Lady Gaga - Super Bowl Halftime Show Mic Feed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Admit it, you guys are still pissed that the Patriots won.

Demolition Man likes this.
  2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Unless they start booking performers over the age of 70, I'm refusing to watch it or say anything good about it.

kannibal, Gaslight and D.H. like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Strictly talking about the performance, it takes a lot to pull that off. Its very difficult to sing and do the running around like that. Ive been a part of productions where we had to sing and do choreography. You can get winded pretty fast. Eventhough she is a stiff looking dancer, it still is very difficult to sing and do all the choreographed work in a small space and keep your pitch under control all the while not falling off the stage or stumbling face first going up the steps.

Before I wrote this I listened to all of her main albums (minus the Bennett one) one time. I remember when she first came out I enjoyed her hit song. Thought it was quirky and catchy. Then it seemed like she was trying very hard to be remembered rather than creating memorable songs that melodically stick to the minds dancefloor. Something that another more iconic blonde was able to do over many years. Or at least know the writers to go to and achieve this. She simply doesnt have much material that is going to be considered for all time. Personally Id rather see her continue a different route now. Something more PJ Harvey-ish. She may fancy herself a pop diva, but I think she is probably more spooky than she allows herself to be writing wise. Her last album had potential in this area. I think she may be more talented as a writer than weve heard so far. Which, imo, isnt *that* impressive.

As far as vocals. I hear her more as a Bette Midler kind of vocalist. She has a broadway thing about her. Yes, she can sing "pretty" when she wants to. See "The Sound Of Music" performance. But I dont think that is her natural talent. I dont think she has a particularly great voice, nor is it unique. But you can certainly tell she has worked damn hard and is very aware of what it is to sing correctly. a lot of liking or disliking a persons voice is subjective. For me, she doesnt do much as far as something that draws me in. But as a performer/ hard worker, she deserves respect even if it isnt my type thing.

Respect her for staying on pitch, not lipsynching and caring that she is entertaining her audience with 100% effort. At least youre getting what you paid for. And if you dont like her, then dont buy her music or spend money for her concert.

4. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

you're pretty much dead-on with my view on her.

sooner she gives up 'fancy herself to be pop diva', sooner we get the real Gaga. i think that's the main problem with her last few albums...her natural talent is leading her to be something else yet she just can't give up that 'longing to be accepted my mass' desire. i guess she's just very insecure and that's the main difference between her & the 'other blonde' despite Gaga having much superior musical advantage.

same thing with the voice...so many people are now focusing on her voice, it's fine and she uses it well but that is not her main strength...the natural artistic talent within being her biggest asset.
    still...i won't complain much. at least, people are focusing on something positive rather than some meat dress now. the tide has already turned with Gaga, not only on this forum but anywhere so... no need to pile it on.

her Joanne album btw has came back from the dead and shot back up to No. 2 in Billboard (from No. 66 !) last week while her Stadium tour is being sold out left & right.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, we're going thru the Madonna album-by-album thread here on the forum, and one thing that's become abundantly clear to me over the course of it is that Madonna is vastly more musically talented than Gaga. Like, it's not even close. No, Madge doesn't have as good a voice - although when she's careful she can pull off a good performance with the right material - but she's a vastly better singer. She knows how to deliver a song, how to inhabit it, not just broadcast it Broadway style, because she has to. She doesn't have a great voice to fall back on.

As a songwriter and when it comes to putting albums together Madonna is in a different league. She had about a two decade run at the top, which is beyond almost any other act in the rock era - maybe Michael Jackson and Elvis could rival it, and The Beatles crammed two decades worth of hits into one - but nobody else was pumping out one chart topping earworm after another after another (across a range of styles, no less) during the '80s and '90s like Madonna. She was the only one of her '80s peers to transition to the hip-hop era with her commercial and artistic fortunes largely intact. Virtually all of her catalog holds up today, and most of her '80s and '90s hits are iconic representations of the era, up there with anything Prince or George Michael or Springsteen or whoever were putting out in the '80s and '90s. She wasn't quite as inspired as Prince, but she was a lot more consistent and far more willing to meet the listener halfway - and nobody was writing better dance music (or as much of it).

And yeah, she worked with a slew of co-writers and producers, but few if any of them had the kind of success with other acts they had with Madge. After awhile, that stops being a coincidence.

6. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

yeah...that's a great thread.
    i don't want to turn this into Madge vs Gaga type thing...only the naysayers here would enjoy that n they have plenty to be pissed about these days between your thread & re-valuated Gaga.
    i'm just saying they're different animals and the problem being Gaga keep trying to be Madonna despite that fact.
    nobody is taking anything away from Madonna, you don't get to where she is without being talented, it's just different type of talent...that's all.
    i don't agree with Madge being 'vastly more musically talented' nor her being 'vastly better singer' but that's just my opinion just as you have yours, i ain't got no issue with that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    sunspot42 likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I like Gaga - her first three records are great - and I used to think she was clearly the heir to Madge's throne. I think she's talented and a lot quirkier than Madge ever was (or at least, allowed herself to be in public), but I don't think she's quite in Madonna's league as a pop act.

In fact, I think the only act out there right now who might be a possible rival to Madonna's legacy is . . . brace yourselves . . . Taylor Swift. I prefer Gaga's material (and she's a much better singer), but Swift's the one who seems to know how to maximize her returns in today's pop market and is pumping out far more consistent records.

8. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I have none of her music but I sure get a kick out of Gaga. Her voice is as clear as a bell and always on pitch. Also, I'm no fan of Metallica, but based on her singing with the band on the Grammys, I would probably pay to see them with her singing lead.

9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

But a big part of Madge's schtick was/is cultural provocation. Swift is just manipulative and in a tabloid-y kinda way at that. No cone bra. No burning crosses and blasphemy. No dirty-picture book. I wouldn't rule out a cover of American Pie, though...

D.D.

Marble Index and sunspot42 like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think Swift is a little culturally provocative, but instead of targeting cultural institutions I think she's targeting certain attitudes - the "Shake It Off" video being a good example. Lorde and Lana Del Rey are lobbing similar little bombs in their work, more explicitly.

11. Diamond Dog

Can't visualize Madonna, Gaga, Lorde or Del Rey running a "girl squad" of syncophantic little starlettes that they could sic on detractors in a Tweetstorm of bitchy caterwauling.

D.D.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

A Twitterstorm of bitchy caterwauling?

Maybe she's preparing a run for the White House...

Diamond Dog likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

Swift West 2020. Go ahead.... say it can't happen. :yikes:

D.D.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Campaign slogan: "Imma Let You Finish!"

johnaltman likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

If they win, Kanye will demand that Swift step down in favour of Beyonce.

D.D.

16. zen

zen Senior Member

Wouldn't surprise me if she allowed the leak.
    I thought the public put a fork in her in 2013. But she wouldn't have it!!!! ;) First came the calculated Tony Bennett project...followed by the Academy Awards in 2015...
    then Billboard's "Woman of the Year" award...followed by the national anthem at Super Bowl 50....then the tribute to David Bowie at the Grammy's....and recently
    the Super Bowl halftime spectacle followed by this years Grammy's...holy hand grenade, someone/thing sure doesn't want us to forget lady gaga apparently.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

when my girls came of age around turn of the decade (2010ish), i've decided to sample some of the contemporary music so they won't grow up only knowing what i play around the house.
    like many, i stopped following the music scene around decade earlier due to life, etc. i was fully content with what i have (which is a LOT) and only time i checked out a new music was when the hype got big enough to reach me (Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, etc.).

out of all that i sampled, 3 artists stood up in my mind...they were all female (i don't think Bruno Mars was out yet) and i was pleasantly surprised by all 3.

one was Pink...i just knew of her as some kind of Britney clone (less prettier version) but she somehow matured into this pop/rock songstress, ala Pat Benatar...only with wittier lyrics.
    she has a great pipe, great little live performer, she really 'R'ocked the house when i took the girls to see her shortly thereafter...only downside being her artistic depth was bit shallow...
    great voice (best of the 3), great performer (in line with Gaga) but not a great 'Artist' per se nor she has a talent to be.

next up was Taylor Swift...her Speak Now album was just out and i was blown away by how good it was... especially considering her age at the time (21 ?).
    the girl is a natural writer, she's pretty much 'unparalleled' among the new guards when it comes to writing about her 'own' feeling (aside from Kayne West, funny enough).
    however, every time i saw her perform on TV...i liked her less & less and every time i saw her speak, even more so. to me...she's one of those phony, fake-righteousness, self-greed disguised as driven type that i despise and is total OPPOSITE of how i want my girls to turn out to be. i still buy her albums & enjoy them very much...i would agree that her catalog is the most consistent out of all contemporary popular artists but...Ughhh. still, both of my girls picked up guitars because of her and both are pretty good at it now so... guess it wasn't all for nothing.

last one was Gaga whom i was most skeptical about for obvious reasons...but soon as i heard Fame Monster and started checking out her live clips on Youtube, fuhgettaboutit ~!~
    both me & mrs. became an instant fan (more so than the kids even), the girl was just oozing with talent both natural & developed...i mean the Sky was the limit with her, we'd both thought.
    some of our more 'conservative' friends were troubled that we'd let our kids listen to some 'freak' shouting about 'Disco Stick' but i would rather have them listen to 'real' talent over some 'manufactured' crap any day. Gaga still hasn't reach that 'sky' unfortunately but as the case with most...the Truth/Talent does win out in the end so... we're still waiting.

18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

We demand you turn over your CD collection and ticket stubs immediately !!!

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not me - I was delighted the Pats won!

Gaga halftime and miracle Pats comeback victory = :pineapple:!

SuntoryTime and footlooseman like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Why do you assume that the Gaga we've gotten from 2008 to date isn't the "real Gaga"?

21. Oatsdad

As proof or as punishment? :D

gkella likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well, the video is no more. Anywhere else to hear it?

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No reason to brace ourselves. Swifty-T has had #1 albums and singles for over a decade... She's won Album Of The Year twice... Her most recent album was one of her biggest and most acclaimed... And she's the only artist besides Adele who can regularly break 1 million in pure album sales. (None of this "equivalent streaming units" crap.)

Gaga is a better singer than Taylor Swift, but that's like saying Alyson Moyet was a better singer than Madonna. Doesn't matter when it comes to pop longevity. Swift knows how to keep and cultivate a fanbase, and to change her sound enough to keep having huge hits with every album.
    By contrast, Gaga had a 2-year stretch off one massive album (The Fame) and another EP (The Fame Monster). Then a disappointing follow-up (Born This Way), a true flop (Artpop), and now a belated return after some wilderness years. The problem is, Joanne isn't really a true comeback: Until the Super Bowl publicity, the album had disappointing sales numbers and no Top 10 singles (even Artpop had one). Now the Super Bowl bump and tour MIGHT turn it into a hit.... or the album could sink again in a few weeks. Hard to say.

My best guess? If the NEXT Gaga album flops, she's gonna transition into something else (Broadway? Acting?) and out of pop. I don't see her being a sure thing anytime soon like Swift already is.

videoman, Scott in DC and sunspot42 like this.
  24. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I loved the halftime show and have great respect for her as a musician and artist.

I would love to see her put out an album (or EP) with nothing but her and a piano. I think that's where she's most powerful.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think that's a solid assessment.

The big question for me is, what became of her songwriting talent? Because she was on fire for two - arguably maybe three - records, and then it all seems to have fallen off a cliff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.