and I don't have a large collection - but large enough in my room where I'll need more storage for my discs soon). I don't know, maybe I will be bold with the latest firmware.

Thanks.

Doug

17. wolfram

The new firmware currently discussed here is a beta version. That means, you can go back to earlier versions if you want to. So you risk nothing. Just make sure it's a beta you upgrade to, not an official firmware.

BTW,DSD will always have a gap. No gapless here.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. It's not a beta in the US anymore, where Doug is situated.. It's official there, which means that one can't downgrade.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. wolfram

Oh, I didn't know that. Is the beta still available somewhere? Maybe a fellow member can upload it to a Dropbox or something.

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Interesting. I had my FW update pop up on my 105D and I refused it. Can anyone in the US confirm this latest FW still allows for DSD ripping?

21. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

It still works on my official firmware version BDP10x-83-1226.

Cliff, randy9700 and tmtomh like this.
  22. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Not sure if it is any help to you, but Oppo UK have their latest firmware as 10XEU-80-1031 dated November 11th 2015, which is what I installed on my 103D when I got it last week. This allows SACD ripping.

According to the Oppo USA site, the latest official firmware is DB10X-131030 dated 23td January 2017. Clearly, big difference in both dates and terminology and as a newcomer to Oppo players I cannot explain that.

23. That's because the latest beta is already official for the US version, but not official yet for the EU version.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Must be the differences between US and EU models for the different firmware dates and content. There is a beta FW dated 1/18/17 on the Oppo UK site.

Oppo UK - OPPO - Contact Us »
    Oppo US - OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer »

25. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.