Ebay blues

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Thorensman, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have bad experience with Ebay?
    probably wrong site for this.
    I apopogise in advance if it is.
    I find that Ebay operates illegally in regard to returns.
    Anyone can send an item back faulty or damaged and EBay will refund them and take it out of your account.
    cases of smashed phones sent back to seller for full refund are common.
    how easy is it to buy or sell on this forum.
    I never sell faulty goods, whats the point?
    honesty is the best policy

2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I think eBay took that stance (returns) as so many buyers were getting burned by dishonest sellers. I have sold many items there and have been lucky but I am an honest seller so my item descriptions are accurate. It is easy to place items for sale here but the clientele can be quite specific in what they are looking for and what they want to pay for the most part. And, the sellers, at least the ones I've dealt with are honest with their appraisals.

3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Gave it up many years ago.

Would never consider selling anything of value (guitars, audio) due to the enormous amount of scammers.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I sold a pair of Cardas binding posts and the buyer made immediate payment. A couple hours later he asked for a refund because he found he could purchase the same item brand new pair of the same price. Understandable? I guess, but do your freakin research before buying. Oddly enough, I relisted them and they sold for substantially more the second time.

I will only use ebay as a last resort for audio items now. And to be honest, I'd probably take a ridiculously low price before going there. Also, selling on this site is doable, but don't expect quick sales.

5. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Yes, but not too many.

Did it happen to you?

Dave likes this.
  6. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I once sold a CD only to have the buyer claim he clicked BuyItNow by accident. Refund given, I relisted it. It sold at auction for significantly less to the same buyer. I refused to complete the transaction.

Vetiver, melstapler, Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Rightly so IMO. What an a-hole of a buyer. People like that make ebay a bad place and make it harder for honest buyers and sellers.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Here's another of mine. A few months ago the wife and I got new phones. After looking at the old iphone 4s for a couple weeks I decided to list them on ebay with starting bid of 99 cents. To be honest, I had no idea of their worth and would've been happy for the phones to go for $10.

I thought they were 8gb phones and listed them as such. The bid was up to around $50 when I got a question from a buyer concerning the imei codes. I asked him what imei codes were and after figuring it out I looked in the phone's settings and noticed one of the phones was a 16gb phone. With this information I cancelled the auction and started a new auction with the proper models listed. And of course the high bidder sent me a nasty email stating he was reporting me to ebay for ending the auction because I didn't want to sell to him. WTF? I replied with an explanation and a link to the new auction. He bids.

Ok, so next I get a query from the guy with the imei question again, I respond with the info he wants. The auction ends with the imei curious dude winning at a bid of $110. The next morning I get a notice that he cancelled the buy (perfectly ok with ebay) because I didn't provide the info he wanted. Jerk.

Not wanting to go through the whole mess again I send a "second chance offer" to the next highest bidder, and to sweeten the deal I throw in free shipping. Oh yeah, this is the guy who threatened reporting me for the first auction. He snaps the phones up and pays immediately.

Not done yet. The guy who backed out of the deal left me neutral feedback stating I didn't provide requested info. Dick. I went to leave him feedback and the only option was positive so I'm still thinking of the nastiest comment I can leave.

The buyer who ended up with the phones was happy and left nice feedback. This was one of those auctions where I just wanted to get rid of the phones without regard to price. I think phones are one of the most problematic items to sell on ebay.

melstapler likes this.
  9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If you have to be positive, you can indicate that you are "positive that he is the biggest _________ you have dealt with".

10. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I've been on ebay for 18 years, and have done over 800 transactions. I think it represents a microcosm of society. 99% of the trades I have done have gone smoothly, but here are always going to be a few dishonest folks out there. I don't like the fact that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers, but you can blacklist them from bidding again on your auctions.

I've seen other people auctioning counterfeit goods, specifically, Martin guitars, and I've notified ebay, but the auctions were not pulled, since ebay is more interested in earning their fees. In one recent case, I called the seller out on it, but he told me to mind my own business. He sold a Chinese fake Martin worth about $100 for over $1,000. Caveat emptor.

eddiel and timind like this.
  11. Thorensman

i,m glad its not just me.
    i won,t sell on ebay again.
    thr phono stage i sold for £206
    was returnec because the circuit
    board said 1987 and the writing on case was 1990
    which proves nothing.
    he did not even try it.
    after pulling it apart to check it out he stated it was not AdEq but something else.
    i told him to send it back. he kept sending photos of inside of case.
    then he takes out s case against me.
    Finally when i connect it to ensure all was still ok it hummed badly.
    i have sent it to Audio Synthesis.
    will cost me £100 .

12. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

There might be a chance buyer swapped his own defective circuitboard for yours. This way he got a good one, scammer.

13. Thorensman

i try not to think about it.
    Audio Synthesis will inform me , when they look it over.
    Bad business.

14. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Since October I've had a small string of bad luck.
    Books and cds not accurately described and an open bottle of Melatonin.

15. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

So the guy already sent payment before figuring out that he'd clicked BIN by mistake? Sounds more like a case of buyer's remorse to me. I accidentally selected "Buy Now with 1-Click" on Amazon once when using my phone, but on eBay you have to click through multiple screens to complete a BIN and send payment.

melstapler likes this.
  16. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Good catch, you jogged my memory. He never did send payment because I let him off and told him to forget it, then re-listed it. Heh. That was about twelve years ago. I do recall at that time (and I think it's always been the case) one could not accidentally BuyItNow with one click. I let it go anyway. Maybe I was hoping it would sell for more next time.

17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Phones can be risky to sell on eBay. The risk of a fraudulent transaction is higher than with other items, but so is the potential reward, as you can get a lot more money on eBay than third-party reseller services like Gazelle will give you for a used phone.

I would not give out a phone's IMEI number to anyone unless they had purchased the phone and payment had been received, because it can be used to activate another phone.

Given that eBay and Paypal's policies strongly favor buyers in a dispute, there's nothing to stop a dishonest buyer from receiving a phone in perfect working order, using it for several months, and then filing a claim that it was not as described. The seller will generally be forced to refund the money. The last time I sold a couple of phones on eBay, I didn't consider the transactions complete until the deadline for filing a Paypal claim had passed. That deadline used to be 45 days, but has since been increased to an utterly ridiculous 180 days. I'm not sure that I would sell any electronics on eBay now, as I'm not too inclined to effectively provide a six-month warranty on sold items.

timind likes this.
  18. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I sold some music equipment where the buyer said "item not as described" but kept all the extra cables. I had "strict no return policy" and great price. I fought long and hard and there is nothing a seller can do.

The latest scam is to use "item not as described" with anything from a scratch to a different color, for the purpose of getting the seller to give partial refund, 20% or so. I had a perfect rating for 14 years but finally had enough after falling prey to this scam over and over. The keeping of guitar cables was the final straw that caused me to stop selling.

19. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

You understand that this policy doesn't make sense in online trading? Because the item needs to be inspected by the buyer to see whether is as described or not.

I had some nice experience with an US seller who sold me a rare MFSL CD "with light scratches" for US$ 100. The scratches were deep and the CD didn't play through. He really argued with his "no return" policy but thanks to Paypal I got my mone back.

Over the years I both sold and bought thousands of CDs on eBay. And I had much more problems with sellers than with buyers. Maybe it is different with phones and other stuff.

20. Thorensman

you know most of us are honest.
    I bought a cd player. the drawer was sluggish opening.
    it needed a pull when pressing open at
    the same time.
    i opened it up znd changed the belts, cleaned awsy old dried up grease and relubed.
    even gave seller good feedback.
    By rights i should have sent it back.
    it was over 20 years old.
    i don,t expect perfection in old products.
    Its been a superb player since.
    A TD 115 would not run without major
    surgery.
    Fine since,
    There are s lot of scammers about.
    Shame, gives the honest people a bad name.

melstapler likes this.
  21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I would never ever do that. You don't want it, fine, send it back. Every time (not often) someone has tried that partial refund crap on me they folded and kept it.

Dave likes this.
  22. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Seller has Bob Dylan's 18 CD "Cutting Edge" on Mp4 for $50. The feedback for it is all positive.... 256 and he says it sounds great.

It is $600 new, except it is no longer available anywhere as all 5000 copies from bob dylan.com sold out.

I just want the music, especially "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" and Disc 18 of the rarities.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I just had one where a buyer said that they were having trouble with their card and asked if they could delay payment until December 30. I told them 'no' and reported them as a non-payer. I only use the 'Bay to clean out the house every so often, and it can be fun at times, but who wants to deal with this garbage?

melstapler and NYMets41 like this.
  24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ve had a lot of REALLY great experiences with ebay.Lately I`ve hit a few complete nuts out there.It`s as if these people feed off of screwing honest people.I don`t get it.It`s too unbelievable.:shrug:

25. Thorensman

This is too common and it puts you off.
    I still sell , but not so often.
    It's left me cautious.
    I did resell my phono stage,
    The new owner is pleased. And that as they say is that.
    I am reliably informed thst all EBayers
    Go through this.
    It's annoying that all , report how
    One sided the Ebay team are in this issue where the buyer is always right,
    When clearly they are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.