Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm not quite sure but the original release blurb surrounding the set did say individual album releases to follow.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, later in 2017. Definitely will have to pick up a few of those albums, when they are out.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. hodgo

I'll pick up the pre "Aftermath" albums on mono vinyl, for everything including "Aftermath" onward I'm happy with the stereo versions.

Hep Alien and Bernard hansen like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

I don't know, that mono Beggars' Banquet and Let It Bleed sound interesting.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. hodgo

Except for one song on "Beggars Banquet" they are only fold downs, I can get the same affect by pressing the mono button on my amp so they are pointless really.

6. Chris Schoen

I'm ordering the cd box set. The vinyl will be later, thanks for the tip!

7. I love this box. It is one of my favourite purchases of the past year. Sounds fantastic. That said, I am disappointed that more care was not taken to reproduce the album artwork. For a band of such standing they deserved the same treatment as was afforded to the Beatles in Mono boxset.

DockBoggs, hodgo and chacha like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah a lot of the artwork is surprisingly poor. It's not something that's particularly important to me but I certainly understand people being disappointed. It's hard to believe that the original artwork is in such bad shape. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they did the best they could.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The Japanese managed to get the album covers reproduced correctly with their SHM CD box set with the seven inch covers.

Turmatic likes this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I borrowed the vinyl boxed set from the local liberary this week, just to check it out (I have the cd's) and I am in disbelief how poor the artwork is. The reproductions are clearly scans of the originals, and very poorly done. "No. 2" is the worst, as the picture is stretched! What went wrong? They could at least have tried to recreate the covers by using some high-tech photoshop or something. For a set that is otherwise so great, the covers are very dissapointing.
    That said, the vinyl pressings was top-notch and deserve praise.

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

You can get the same effect with your mono button summing the stereo mix to mono, but does that mean you'll get the same sound as what's on the original mono, even if it's a fold down?

Here are two roughly 45-second samples from No Expectations I just uploaded (24-bit FLAC) for comparison. I chose the section with the piano.
    The first sample is from an original UK Decca stereo press summed to mono, the second from an original UK Decca mono press.

No Expectations original UK stereo summed to mono:
    Vocaroo | Voice message

No Expectations original UK mono:
    Vocaroo | Voice message

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, your clips are only 22.05kHz for some reason, so there's nothing above 11kHz.

And they pretty much sound the same, for what it's worth.

13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Somethings messed up then...I'll try again when I can get things straightened out. On my end, there's a slight tonality difference, and the stereo summed to mono sounds like it's done on the user's end while the mono has a bit more solidity.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow your local library has the vinyl box set? That's really impressive.

Rochdale3, MHP, ex_mixer and 6 others like this.
  15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

For the individual sets I wonder if they have thought of releasing double disc sets with mono and stereo versions for Aftermath onwards considering the stereo versions are already out there anyway.

I realise that would be a little more complicated for pre Aftermath albums.

16. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Has anyboby heard when these mono LP's/CD's are being released individually?

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Unlikely ever. Much of the exclusive content in the 2010 stereo box such as UK versions of Big hits and Through The Past never got an individual release. These were different mastering to the 2003 individual discs which mixed UK and US versions. There just isn't the demand for Mono out there apart from The Beatles. Except maybe the remaining AAA Kinks Mono versions will get a release, because they started.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

On what information? As someone mentioned the early mono only mixes may come out with rest in Stereo (but both US and UK versions I doubt). More likely a rerun of the 2003 releases hopefully with UK Big Hits and Through the Past (so I can sell my stereo box for a nice profit).

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The original announcement of the set said that these albums would be released individually in 2017 with the exception of Stray Cats.

20. Chris Schoen

I do recall reading that the mono vinyl would be released individually, don't know if it was credible though.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thinking about it, I suppose it makes sense from a record company point of view to tie this in with some other Stones activity.

For example, if the Stones do some gigs in the UK this year, then these albums could be released to coincide with that, particularly if emphasis is placed on the UK versions which have previously been neglected.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I remember reading the same thing.

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Nope. Initial press release for the mono box said individual albums from the boxed set will be released this year. Except for Stray Cats. I could imagine that the Big Hits compilations could be released as well, though.

Adam9 likes this.
  24. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Went ch a ap and bought the US cd release and got cd inner sleeves. It's decent for the money end the sounds is good loved it, never heard these albums in mono before. Will definitely get a few title when the come out on vinyl separately like both Aftermaths to Satanic

hodgo likes this.
  25. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

I got a stray cats with Beggars banquet in it. Has anyone had success with getting a replacement.
    Should I go through seller (MUSICVAULTZ )or contact abko ?
    Any assistance appreciated