2 CD (or more) thick box which has thin "foam" insert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The foam in my ABBA The Singles fatboy CD rotted away and attached itself to the discs! I've got as much of it off as I can and they seem to play OK...After this, I went through the rest of my fatboys and chucked away all the foam inserts in them.

Hotdog likes this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

When I ripped my CDs a few years back I threw them out. None stuck to the CDs but they were an ugly brown.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The foam in my original RCA CD of Bowie's Stage had begun to stick to the label side of the disk. I got most of it off, but there's still a few specks. This thread reminds me that Onneed to go through my fanboy CD's and toss those foam inserts.

Mr. Explorer and snowman872 like this.
  4. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I bought a used copy of Electric Ladyland on Polydor with the same foam issue. Immediately threw the foam away. Any ideas how to remove the sticky crap from the CDs?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Yes, and I recently opened it and the foam had turned to dust. A lot of it stuck to the non-play side of disc 1, so I had a lot of fun wiping it off :shake:. Disc still plays fine though, so I'm happy for that. I looked through my other fat boys, and found two more with foam and threw away the foam inserts. 3SL was the only one that stuck to the disc.

6. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

if it has already corrupted the label, you won't get it out.
    I generally use water and neutral soap to clean nasty CDs (except sticky Nimbus), but with my "foamed" one it didn't work. particles of foam were "engraved" into the label.

7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The same thing happened to my first copy - double-wide case with, I think, a tan foam insert. Some kind of chemical from the foam oxidized both discs so they turned yellow-brown and wouldn't play. My replacement copy is in a slim 2-disc case, no foam, and it hasn't given me problems. (Although I haven't played it in a while.)

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Absolutely. Throw these foam inserts away now.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Any reason why this stuff was included in the first place?

10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

to keep the discs steady. without it, it was common for them to fall out of the tray during movement/shipping

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, pros and cons indeed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Do you remember where you bought the slim 2 disc case version?

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That's some nice foam.

c-eling likes this.
  14. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Kiss Alive II (fat box remastered by Marino)

15. GP

GP Senior Member

Ummagumma. West German Fatboy, long box, yellow foam. Still have the whole package in the shrink wrap.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Do you plan on taking it into the afterlife? :D

17. SJB

It was years ago. It's possible that I bought it in a wide case and then moved the discs into a slim case - I did that with a lot of discs to save space, and the spine print doesn't say "Monty Python," so it's likely that the front inlay (wherever it is now) had that information on it.

18. The Hud

Cool. I added it to my Amazon wish list. I have the box set with all the albums, but the skits do not have separate track numbers, so you have to listen to the whole thing. I really like the skits on The Final Ripoff. I will just remove the foam it that is how it still is packaged.

19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Imagine the disappointment to have preserved it for so long only to take it to your grave and find out the foam has destroyed the discs. Bummer. :shh:

20. SJB

I've got the box set as well. It annoyed me that they didn't divide the tracks, and also they rearranged parts of Monty Python's Previous Record.

A few years ago, they reissued all the albums with track divisions and bonus tracks, some more essential than others. My biggest complaint with the expanded reissues is that they didn't keep all the elements of the original packaging. Matching Tie & Handkerchief, for example, doesn't include Gilliam's inner sleeve illustration - even though the liner notes mention that picture. And the original Another Monty Python Record included a script and cut-out props for "Be A Great Actor," not to be found in the CD packaging. But overall, the expanded reissues are very worthwhile.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. The Hud

I would really like the expanded reissues, but last time I looked, they were pretty expensive. I wish I would have bought them when they first came out.

22. The Hud

Just checked again, the prices are a bit cheaper now. Put the expanded reissues on my Amazon wish list. :)

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I would. :)

24. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

my WINGS OVER AMERICA doublé cd with thick box

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I always associate those foam inserts with CDs pressed outside the United States. That's probably because the first time I encountered one was inside a UK Now That's What I Call Music! 2-CD fatboy case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.