Beatles Anthologies ....Largely Forgotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Outtakes usually means outtake for a reason. It did not take the A1, A2, or A3 to reveal this fact. It was never about 6 long CDs that were supposed to be as great as the original issued recordings.

I think that there are some stunners in the collection, some gems, or oddities. I can't get over how cool that alt take of "Come Together" is. So cool to hear that never booted item.

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I'm not familiar with Zenne's book, but the "song" titles I recognize from everything else I read in the late 1970s. Question: when did "You Know What To Do" start to be discussed? I don't remember hearing a thing about it until Anthology I.

3. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Not heard this for a while, so can't remember any mix differences, but from memory it has an extra verse, which is cool to hear :)

sunspot42 and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Indeed:

Nice to have the time
    To take this opportunity
    Time for me to look at you
    And you to look at me.

Very George.

5. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Thanks

Klassik likes this.
  6. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

The version I have runs 8 minutes. A lot of great extended jamming, chanting, etc. Not just repetition of what was already presented in the official release.

I'll take any extra Beatles music I can get, even if it is just a minute or so.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"enormous proportion." [​IMG]

8. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yes, should have been on Anthology. I've always wondered if someone forgot about it.

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I play them fairly often too. Since their core catalog is burned into my memory banks, I love having this alternate look at their works.

There's basically almost an entire Get Back album in there -- the white album tracks are stunners. Just about all of the live tracks are great. I love the alternate Eight Days a Week, I'm Looking Trough You, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, all of them, etc.

If this is "scraping the bottom of the barrel" then please scrape some more! :winkgrin: :wave: There were FOUR Beatles -- there needs to be FOUR Anthology discs!!

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

theMess and hoover537 like this.
  11. Ben in Colorado

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    theMess likes this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I don't think a Beatles collection is complete without them. There really are some incredible songs in there. When you consider that Strawberry Fields and Obla-di-Obla-da had 100s of takes, hearing a few of the discarded is really special.

13. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

This has VERY much piqued my interest. Is there tons of stuff I probably haven't heard? Or is it mostly just alternate takes that sound basically the same but rougher? Is there any material that I definitely need to hear? My opinion of Beatles stuff has generally been that the released takes are clearly the best version of a tune and the works-in-progress aren't incredibly interesting, but I'd definitely be willing to revisit those notions. :)

14. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Coming off another thread about Now and Then the unfinished third Threetle track, it occurred to me that Anthology, as a project, was a bit of a very successful mess.
    It achieved the original aim which was to get some of the Beatle success that Apple/The Beatles had not shared in during seventies legal odyssey, during which everybody else was making money off them!
    But there was a lot of confusion in it because the project had essentially remained as per its original orientation as the unreleased The Long and Winding Road documentary (now with owned elements).
    The story of George Martin's conversion from 'everything worth releasing was released' to 'here's six cds of great unreleased material' has to be some kind of qualifier in the idea that it was a project the principals really felt (which may influence how they feel about it even now).
    The production delays meant that book didn't even make it into the same millennium as the CD/Doc components so that was another major bug in things.
    And then there was the most contentious bit, the making and marketing of the 'new' tracks which didn't end well with the band being embroiled in the 'changing of the old guard' at the BBC in terms of playlisting policy and age-target demographics.

Overall, therefore, the Anthology project had an artistic aspect of finishing an idea that came at the end of the band, putting down an account on the record from the band, but many more aspects which were more commercial like supporting the project with albums, (which finally occasioned archival extractions for release) and promoting the albums with singles.

Despite all of that, I am certain that by the time of the DVD version, Apple were rightly proud of it and all items in the protracted campaign, including the iTunes recently, have much more than 'returned on investment'

And I do expect it will (probably soon) have a new lease of life.
    The thing about Anthology is that it came when Beatles stock was at a low ebb. Others have written at length on how it put them back on radio in the USA for the first time in a decade.
    This 'outage' was the result of a scenario we're again near the end of...too much Beatle anniversarying and repackaging.

So I think 'Anthology' will once again have the potential to reinvigorate stock at a future date, particularly as McCartney is possibly going to provide some marketing potential again by finishing that third Threetle track.
    I'm sure there's plenty of cutting room floor that could make it and that a lot of it is currently in Ron Howard's studio :p

I'd like to think it'll be before somebody dies but with other items in the chain of production/release, that may not be the case but the easy money is on networks buying rebroadcast rights at some point even if they're not repackaged meanwhile. I think I'd be right in assuming that a network could rebroadcast it at any time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Enormus", "Unknown", he still overhyped the bejesus outta that take:laugh:

Drifter likes this.
  16. omar!

omar! Well-Known Member

this is the correct answer

17. Ben in Colorado

18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Rubber Soul had only THREE tracks of his sessions, really non sense.

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

quick question about anthologies on CD, 1st Pressings was released in BIG longboxes or Normal longboxes? I see both.

normal
    [​IMG]

big
    [​IMG]

20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Both size boxes were released at the same time and are “first editions.” They were simply used by different types of retailers. At the time, “Anthology” was being offered for sale at drug stores and grocery stores. They seemed to favor the smaller long boxes while the bigger boxes were favored by record stores. (This was true for the cassette version, too: Two size boxes, both issued on the release date.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I also like this volume 3 very much! But I can see how others might prefer vol. 2 with the psych period nicely represented.

DRM and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  22. Plexiclone

Plexiclone Forum Resident

I listen to the Anthology CDs regularly. I really enjoy the first cd with the tracks they did in someone's living room, That'll Be The Day, et al.

905, The Beave and somnar like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Anthology 1 had some spoken word,prefer 2&3. You don't here much about Beatles Live at the BBC(better cover).

24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'm still waiting for the third bloody new song ! Let's see, 22 years, 23 years, soon to be 24.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I doubt they got very far with it (it was "Now And Then", right?) if they did anything at all of note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.