Movies you walked out on or wanted to walk out on

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

A Man Called Horse. I took the luvly Ms. Marie Turner to it back in the day. A fine lady but not into "edgy" stuffs. About the time they hung ol Richard Harris by his nipples in whatever ritual they were portraying I knew it was time to go. That was a good call as we ended up having a great evening.

Mrs. Nasty and I walked out on Monty Python And The Search For That Holy Grail. At the time, we just didn't get it. Big mistake, corrected many times over, with repeated viewings thru the years.

Birdman. Watched it at home on HBO. The luvly Mrs. Nasty and I made it halfway thru and decided we weren't "in" enuf to enjoy it. Turned it off.

The Gift. Turned it off halfway thru. A friend said that was a mistake and insisted we watch it all the way thru. Next time it came on we did and. man, was he ever right. One of the best act 3 of a movie I've ever seen.

One I wish I'd turned off, Ticked Off Trannies With Knives. Had to watch it all thru as a friend helped produce and film it, and had a role in it.
    I kept waiting for the "camp" factor to kick in, a la, Rocky Horror Picture Show. No suck luck, thoroughly abysmal. Don't let the 5.5 on IMDB fool ya, only 550 votes and probably 200 of them are 10s from cast, crew, and fambly members.

Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives ยป

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  2. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Are you talking about the Gift movie with the married couple or the other one with the psychic?

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

The couple (Jason Bateman, Joel Edgerton, etc.)

4. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

I'm glad you stayed because that one was very good indeed. Slow build up but worth the wait. Man, that Gordo was really freaky.
    I haven't seen the other.
    I watched the Ticked off trannies with knives trailer, it seemed promising in its camp humor but it's probably one of those movies that don't do well for more than an hour.

Off topic : The invitation was very good too.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I didn't walk out of Batman And Robin, but I had many problems with the movie:
    • Making Batgirl a relative of Alfred rather than her being the adopted daughter of Commissioner Gordon
    • Putting Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy together in the movie despite the two characters having little in common
    • While Schwarzenegger gave a good performance as Mr. Freeze, the one scene where he is watching TV in bunny slippers worked against his performance by making him appear silly. Plus, his costume was much too overcomplicated (it would have been better to go with a plain and functional outfit like in Batman - The Animated Series, especially since this version of Mr. Freeze is based on the one in the animated series).
    • The entire movie had the feel of the 1960s Batman TV series...something the first two movies moved away from to their benefit.

6. I go to the theater so infrequently these days that there is virtually zero chance of me walking out of it. It is something that I really want to see or has received incredible reviews, so I will stick it out regardless.

In my "Starving Student" days, my girlfriend (now wife) and I would go to the 99 cent theater (reruns) on occasion. I took her to see Death Wish. She walked out, therefore, I left as well. Only time I can think of.

On the other hand, I watch "New" Movies (to me) on TV all of the time. There are so many of those I tried to watch and then gave up that I have no clue what the total number would be. You can throw a bunch of Will Ferrell movies in there to start with, then follow it up with the "Stoopid" movies (Dumb & Dumber, the sequel, Kingpin, etc), and throw in some hardcore "Chick Flicks" and have a good starting point.

7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As weird as Gordo was, the real revelation to us was Jason Bateman's ultimately completely despicable character. Yes, that onion took awhile to peel but it was well worth the wait.

barnaby likes this.
  8. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Did you wonder if he actually deserved to have his life broken for what he did though?

9. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Mo Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things working against Simon:

1) "apology" to Gordo . Yup, he's still a bully
    2) False E-mails that cost his competitor a chance at the "promotion" (and his competitor's job)

Without Gordo's intervention we still have the fake E-mails. That alone cost Simon his job and possibly his wife. Their marriage didn't appear to be very solid to begin with.

Of course Gordo putting doubt in Simon's mind over the parentage of his wife's child was icing on the cake.

I thought both leads did great jobs, especially Bateman.

barnaby likes this.
  10. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Yeah he was a bad man but still I couldn't help but think that whatever happened to him, Gordo was quite the psycho anyway. That staging with the wife, and the ending, he's got to be sick anyway.

11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I've only walked out of a movie due to technical issues (sound cut out for several minutes). I really wanted to walk out of Pootie Tang, but was with a group and had to suffer through it.

12. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Oh yea, Gordo was no angel but, he was the eternal underdog and, on that front, he gets at least a partial pass, lol. Simon's character pushed a lot of hot buttons in me.

barnaby likes this.
  13. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

More and more as the movie goes along indeed, but breaking him like that didn't exactly make Gordo top dog either.
    More like a... cunning little nutcase from hell?

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I walked out of Deliverance when I was 16. It was a free screening at a college I was attending (summer arts program), so no big deal. It was just a thoroughly unpleasant movie.

Carl Swanson likes this.
  15. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Very strange movie.
    I can't believe they did a movie like that in 1972.
    That was pretty groundbreaking though. You see that stuff everyday now with the Wrong turn series and all, but back then?

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

The home video copy came with two red straws.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wanted to leave during the "Amityville Horror" remake from 2005. It was giving me a headache. Just a bunch of loud noises.

Actually did walk out during "Menace 2 Society". My friend dragged me to it on the fourth of July. Saw one too many Koren grocers get capped and left him there. Not my cup of ripple.

18. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

I walked out on "Kung Fu Panda 3". Not the worst I've seen, but I was definitely not into that mood.

Also I fell asleep three times during "Under The Skin".

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Wrong Turn" and all that crap owes more to horror movies than Deliverance. At least Deliverance was about semi-realistic human situations and not just a jimmied-up slasher movie. But nevertheless there was nothing enjoyable about it, especially for me at 16.

I seem to remember that the 70's was a beginning of making movies that were supposedly saying, "Here's Real Life in all its brutality and grief and the moral is that life is meaningless. Enjoy your popcorn." :laugh:

barnaby likes this.
  20. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Talk about having your eyes opened on the wonders of the world at 16 indeed. :laugh:
    I actually liked the first batch of Wrong turn movies, before the series took a... wrong turn...
    Deliverance didn't seem too realistic to me though but I'm still amazed that not only was it made in 1972, but it was a success too.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

I'm guessing you're already aware of this, but it's literally a shot-for-shot remake of the original. It's more of an experiment than a stand-alone film. Every shot and every word of dialogue is the same as Hitchcock's version.

I guess I'm just a bit confused because you use words like "bad and misguided". I can't imagine what complaints someone could have about it other than specific complaints about certain actors or the fact that's it's in color. Or do you mean it was "misguided" of Van Sant to even attempt that experiment at all?

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Shrek Sequel (pick a number) I blame myself

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Only 2 spring to mind. As a family we walked out of 'The Butterfly Effect' as it looked as though the dog was going to get blown up. We don't do violence to animals.
    Plus, the wife & I endured about 2 ****-numbing hours of the God-awful 'Thin Red Line' before agreeing it was bloody boring and our time could be better spent flossing the cat's teeth or constructing matchstick models. I can usually find some good in most things but those two I have no intension of ever bothering with again.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Too cheap to actually walk out, but I zoned out on:

"Labyrinth"--only knew that Bowie was in it; did not expect to be surrounded by second graders. My opinion has softened a bit, which is good, since my kids have watched it a billion times on DVD.

The two Quentin Tarentino films I tried before I realized he bugged me, a lot.

"Cape Fear"--this was an actual walkout, but not because I hated the film. The infamous ear scene made me suddenly, violently nauseous, even though it wasn't the most gruesome I'd ever witnessed.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - you went to see all 3 sequels and walked out on all of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.