ABBA are getting back together for a new project!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Any update on this???

marmalade likes this.
  2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

John Adam likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

They've already said they have enough, although they so far have forgotten to include me in their largesse. ;)
    One of the ladies hates flying and touring, so no tour methinks. I suspect they are in some dark corner of their minds being afraid of not living up to people's expectations. I think that fear is correct-an ABBA tour would be regarded like the Second Coming and could never live up to that.

Grand_Ennui, noahjld and Jarleboy like this.
  6. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Well said gentleman!
    They aren't going to do anything to tarnish their legacy. Benny and Bjorn are way to smart to take a risk as ABBA of 2017. It's nostalgia now.
    All I ask is they release "Just Like That" [the full song] and I'll die a happy guy! :)

7. Jarleboy

They mention that what they have been planning has to with technology, and Frida mentioned that it would be nice for the fans to see them. So I´m guessing a kind of video/holographic - well, 3D, perhaps - digital version of them performing some songs. I´m not expecting any new music, though a dusted-off outtake could be possible. ("JUST LIKE THAT", perhaps? I won´t hold my breath.) A tour won´t happen, I think. I kind of respect them for that.

I´ll be patiently waiting for whatever ABBA product we get. I know I´ll buy it. :agree:

John Adam likes this.
  8. Jarleboy

Amen. :angel:

Pizza and John Adam like this.
  9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I am a BIG Abba fan & look forward to seeing or hearing anything new that may come our way from them. I also understand & respect their thoughts about them never matching up to what they once were. I would rather wait & see what happens instead of speculating about what could happen because speculating could lead to disappointment. Waiting to see can result in unexpected surprises. I am now playing "Honey Honey" & when that's done I will continue on with what I am doing.

Jarleboy, coffeetime and John Adam like this.
  10. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I respect your opinion as a fellow ABBA fan and as a fellow human being, but we've been waiting since 1983 for something to happen. That is almost my entire lifetime!!! So I listen to the old, but I venture on into what's happening now. :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

They will never reform, Bjorn has always been quite clear and unambiguous about that over the years, and now they are simply too old.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think they could set up residence at the O2, similar to what Prince did and what MJ had planned. Amsterdam would work as well. People would come to them, they don't need to travel. Agnetha could get there by train, and settle in for a pleasant 1-2 month residence.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think there's more chance of Michael Jackson taking to the stage again than there is of ABBA reforming..

I always liked it that they stopped when they thought they were done and never came back. It's something many bands should have tried.:)

14. OnononO

OnononO Member

I don't want them to reform. If they were to record new music it wouldn't sound the same as their older stuff and would tarnish their legacy regardless of it being guaranteed to hit number one everywhere. After all these years it would seem a little insincere too.
    They are obviously much more keen on finding new ways to present their early music, and this virtual reality project is just the latest one.
    If they could just release decent CD versions of their existing catalogue then I'd be happy.

Wombat Reynolds, anduandi and Carlox like this.
  15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The fact that they all maintain the "We were young & energetic back then & we are older & different now" feelings makes me believe nothing new will come out of the recording studio unless it meets their very strict requirements.

16. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Solitaire1 and anduandi like this.
  17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Okay, funny. You had me looking for this "b-side". Luckily the catalog number was readable and helped me ending this dream.

18. Jarleboy

Agree. I have a great deal of respect for their decision. They made music as long as they had fun, and stopped when it was no longer fun. Simple and effective. To quote Cicely Tyson in "FRIED GREEN TOMATOES": "A lady always knows when to leave". They did.

tin ears and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think the odds are small, but if you had told me five years ago that in 2016, Frida and Agnetha would be on stage singing The Way Old Friends Do, I would not have believed that either. They don't need to have a new album; just stand together at center stage as the curtain rises after a brief filmed intro and do "SOS" or "Take a Chance on Me". People would be crying and it would be amazing.

I'm not a big believer in the notion that pop music stars should never come back. I saw the Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and (most recently) Guns n' Roses reunions. All of those acts had been away a long time, but came back with a ****ing roar.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    longaway and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I never understood why Frida and Agnatha never joined forces and did an album together or simply did a few shows together. They're the face and vocals of ABBA and could have gotten some payback. The boys wrote the music and, I assume, kept the bigger paycheck but the girls were just as important to their success.

noahjld and Jarleboy like this.
  21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

....But seriously, give us a CD single with all three versions of "Just Like That" in sparkling quality and we'll all shut up about the reunion thing forever. :-D

22. Jarleboy

I share your opinion that bands who want to get together and have a reunion should do so. That´s a good thing. What I like about ABBA is that they are honest about not wanting to have a reunion. They shouldn´t feel pressured into doing a reunion - or not doing one. If they should one day want to, no one would be happier than me. :righton:

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Listening to Elvis Costello's cover of "Knowing Me,Knowing You" as I type.

marmalade and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

I understand what you mean, but judging from Agnetha´s interview in connection with the release of "A", they are very different people. Perhaps they have seen enough of each other for one lifetime. :shh:

25. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I've always thought it would be cool for ABBA to get together to do a one-off show, performing some of their hits and deep tracks acoustically in an intimate setting...perhaps with new arrangements. ABBA Unplugged, if you will. I don't think it would tarnish their legacy at all, even if it were done today in 2017.

marmalade and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.