All-format BD player with analog video output wanted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim Müller, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade, err, replace my DVD player with an all-format player.

It should play all Blu Ray formats, all DVD formats (DVD-video, DVD-Audio!), SACD, etc.
    Also, it should have analog video outputs (PAL or NTSC, configurable) for all formats. Of course, picture quality will be much worse than what you can achieve with HDMI, but I have some older equipment with only analog video input, that's why.

Of course, audio connections should include S/PDIF digital, as well as analog stereo and analog multichannel.
    If SACD and DVD-Audio multichannel could be converted into dts oder Dolby digital formats, would be great.

Also, I think my AV receiver can handle digital audio up to 96kHz I guess, so higher sampling rates should be downsampled. I don't mind when SACD-DSD audio gets converted into PCM for that reason.

Is such a player available at all?

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

IMHO and IME............

A used OPPO BDP-83 or 93 will be absolutely PERFECT for your needs!!!!

Should you wish for even higher analog SQ however.........then the 83SE..........and if your budget allows.........the newer BDP 95............ would suit beautifully.

Info on each Model.........

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

SamS and bluemooze like this.
  3. Tim Müller

Thank you for your answer.

My current setup:
    AV receiver with coax./optical digital input. Capable of decoding dts and Dolby Digital Surround (5.1)
    DVD player is connected via coax. digital. Surround sound is decoded by AV receiver, and, more important, speaker managment (level and delay, crossover to subwoofer) is made by AV receiver.
    HDMI connectors are on the AV receiver, but I think it just passes video and audio through to HDMI output, and cannot extract audio from HDMI inputs...

So, the best would be, if the player could convert all multichannel sound (including multichannel from DVD-Audio or SACD) into dts or Dolby surround, and pass it to the receiver via optical or coax digital outputs.

(And convert all video into analog composite video..)

Is the Oppo capable of this..?

4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Why do you think that? Have you tried it?

In most every AV receiver I am aware of, and certainly the two AV pre-pros that I own, if there is audio at the HDMI input, it is decoded and output to the speakers connected to the receiver.

The Oppo BDP-83 I recently sold was connected by HDMI only and produced beautiful sound no matter what the source; CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD or Blu-ray. My current Oppo UDP-203 outputs audio which is decoded in the AV pre-pro via HDMI perfectly well.

I specifically mention the Oppo BDP-83 because it was recommended above. I agree that it's a good choice and I can offer first-hand experience.

If your current DVD player has an HDMI output, connect it and try it. You may have to revisit the setup page of your AV receiver to tell it to expect audio from HDMI and not optical, coaxial or analog, but I am confident that most AV receivers can receive audio by HDMI and output it to the speaker terminals.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Further to chili555's good post..........

What AVR do you have?
    If it has M/C analog inputs you could connect up that way and let the player decode the lossless audio.

Also........AFAIK OPPO players don't "convert" audio as such rather than simply play the audio stream that YOU ask them too........ depending on HOW you are connected.

E.g.......If you try to play a DTS HDMA Blu Ray and you are only connected at Coax level...........you will get the lower quality ( but still decent) DTS core audio.

If a newer AVR is not on the cards and your current one has M/C inputs then you should hook up that way to hear everything properly decoded.

Hopefully your AVR has either M/C inputs or can at least accept PCM through its HDMI inputs which is still lossless (and a simpler connection!!).........
    You would simply set your OPPO to output "PCM" instead of "Bitstream" in its HDMI Audio Out menu.

BTW..........ALL the OPPO models mentioned have lossless decoding and speaker management tools on board.

Composite Video is very low quality and definitely not recommended for Blu Ray........or pretty much ANYTHING else!!!! ( a waste IMO)

Surely your display can handle a minimum of component video............yes??

Once again we don't know what you have.!!...................please fill in your Profile so it's easier to help you and save time in the future by not having to ask about your gear.

FWIW.........The ONLY reason that newer OPPO models weren't mentioned is because you specifically asked for ANALOG video out which is currently being phased out by ALL Manufacturers........the 95 was the LAST OPPO Model to support it.

Maybe you will need to consider a newer Display and a newer AVR to go with your newer player!!..........LOL

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Not really much point in getting a newer player that does higher res audio and video formats if your partnering equipment can't handle it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I haven't upgraded my players either because there is no point for me to do so either.

8. Tim Müller

The manual says so.

Furthermore, I don't care about "better" image quality of blu ray. I just want be able to play it, because of music multichannel titles available on blu ray only.

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Depending on the resolution capabilities and supported connections of your Display (s)........... it's quite possible that you will benefit from the higher video resolution offered by Blu Ray.
    Also........most Blu Ray players do a good job of upscaling the video quality of DVD too!!

So just a simple source change may bring you major PQ improvements at the very least.

BD players can be had for very cheap now so maybe you should investigate the possibilities.:agree:

10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

11. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

High resolution audio of Blu Ray will not be available over Coax or Toslink digital connections. Like SACD you will need HDMI or use analog audio outputs.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can get 24/48 Blu-ray audio from optical/coax. But yes, best resolution available from HDMI or analog.

13. Tim Müller

Hello,

thanks for the information.
    Yes, 48kHz is good enough for me.
    But I think, then on digital coax, the audio is just stereo, right?

I just wanted a blu ray player, to play - say - the latest beach boys multichannel pet sounds, from the 50th anniversary box. As there's some video included, I also wanted to play the video content, on my old tv set.

But it seems, that I would need to replace all of me equipment, DVD player and AV receiver, and the tv set, just to play a blu ray.

14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

We're still waiting to know the Brand and Model No's of your AVR and Display so we can give you the right answer!!!

chili555 likes this.
  15. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Try the Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD. Plays all high rez audio formats including FLAC burned to DVD-R and SACD iso DVD burns. Has analog outputs and costs 300 bucks. People say no difference in audio quality from an OPPO. Best Buy has it.

16. Tim Müller

It's an AVR that cannot handle HDMI, it just switches and passes it through to the output HDMI. Although it can decode 5.1 dts and Dolby on the coax/optical digital inputs. Therefore, for multichannel, it needs dts or Dolby encoded digital data, on the coax or optical inputs.
    Yes, it has an analog multichannel input, but that does not go through the DSP for speaker calibration, so it's not of much practical use.

Furthermore, it is a tv set with analog inputs only, composite and SCART.

Ah, and besides, my DVD player cannot play blu ray, SACD or DVD-Audio at all.

Why would you need to know brands and model numbers?

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

People want to know what you have because:
    They may have it or had it in the past and can tell you exactly how to handle your question.
    They want to read the manual so they can tell you exactly how to handle your question.

The Oppo BDP-105 also has analogue outs as that is the way I am using it. Not sure about the BDP-105D. It is connected analogue for SACD and coaxial for DTS/DOLBY DIGITAL for movies. HDMI goes to my TV only.

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

You would have to stick to a pre-2014 player, since later players are not allowed to have analogue video outputs.

Blu-ray players say goodbye to analog video - HomeTechTell

Tim Müller likes this.
  19. Tim Müller

Hello,

DVD-Video (for movies or music videos) goes perfectly by coax digital and dts/Dolby, and the analog video output.
    DVD-Audio does not work at all, because the player is not DVD-Audio compatible.

I dont mind or care for SACD stereo or DVD-Audio stereo (I could use analog connections to my AVR in this case). I am interessted in SACD and DVD-Audio only for multichannel audio.
    Also, regarding the blu ray, I am only interessted in blu ray because there's some audio titles (albums) with surround remixes, which are only available on blu ray, not on DVD.

Therefore, I need to feed the surround sound of SACD, DVD-Audio or Blu ray into my AVR, and be able to apply the speaker calibration of the AVR DSP on these audio.
    This does not work with neither HDMI nor analog multichannel inputs for my AVR, because its only 5 years old. It does not output any audio from HDMI to the speakers.
    It does not apply speaker calibration or any DSP ("soundfield programs") on analog multichannel inputs.

A work around would be a player that could do it's own speaker calibration, crossover frequency for subwoofer, etc. But that would not be comfortable.

But at least, it would work.
    Do the Oppo 83, 93 or 95 do this? Can you connect a microphone to the oppo to have an automatic calibration?

The AVR in question is a Yamaha RX 363.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is no microphone calibration on any OPPO disc players.

21. Tim Müller

Hello,

I think, I consider getting one of the Oppo players.
    Can someone tell me, what is the major difference between
    the 83, 93 and 95 models?

I quickly read the user's manuals, and operation seems to be the same.

22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

As mentioned in my earlier post............ALL OPPO's have on board speaker management tools.
    Why would using them not be "comfortable"?
    BTW........the LAST thing you would want to do is spoil good sound with fake DSP "soundfields" anyway!!!

I am CERTAIN that IN YOUR CASE using an OPPO connected at M/C analog level to your AVR will sound clearly BETTER than using a digital connection.
    All you need to do is use the OPPO's test tones with your own SPL meter and tape measure instead of using the Yamaha.
    There are free SPL meter phone apps out there if you don't want to spend money.

The main differences between OPPO models are DAC types which affect SQ and feature sets.
    Obviously the newer the model .......the more file types it can handle for example.....

A used OPPO 83 will do EVERYTHING you need, sound great to you and cost the least
    A used OPPO 83SE will do EVERYTHING you need, sound better in stereo and cost a bit more
    A used OPPO 93 will do EVERYTHING you need, sound great to you, offer some more features you may like and cost a bit more
    A used OPPO 95 will do EVERYTHING you need, have even better overall SQ, more features and cost the most

Just use your budget to determine which one to aim for.

LASTLY.......

It's possible that your TV's scart input is component video capable so by connecting a component to scart lead you CAN get MUCH better PQ.... if you want.
    I don't know for sure because you STILL haven't told us what model it is!!.............LOL

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    phantomime likes this.
  23. Tim Müller

Dear SIR,

there's ABSOLUTLEY no NEED to shout at me in CAPITALS every time.....

Well, I don't care much about "sounds a bit better", because I don't believe in "more costly DAs make better sound", or the like.

For me, 16Bits/48kHz is all that I need. That's good enough for me. Likewise, for my old tv set, composite video is all I need.
    But, I want to listen to multichannel, from blu ray, DVD-Audio and SACD.
    I don't care much about 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1, or whatever..., 5.1 is good enough for me.

The only reason for replacing my good old DVD-player with a new blu ray player is the release of Beach Boys Pet Sounds 50th anniversary Box set, with 4 CDs and one blu ray "pure audio" disc. Which contains some surround sound mixes and some video content, which I would like to play back on my existing equipment....

That's why I am only interessted in the feature difference between the different Oppo models, regarding playback of commercially available disks, formats or the like; surround sound set ups; speaker calibration; copy protection or playback prevention features, region codes.

I don't mind network features, I don't mind playback from USB sticks or the like (my DVD player can playback from sticks, but I never really used that feature at all...), so,
    I don't care about it and don't use it...

Thanks a lot for your help.

24. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

I have an OPPO 83 SE, bought 2nd hand a few years ago. I use it mainly for stereo playback, it does DVD-A as well as the very few Bluray audio discs I have. Sound is as good as I ever heard digital files - but: These older OPPOs have a built-in fan which starts after about 90 - 120 mins, and is audible between tracks and even during quieter passages. So playback for me is limited to that amount of time. (Glad I'm a vinyl enthusiast ...). Newer OPPOs shouldn't use these fans, you might want to keep rhat in mind.

25. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I never heard the fan on my BDP-83 at all.

Frankly, I think it is ideal for the subject of this thread. It has 7.1 analog outputs in addition to HDMI.

It only offers minimal speaker calibration; please see page 61 here: http://www.oppodigital.com/download/bdp83/bdp-83_english_manual.pdf By minimal, I mean there is no microphone and Audyssey or similar room correction available.

It is region limited; I would assume that any unit you bought in your home region would work perfectly. Otherwise, there are both hardware and firmware methods to make the unit region-free: Oppo BDP-83 REGION FREE Thread I've never tried these methods, but many others suggest it's easy and effective.

The BDP-83 plays CD, DVD, HDCD, SACD, DVD-Audio and, of course, Blu-ray. In my opinion, SACD playback is just stunning.

When I set a selling price for my unit, I researched pricing at Ebay and others and determined that the going price was, about 45 days ago, US $160-200. That may seem a lot for a used unit but Oppos are capable and quite reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.