Larry Coryell rip

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davmar77, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Definitely the Aragon. James Gang and Siegel-Schwall. I've never seen Mountain.

2. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

So long, Larry. RIP.

3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

One of the few instances (only instance?) where I liked an opening act better than the headliner is when I saw Coryell open for George Benson in the late 1970s. Just Coryell dealing on an acoustic guitar. No back-up. I'd never heard anything like it. Several years back I looked in vain for a solo acoustic CD by him. Nothing. I ended up downloading a late 1970s solo concert at this site - SugarMegs Audio I was a bit surprised there was nothing officially available showing his remarkable solo acoustic skills.

Brian Lux and beccabear67 like this.
  4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That's a beautiful album.

SquaRoots likes this.
  5. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Odd. Someone on another forum had posted the entire Oslo Eleventh House concert and I watched it all Saturday morning,. I've seen Larry loads of times. I saw him a lot at the old Paul's Mall and Jazz Workshop, as I worked next door to it for a few years. Mike Mandel used to come in to the record store I worked in and we'd talk music for hours and I'd pull the LPs he was looking for. I went as much to see Mike play as to see Larry. Spaces was a major element in shifting my understanding of what playing guitar (and music) was all about.
    I saw Larry with Philip Catherine a few times, too and really liked that lineup. Great material and two very distinctive approaches to it. And I saw him again in the 80s at Nightstage in Cambridge. I haven't really thought about him in a long time, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a thread about him, fusion and phasers on guitars along with that great clip. And now, this thread, which has had quite the opposite effect. I always enjoyed his angular playing, and the fact that he would often avoid the obvious in his playing.

RIP Larry, and condolences to his friends and family.

Brian Lux, sberger and beccabear67 like this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Larry Coryell has always been one of my favorite guitarists. RIP and thanks for the music. Sad that I was never able to see him live. Always wanted to.

Brian Lux likes this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Barefoot Boy is one of my favourite jazz fusion albums.... also dug his work with Eleventh House. RIP :(

zebop likes this.
  8. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

So sorry to hear about his passing. Such a excellent, versatile player. RIP

9. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

R.I.P. Larry

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

A truly great artist. RIP

11. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Sad news. One of my favorite guitar players. Listen to him at least once a week. Something from Offering or The Real Great Escape comes on almost every time I sit down and listen to music.

Brian Lux and rgutter like this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Oh no - RIP. One of the greats.

13. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

I saw him at the Park West in Chicago in 1978, opening up for John McLaughlin & the One Truth Band. He was playing solo acoustic 6, and 12 string Ovation guitars.. A quirky and marvelously creative musician... There was a lot of joy in his playing!

14. There used to be at least one LP from this solo phase of his, on the (American) Novus label, called "European Impressions". A mix of live and studio recordings. But I don't see no CD entry of this title on ebay at the moment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  15. Great player and in this day and age that's too young to go IMHO.

blutiga likes this.
  16. Right. I know this is none of our business, but he must have had some serious condition, to die in his sleep like that...

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Oh no, he wasn't that old. I met him many years ago after he had left Gary Burton. A nice guy. His wife was also very nice.

Man oh man RIP

18. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I and my buddy Kris Foster booked concerts for the Univ. of Utah in 1973-4 and The Eleventh House was the last show we did. The band was unbelievably great and LC was phenomenal. I was a smarty pants guitar player thinking I was getting it dialed in. We did the sound check and I couldn't believe how Coryell could take playing up several notches and beyond. Plus a super nice guy who missed his family when we spoke with him. I went home and seriously considered quitting because it all seemed so futile after that. I later saw him several times in acoustic settings in amazing performances. He was and incredible talent.

Brian Lux and beccabear67 like this.
  19. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

that's a bummer. I really love Lady Coryell and just heard Coryell for the first time the other day (the opening track on that, Sex, is amazing). I know he's done countless releases since, but for someone like me, not really a huge jazz guy, there's an instant connection with what I hear as his rock influences- there's some pretty mad stuff on Lady Coryell that recalls the Velvet Underground and absolutely Hendrix.

20. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

RIP Larry! He was awesome in the Eleventh House.

21. misterjones

The show in question was June 23, 1976 at Clark University (Worchester, MA). If you go to the Sugarmegs search page - SugarMegs Streaming Server, Lose Yourself In The Music - and type in "Larry Coryell Clark University" it should come up. Highly recommeded.

22. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

You might like this interview >>.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  23. misterjones

Just discovered the Clark University concert is on this nice-looking box set - Larry Coryell - Aurora Coryellis - Amazon.com Music

I might have to get that. Also enjoying his "Bolero" CD as I type this.

24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Always one of my favorite players. I was lucky enough to see him play live at Santa Monica College back in the early 1970's. He was like one of the first really accomplished musicians of my generation. I really respected him for that. He kept to the traditional jazz style while pushing the envelope of the fusion movement.

Brian Lux likes this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have only just heard this sad news. RIP Larry may your music carry you on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.