Are you done buying music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by white wolf, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's all about the music but screw listening to Spotify? o_O

2. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I agree......it's ease over quality. Not my thing...

broshfab4 likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I never experienced that; for some reason I can always second-guess Spotify recommendations.
    But have you stopped buying physical media as a result?

4. Mike Campbell

we use back ground music in our home pretty much everyday,such as right now....but it is something I put on myself, that I control.

broshfab4 and DTK like this.
  5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Yes in a way I'm done due to space issues. I just put my couple hundred records on a shelf yesterday and I can't imagine buying a ton more.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Again, just a discussion here.

But this is what I have a hard time grasping...music over media, which I get. But Spotify for some reason is a no-go? Care to explain that? Is it because you have to control the actual media playing / mastering involved because that I could least understand somewhat.

More details would be appreciated, thanks.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Not done yet BUT....I've recently started the Herculean task of cataloging my LP/CD collection at Discog. Been at it for the past month. I'm finding/re- discovering so much music that it occurs to me that at 63 yrs old, I certainly own enough music to last what time I have left. But am I done buying? HELL NO!!!;)

steelydanguy and Mike Campbell like this.
  8. Mike Campbell

I only use Cd's.....Easier to store....not quite so heavy. My 800 lps are down the basement. No longer mess with Lps...

9. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

There was a point where I thought my hunt for Beatles albums would never end, but now I can see that I could quite possibly complete my collection within a 5 year period

10. Mike Campbell

If a person is a music lover, the search should never end.....I find a ton of music that I missed, or thought of as weak, that I now can revisit. Spending a lot of time this week, reorganizing my music library, what a pain....but has to be done. and finding lost things, or things I had misfiled...Found Zep 4....didn't even know it had been lost..its not one of the Zeps that I often pull out. so I hadn't missed it....just an example.

11. Synthfreek

How am I not controlling what I play on Spotify? Do you even know how it works? I think of an album I want to hear, enter the criteria in a search field then click play and it plays the album. It's not random like radio.

D.H. likes this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Can you upload stuff to Spotify that they don't already have? Just curious. I use Amazon for streaming and I can upload anything they don't have.

13. Mike Campbell

do I know how it works? A 5 year old knows how to use it.....I just choose not to use it....I don't like the sound quality. Not sure why that would bother anyone....It's the way I like it.

14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

If anything, I buy more as a result. Like I said, I use it in lieu of radio. Better because I can find stations a bit more suited to a specific sub-genre. And they play a lot of stuff I've never heard before that I sometimes then go out and buy.

I hear a lot of new-to-me stuff. Maybe I'm just less familiar with a lot of artists out there than you are.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Mike Campbell and DTK like this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

To my knowledge they don't have a music locker yet, which is what you're describing.

But you can do this with other music subscription services like Groove Music (using OneDrive), Google Play Music and I believe Apple as well via their iTunes Match service.

16. Synthfreek

I asked because YOU specifically said about your CDs, "it is something I put on myself, that I control." To me, this implies you have no idea how Spotify works or maybe you're just being argumentative because that's your M.O.

D.H. likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not sure why @Synthfreek 's comments are bothering you now. As you yourself stated, this should just be a discussion. So...we're discussing.

"I just choose not to use it" is fine btw. But when you say "why would anyone think this is the way to hear music..seems strange", again you're the one opening up the floor for replies.

D.H. likes this.
  18. Mike Campbell

I'm done here....Everyone enjoy the beautiful day...

19. Mike Campbell

Believe me, nothing is bothering me...nothing.

20. Mike Campbell

one final comment...ugh....anyone who went through kindergarden, can use spotify...that is not the issue here. I choose not to use it..i am done here. Thanks.

21. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I'll continue to buy music until the day I die.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  22. Mike Campbell

couldn't agree more....I have 14 cd's coming soon...

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Your posts seem to indicate otherwise.

As you said though...enjoy the day.

D.H. likes this.
  24. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I'm still doing a lot of buying, mostly CD singles from the 80s and 90s for all the b-sides and remixes. Also filling in holes as I discover artists who are new to me. Over the last few years I've heard Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Alan Parsons for the first time. Lots of releases to discover by just those three names. And with so many of the original pressings available on Discogs for less than $7 or $8 it's not breaking the bank to hear it all.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  25. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Spotify 320kbps sounds damn good to my ears on all my systems. In a way, Tidal sounded even better (more of a warm, open sound). Too bad the gaps in the catalog made me switch back. Modern premium streaming is impressive.

That said, I've never owned a receiver more than $800, so probably not an area I have much weight here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.