Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Prompted me to find a video of what looks like an early 90's version of "1880 or So" from the 1991 self-titled album.

Incredible

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

ALS has a lot to grasp on to, unlike some of his more experimental "out" later period stuff

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Picked up this SACD today. Fantastic!

[​IMG]

4. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Nazz- 13th And Pine/ Elliott Randall- Randall's Island/ Liverpool Scene- Bread On The Night/ Roll out the red carpet for- Buck Owens and his Buckaroos/ GOAT- Requiem

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

First time listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra. This is mind blowingly great stuff. I'll be stuck here for a while...

6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Miles Davis' Jazz Track to start the day (RSD mono - for what it's worth, like 3 cents at best, the lowest number (22) of any limited edition numbered thingamajig that I own). In-laws (are in-laws really outlaws? Only Doug Sahm knows….) in town requesting various stuff, so we did some iTunes "genius" playlists: 25 songs of Motown/Stax/funk keyed off of Temptations' Ain't Too Proud to Beg, 25 of classic rock keyed off of Sweet Home Alabama, and 25 of blues keyed off of Otis Rush's Double Trouble. Bar-Kays' Soul Finger, Freddie King (my favorite of the 3 Kings although I like them all), Junior Wells, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, etc., were some highlights. Back to albums and listened to Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery for the first time in probably 30 years, enjoyed it a LOT more than expected. Then the best Rolling Stones album by a band other than the Stones (The Flamin' Groovies' Teenage Head) and back to a staple, NRBQ's At Yankee Stadium (the Groovies covered NRBQ's I Want You Bad when I saw them last year).

9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

that my friend is some powerful stuff!

10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jethro Tull: Stand Up

Steven Wilson remix

Before: Disc 4 of Tensegrity - from Barry Guy's Blue Shroud Band (small formations)

Now: Disc 3 of Tensegrity - right now a quartet with Peter Evans on trumpet with Agusti Fernandez on piano with the two drummers. Very intense 17+ minute piece. I rarely suggest you tube but dig up some Peter Evans....

Rne, Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  11. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

This is one of the better Zappa Vault releases. What an amazing band.

Rne likes this.
  12. EVG.1970

EVG.1970 Forum Resident

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

17. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Finishing up Badfinger's No Dice this morning. What a great album.

18. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Birds of Fire is probably in my top-10 of all albums across all genres.

19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Thanks! Linking here so I can find it later.

Bingo and Erik B. like this.
  20. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

The Inner Mounting Flame is fantastic as well.

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and footlooseman like this.
  21. footlooseman

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I don't know if they even still make these, but I ended up with quite a few of them from different composers, trying to build up some appreciation for classical music.
    [​IMG]
    In case the image goes bad, it's a 2CD set of Debussy from Excelsior Classic Gold.

I dug a few out of storage to check out, and this one is my favorite. - La fille aux cheveux de lin is one of my favorite piano compositions period.

Also, didn't realize that 'Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune' was based on a poem by Mallarmé, in spite of having college courses on both. :shrug:

Rne, Bingo, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love Debussy. Some of the original psychedelic music, IMO.

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yesterday evening listened to Rage Against the Machine's self-titled. Seemed appropriate these days, but as much as I respect Morello's truly unique guitar playing I find that band best in small doses. Now listening to the Pointer Sisters, Steppin', some good funky R&B from 1975 on this one, especially the track featuring Herbie Hancock on clavinet ("Chainey Do"). Stevie Wonder guests on one track as well. These were both required "Album Club" listening for me -- I already owned the Rage although don't throw it on often, but the Pointer Sisters album has been a very pleasant surprise.

rockinlazys, budwhite, Bingo and 3 others like this.
  25. footlooseman

a buddy got me a ticket to see the battle of la at the oakland coliseum. one of the most over the top shows i have sttended and one of the few shows were i fell down and felt i could have been trampled

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.