"The Good Fight" - - The Good Wife spin-off approved...on CBS All-Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

So it was just a one off on network?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

It remains to be seen how popular the show will be, but CBS really wants and needs this platform to succeed. They're even betting Star Trek on it (which was originally supposed to be the key attractant to the platform until production got pushed back, so they went with this show instead).

Also measuring an 'audience' is different than traditional ratings. You can amortize large numbers spread out over weeks, months even years on an on-demand streaming platform.
    Yes. The first two episodes are available on-demand so far.

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I saw the first two episodes, and think it is an excellent re-boot. Unfortunately, being on yet another streaming service will likely keep it buried from sight. I read a review that started with something like, "CBS's best new drama - and possibly best drama, period - will not be seen on CBS..." Couldn't agree more.

shokhead likes this.
  4. Deesky

Yes, but the show appears to have a harder edge and way more latitude in terms of content now that it has escaped the shackles of broadcast TV's restrictions. Perhaps this added freedom is part of the reason why it might be 'possibly best drama, period', along with the fact that the seasons are much shorter, which means that more effort and consideration can be put into each episode.

So IMO, it makes little sense bemoaning that the show won't be seen on a legacy network. We already had that with The Good Wife.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm not bemoaning that it's not on the main network at all. I'm bemoaning the fact that I have to pay to see it. :winkgrin:

6. Deesky

7. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Got roped into watching the premiere episode with the fam. Never saw a single minute of the original so I'm hardly the target audience, but my wife and daughter had basically the same meh reaction I did. Lawyer shows rank up there with cops and doctors as the most played-out TV genre. If you're gonna shell out to watch a series, there's much better stuff on Netflix.

8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

PVR'd the second episode and just watched it. No "freaking" or other swear word substitutes on this show.

A lot of times I half-watch TV - browsing the web, like this forums while a show is on. I actually watched this show start-to-almost* finish.

IMO the premiere episode was a little rough - like when a train switches tracks. This one seemed more settled. I do wonder about the elephant not in the room - the previous star.

It makes sense that a lot of the previous sets are being used but things like the new office having design elements of Lockhart Gardner seems a bit weird.

*My PVR recorded 1 hour 3 minutes. The show ran a little longer than that. I didn't get to see the end of the episode.

9. Deesky

Part of the reason is that the first ep was made to be aired on broadcast TV, with all the restrictions that come with that. Subsequent episodes are streaming only, so more latitude is available.

I'm not seeing any elephants in the room. The previous show, The Good Wife, had run its course. It was centered around the Alicia Florrick character and so the new show needed to have a very different focus in order to be fresh (and attract people to the streaming platform). So, I don't see anything elephantine in that.

Ep3 was also very good. Cush Jumbo does a mean side-eye, though I don't want her hooking up with that smarmy Paul Ryan lookalike lawyer! Also loving Marissa's expanded role. Loving the show so far.

10. colinu

I'm referring to the actress, not the character. Just a vibe I got.

11. Deesky

I don't see what difference it makes. You're overlaying the gossip you've read about the previous show onto the new one. The actress played a main character who's story had played out (even before the show's last season). It's time for a different focus and a new direction.

12. colinu

The ONLY thing I don't like about "The Good Fight" is the opening credits. The rest has been exceptional.

13. Deesky

Good episode (8). It didn't take them long to broach the subject of 'turmoil/changes in the law firm' trope, so often visited in The Good Wife. Looks like they left that dynamic open with the 50-50 vote split. Still, it's been great so far.

14. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I had forgotten about this as its on streaming and I don't subscribe to streaming services. However, I found the first two seasons in the library and I'm starting season 2 now. Good show, although I miss some of the characters, like Alicia, Cary and Kalinda. Also Eli. Do any of them ever show up?

15. Deesky

Nope, at least not so far (S3E08). I liked the old characters too (except Kalinda), but I don't really miss them so much now.

There is a thread on this from before, but it seems to have been closed for some reason. Might get more info about the show there:
    The Good Wife spin-off approved...on CBS All-Access [MOD: Threads now merged.]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

17. colinu

18. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

It was renewed for a fourth season back in April.

Right now, this is one of my favourite series on TV.

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Deesky

The real news here is that a show made exclusively for the CBS All Access streaming service is now being shown on network TV. They wouldn't be doing that if the service was going well.

How are they going to handle all the f-bombs and other 'mature' content from seasons past? Will it be censored and thus hobbled? Does it mean that going forward, the show will be reigned in, less edgy, as it will also be shown on TV? I like The Good Fight as it is - this is not a good development for the show (or CBS-AA).

20. colinu

To be honest I find the political storylines tiring. I want a little escape from reality.

Lightworker likes this.
  21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

They addressed somewhere but basically they cleaned it up for free TV broadcast.

22. colinu

Maybe they followed "The Good Place" example - "What the Fork?". ;-)

Jim Pattison likes this.
  23. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Season 3 of this was really on point and particularly cleverly written.

24. colinu

This costs CBS nothing. The show is owned by CBS and the production costs have already been paid. It acts as advertising for their subscription service. It fills a time-slot in the Summer when viewership is lower.

25. Deesky

Why does it need advertising? Star Trek was supposed to be its biggest draw initially, and now the service has been around for several years. Sure, it 'costs' them nothing to broadcast their 'exclusive' streaming content, but they wouldn't be doing so if they had sufficient paying subscribers to their service (which by accounts is only four million, at best).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.