Regrets over parting with cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Funk, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have 2-3000 still.

Most are Bootlegs (Dead, Tuna, JGB) and other Shows I recorded over the years...

I have 3-4 Three Head Decks, and a few Two Head Decks in various systems throughout the house and Cassettes get listened to every day.
    Usually when I am Cooking / Cleaning and don't feel like flipping records.

I also have a couple R2Rs for the same reason.

2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I have a lot of cassettes of stuff recorded off the radio, dj banter and all. Many of them I did track listings for that go back as far as 1971. I hang on to them for personal reasons and they still play.

Why dump 'em?

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do like cassettes but like many others got rid of most of mine. I kept 'Complete Madness' which I got for my 8th birthday. After probably 100s of plays it still sounds decent.

I also still have a handful of tapes with radio sessions I taped on. I threw away the tapes that were just home copies of albums from friends. I had loads of those. I either sold or gave the pre recorded ones to charity. I can't bring myself to throw away music that still plays well on any original format.

I don't regret getting rid of my tapes because I already have too much music without considering another format. I also got rid of all my VHS tapes but I transferred a lot of those to DVD-R first.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You'll have some rare and sought after material on those.

rgrainger likes this.
  5. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Not really. I'm using these great new digital formats called CD and FLAC, they don't get tangled up in playback heads.

timind and starduster like this.
  6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Still got a few. Mostly radio shows or bits of radio shows with the DJ on, Tommy Vance and Fluff Freeman. Converted a few to digital. I never bought many new, not after my Queen' Greatest Hits and Quo's To Be Or Not To Be wore out / got mangled one time too many.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sold all mine not long ago.

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Oh I gave it quite a few listens back then. Good stuff. I've long since had it on CD. But isn't it basically obsolete as all the tracks are now available elsewhere?

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Cassettes don't necessarily sound bad. The XDR series ones sounded excellent.

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It may well be. If I recall correctly, only about 18 or so of the tracks were "new" in '86 and many of those, if not all, can be found on Side Tracks. Still, there's something about the sequencing on Biograph (and for me, the reality that I bought it shortly after my I Found Bob moment) that makes it a great listen after these many years.

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Still have hundreds of them. In my college years on average I had 15 brand new lp's from the public library (excellent condition). Stuff I would check out apart from vinyl I bought. About one third are taped FM broadcast and audience recordings or bootlegs. Still have the tiny notebooks with index of all the numbered tapes (pick any number and might even remember the contents). The pre-recorded ones came in handy on holidays in the 90's to bring for the rental car.

12. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Had a ton of em but as soon as CDR came out they got transfered.

13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Once I discovered CDs, I gave up cassette tapes. I have never regretted it either.

14. bpwlogan

bpwlogan Member

I still have about 250 cassettes and play some of them on a regular basis. I've bought some new ones lately too. A lot of the new ones that I've picked up have been soundtrack reissues. I can get three new cassettes for the price of one vinyl so why not. I like having a tangible aspect to my listening experience. I went to Urban Outfitters about a year ago or so, and along with the vinyl they carry I saw cassettes. I never thought I'd see cassettes in the mall again that's for sure.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Edited the thread title (added "parting with") to better align with the first post. Please continue...

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, but that was a lot different than opening a $9 cassette to have it sound like garbage and not last very long. You could make some incredible tapes buying your own cassettes. I loved those metal tapes in the metal cases...man, those sounded amazing! I think those were also made by TDK and it beccame almost all I used. But official tapes from the majors? No way. They did get much better towards the end, as did vinyl. I had much more nostalgia towards vinyl back then than cassettes. I even feel more notstagia for eight tracks, though I would never play one now while at least some cassettes do sound very good on the right deck.

bpwlogan likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I noticed that now Goodwill will not take back electronics for any reason. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I have bought too many electronic items that didn't work to take a chance. Geez, they get it for free...why have a policy like that? Even if people return them for bogus reasons they can simply be resold. Really dumb move. That has to effect sales. Kudos for at least making the policy clear, however.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

no regrets

19. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Vance's Friday Rock Show & John Peal accounted for much of my library.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was an avid tape trader...used to send out/receive dozens cassettes a month with bootleg material. It was a hassle, but I miss the feeling of anticipation and discovery, waiting for a specific recording to arrive in the mail. Now almost everything is a mouseclick away. Boo hooo.

kanakaris and Guitarded like this.
  21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I tossed all my cassettes about a decade ago. There weren't that many and I doubt I would have played them again anyway, so there's no real regret. I had cassettes for years, but it was an ever revolving "collection" because tapes got garbled all the time. As a result I never had an affinity for the format. Once I got into CDs I never looked back.

Ethan B likes this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Combing through Classifieds, waiting for Lists, sending out blanks, receiving blanks...

I totally miss that.

DTK likes this.
  23. Never bought a pre-recorded cassette release, and never had the urge to - but I was big on making my own mix tapes with high-quality blanks from vinyl sources back in the day. But the advantages - both convenience and sound-wise - of having everything resident on a hard drive with the means to easily create playlists and export them to my digital playback mechanism of choice is so obvious and manifest, that I've never given a second thought to getting rid of them.

Nostalgia is fine sometimes - but other times, you just have to move on with things...

24. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Never got to experience cassettes, but I might start collecting them

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I loved making cassette tapes back in the day but I pitched well over a thousand tapes, and don't miss a single one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.