The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

this thread always makes me say " yeah, I haven't heard that in a while"

Pants Party, Marzz, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Gene Norman Presents excerpts from two editions of this group recorded in California in 1954. Four tracks are from the Pasadena Civic Auditorium on 7/13/54, with Teddy Edwards (ts), Carl Perkins (p) & George Bledsoe (b). The other four are from the Shrine Auditorium, L.A. on 8/31/54 with Harold Land (ts), Richie Powell (p) & George Morrow (b). The sound is better than I expected & Brownie's playing exceptional. The dates & locations I give are from jazzwestcoachresearch.blogspot.com by James A. Harrod, entry for 6/7/16. The tracks were edited, with tenor & piano solos shortened. A CD issued by Fresh Sound has the tunes unedited, taken from a tape supplied by Teddy Edwards. Clifford got married during this stay in California, on 7/16/54, to Emma LaRue Anderson & a reception was held at the Tiffany Club. Guests included the new band as well as Red Norvo & Tal Farlow, who were playing the club.

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note mono BLP-4160) .... recorded December 1963 .... Andrew Hill (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Eddie Khan (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... following "Black Fire" Andrew Hill`s sequel on Blue Note offers again dark and restless compositones - the use of two bass players intensifies the forementioned characteristics and the sensitive drumming by Roy Haynes keep things perfectly under control .... this Blue Note Mono release from 1966 carries verily fantastic sound ....

4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note mono BLP-4179) .... recorded August 1964 .... Jackie McLean (as) + Charles Tolliver (tp) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Cecil McBee (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... following master works like "One Step Beyond" or "Destination Out" and his problem related break Jackie McLean returned with a new Quintet and all compositions here are either by the leader or energetic trumpet player Charles Tolliver .... the rhythm section contributes substantially with some fervent playing by Herbie Hancock and both Cecil McBee and Roy Haynes are pushing the whole session .... another divine sounding Blue Note Mono release from 1965 ....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Mr. Harrod's blog is jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com. He has really done some digging & there's lots of interesting information.

Marzz likes this.
  6. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Billy Harper, Live on Tour in the Far East, Volume 1

[​IMG]

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Tom Scott And The L.A. Express - S/T (1973)

Ode/Legacy/Columbia EK 64959

My first spin. Groovy stuff!

A younger coworker who primarily listens to "depressive funeral doom metal" suddenly took interest in this album after seeing the cover art :laugh:

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, Marzz, ronfint and 4 others like this.
  8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Picked this up as well, recently. Superb album, beautifully recorded.

Voltaire likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

A beautiful sunny morn in the PNW (believe it) and this is still in heavy rotation.

Fela Ransome Kuti: And His Koola Lobitos

Fela's 'Trumpet Period' anyone? A far too often overlooked period in his development that was pre-Afrobeat and pre-Africa 70, neither of which could have happened without this developmental and experimental stage of Fela finding his voice. This is a killer varied program that draws from many wells......including Miles as evidenced below. Originally issued on Parlophone in 1969 this Knitting Factory 3-fer compiles his sides from Parlophone, Phillips and EMI.

[​IMG]

10. AxiomAcoustics

Isn't it? A gorgeous sounding album with quite an overarching analog feel to it. This was recorded at Studios La Buissonne, Pernes-les-Fontaines by Gerard de Haro. He recorded much of Louis Sclavis' catalog for the label at the same studios with equally fine results. Devinitely check them out if you are so inclined.

I'm guessing that some of these engineers, including Stefano Amerio who also does a stellar job, will be getting more and more work from Eicher as JEK is getting up there in years. Although Eicher is of equal age. I wonder if he is mentoring someone?

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Tom Scott - Rural Still Life (1969)

2015 Impulse!/Universal Japan UCCI-9279 "Impulse! Classics 50" series; 20-bit K2 mastering by Shigeo Miyamoto under supervision of Tamaki Beck

First spin, digging it so far. It's a step or two down the 'smooth jazz' spectrum from where I normally hang out, but still very enjoyable.

[​IMG]

12. AxiomAcoustics

Newman Baker and Thurman Barker, or is that Newman Barker and Thurman Baker? Both drummers and I always have to watch so as not to get the surname spelling mixed up.

ronfint likes this.
  13. Double Dexter session!

I've just listened to the two albums from this 5CD box that I hadn't previously heard, and they both sound marvellous.

[​IMG]
    5 Original Albums - Dexter Gordon (Blue Note)

First up...

[​IMG]

Dexter Calling...-Dexter Gordon (Blue Note)

Released 1961

followed by

[​IMG]

A Swingin' Affair - Dexter Gordon (Blue Note)

Released 1964

This neat and compact box has no bonus tracks on the featured albums and there is no booklet. All albums are issued in original replica carboard sleeves.

This is yet another superb and genuine budget price box. Based on what I have heard it is one well worth checking out, especially if you are missing out on any of the included titles.

Mik, ronfint, vanhooserd and 10 others like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

Not to be confused with "Extreme Depressive Suicidal Funeral Doom Metal" or "Pure Depressive Black Funeral Doom Metal" :laugh:

15. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]

For fans of Sun Ra.

16. AxiomAcoustics

Charles Mingus: A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry with....

Charles Mingus – bass
    Jimmy Knepper – trombone
    Shafi Hadi – tenor and alto saxophone
    Bill Hardman – trumpet (on "Nouroog")
    Clarence Shaw – trumpet
    Dannie Richmond – drums
    Horace Parlan – piano (on "Nouroog", "Duke's Choice", "Slippers"; left hand during final solo on "New York Sketchbook")
    Bob Hammer – piano (on remaining tracks)
    Mel Stewart – voice (narration on "Scenes in the City")

[​IMG]

1957? Could be 2057>

17. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

You are not alone...

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Unfortunately, a lot of ECM albums leave me cold from just listening to samples. It keeps me from buying a lot of them. I can check them out on Hoopla for two weeks, up to six a month, but they aren't all there. In particular, some new releases don't show up right away.

Voltaire likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'll bet someone already posted this. I don't care!

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Said it here before and caught a lot of flak, but there are very few ECM albums that I like, most leave me totally cold and uninvolved.

rxcory and soundfanz like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I won't make you listen to this one then. :)

John Abercrombie Quartet – Arcade [in The First Quartet box] (ECM Records)
    — With Richard Beirach, George Mraz, Peter Donald

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik, ronfint, AxiomAcoustics and 8 others like this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Stan GetzMoments in Time (Resonance Recordings)
    — Stan Getz (tenor sax), Joanne Brackeen (piano), Clint Houston (bass), Billy Hart (drums)

[​IMG]

— Recorded live at Keystone Korner, San Francisco.
    — Tunes by Jobim, Shorter, Wheeler, Silver, Gillespie, Ellington, Rowles.
    — Includes 28 page booklet with notes by producers Zev Feldman and Todd Barkan; notes by Branford Marsalis, Joshua Redman and Steve Getz; a short essay by Ted Panken on Getz and
    these recordings; and interviews with musicians Brackeen and Hart.

ronfint, rxcory, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  23. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I had a fall-off with ECM during many years.
    Then, maybe 5 years ago, I began listening to them again.
    Now I can't get enough of these beautiful aural landscapes.

24. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Horace Silver Quintet/Sextet - The Jody Grind (1966)
    Horace Silver with Woody Shaw (trumpet), Tyrone Washington (Tenor sax), James Spaulding (alto sax & flute on 3 tracks), Larry Ridley (bass), Roger Humphries (drums).
    :cool:
    [​IMG]
    (Blue Note CD 1991)

Mik, fingerpoppin, ronfint and 10 others like this.
  25. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

I didn't learn of Lateef's passing until today.

Yusef Lateef ~ The Blue Yusef Lateef

Atlantic, 1968

[​IMG]