Record Stores in Iceland?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Michael Prete, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'll be in Reykjavik for a few days and was wondering if anyone know of some specific shops to check out. I'm interested in vinyl only. Thanks!

2. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Reykjavik Record Store & 12 Tonar. They seemed to have a decent collection of mostly Icelandic bands ( I would ask for their favorites unless you are into the Icelandic scene - not Sigur Ros or Bjork etc.). Its been a while....

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The OP might spend more on records than the plane ticket - for some reason, it is incredibly cheap to fly to Iceland from the east coast!

4. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

It is especially with WoW air now competing with IcelandAir....

5. erocky

erocky Senior Member

I have a great experience at Lucky's records a couple of summers ago. We bought a ton of records there. I actually thought that the prices were fair.

6. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations. Didn't wind up picking anything up, but had fun browsing in a few places. As someone from the US, there probably wasn't much that I would have bothered with, as common records that were imports to Iceland would naturally be more expensive that if you found them at home. My stops:

12 Tonar: Paltry vinyl selection aside from new records (as a rule, I don't buy new records when traveling). I had been here on my last trip in 2011, and it's a great little spot for independent and avant music, but don't get your hopes up if you're looking to dig a bit.

Reykjavík Record Shop: Really nice and varied selection, if small. Definitely worthy of a stop, I was impressed.

Smekkleysa Plötubúð: No used vinyl, walked in and out.

Lucky Records: Very impressive selection, and huge in comparison to the other shops. They had a great selection of Icelandic and Scandinavian records, as well as everything else. Some nice rarities on the wall as well. This is what a record shop should be if you're looking for the thrill of the dig.

Phishman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.