Am I the only one that thinks Laugh-In is still funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I usually watched during it's six-season run.
    I just saw an episode of The Joey Bishop Show with Henry Gibson as delivery boy "Henry Shultz".
    Laugh-In had it's classic moments,, such as this:

"The Hereafter" - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Wish ALL the episodes were on DVD (or at least netflix).

Darryl

OldSoul likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that a show like Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In would be impossible to make today. There are many movies that would be impossible to do today as they were when they were released. Two that come to mind are National Lampoon's Animal House and The Party Animal (released in 1984 per Wikipedia and has at least one thing in it that would offend every viewer in an audience).

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree. To me, Green Acres (GA) is the odd show of the Henning Trio (which included The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction). Whenever characters from the other two shows appeared on GA they seemed to be a bit nervous like they wanted to get out of there as soon as possible since they sense the strangeness of the people there. The bizarre nature of the show made me wonder if Fox Mulder (from The X-Files) grew up in Hooterville...:wtf:

Gumboo and Vidiot like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I thought they only ran 70 of them, not the whole run.

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

To answer the original question, unwatchable and unfunny today. Just doesn't hold up. Many shows don't. Welcome Back Kotter for instance.

Dan C and milankey like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I watched one show for awhile last night. I smiled a lot, but I don't know if it was nostalgia over the bright colors, Goldie, R&M's back and forth, or the jokes. A lot of it fell flat for me, I must admit. I really find the Henry Gibson poems grating now. I never was particularly amused by them.

8. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I have fond memories of watching Laugh-In when I was very young. I liked the end when the stars pop out of the wall and tell jokes.

When they syndicated the half-hour versions in the 80s I anxiously tuned in, but I didn't think they were that great.

But when I caught some full episodes on Trio and now if I watch them on YouTube, I enjoy them a lot. I don't really find them that funny because the humor is so dated, but I love the zaniness, the color, the editing, the old references, the pretty girls and their legs, etc. The one thing I don't like is the musical numbers - I think they are horrible!

gotityet0 likes this.
  9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Funny to me + Judy Carne (Yummy but oh so crazy!)

gotityet0 likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just watched some of an episode on YouTube, and it does seem dated but not all that topical. I'd forgotten the 10-second skits they used to do. It seems like an American Monty Python with much less intellectual content and way more old showbusiness cheese. I'll be sure to finish the episode later, it's very nostalgic.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.