Taboo - New show on BBC with Tom Hardy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

And somehow Tom Hardy delivers a one-note-performance, which slowly gets on my nerves - no doubt, no self-reflexion, no humour, no mishaps, no-nothing but brooding determination that is not really explained.

I am not sure I really enjoy this show anymore (Yeah, yeah I know, I don't have to watch it .. yadda yadda), and it feels like a giant puff-piece with nothing in the center..................please, PLEASE bring on the second season of "The Last Kingdom"

medium Rob and Coricama like this.
  2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Watched 6 of these so far.
    It's all going.....where?

I do like TH but has anyone noticed he seems to do a Welsh accent a lot of the time ...... a la LOCKE.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As I said a little while back, I find him a very wooden actor, with one expression all the way through his films. However because James Delaney is a man back from hell, a man with a cause, no matter what, he fits the role well for Taboo. Someone of the calibre of Oliver Reed might have been better however.

4. Scott222C

Agree.

Purple Jim likes this.
  5. alanb

alanb Senior Member

I think he see's himself as a bit of an Oliver reed. Pretty sure he Played Bill Sikes.

Bulldog!

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well he sure ain't!

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So do you not see any supernatural aspect at all to the show?

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think the voodoo priestess he keeps flashing back on is his mother. While he definitely seems to believe/worship African deities, there's nothing supernatural going on....yet. Oddly enough, while I'd agree that the pace has been too slow, his relationship with his actress/mother- in- law seems rushed. As in, she seems to have become one of his minions very quickly. Maybe part of the reason the show drags is the 90 minute episodes, perhaps some editing would've helped. I re- watched the 1st episode last night and enjoyed it so much more the 2nd time around! I realized that the dialect that was SO difficult to understand in the beginning is so much easier to understand now! While not perfect, I'm very much enjoying this show!

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I think its pretty clear that's his mother Salish. But isn't she Native American? My understanding is that he spent time in Africa while in the military, but his father went to America (where Nootka Island is) and that is where he met and impregnated Salish.

I'm not sure of the time frame, but do you think Delany will turn out to have been part of the crew involved in the sinking of the slave ship, or is that a completely separate story line that just involves the EIC?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The opening shows his memories of the slave ship sinking with everyone in the water. I thought he was in communication over distance with his half-sister and, er, doing things to her at night. Too bad his powers didn't find the treaty quicker and know about the attack on his ship. Maybe ol' Legba at the crossroads doesn't always intercede in his favor. :D

Nootka Sound is on Vancouver Island and discovered by Captains James Cook and George Vancouver, presumably with James' father on board one of the expeditions. I live in Coast Salish territory. I assume as a slave of the Nootka tribe she may have lost her name and was just called Salish from the people she had come from. There has been a movement to call the entirety of Juan De Fuca and Georgia Strait down to Puget Sound the Salish Sea.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Kyhl likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I find it strangely hypnotic to watch. I also find myself having thoughts like, "If this were an animated feature, I would call the producers lazy for only giving the lead character one walk cycle." :laugh:

I joke, but I still watch and enjoy.

12. Scott222C

Delaney has those flashbacks/hallucinations and the sinking of the slave ship is a part of those, no ?

13. Scott222C

*SPOILER*

And Delaney and especially his sister, but really everybody else in this series, are (charcterized as) such miserable and despicable human beings that I find it hard to watch - everybody is an azzhole - at best. Ironically the most "innocent" (main)character IMO was the husband of Delaney's sister that she murdered in a horrible way. Yeah, he hit her and there was that "excorcism", but what his character was forced to do was mostly a reaction of the impossible circumstances that were forced upon him.

So btw the "Taboo" in the title is referring to the incestuous relationship between Delaney and his sister ?

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I fear the worst for Winter.......

15. alanb

alanb Senior Member

The slaves sinking and drowning is part of the story to do with the EIT Co.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Blimey that torture scene was horrific.

17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I think it goes deeper than that. Everything about Delaney's life is taboo.

18. Scott222C

It was "lame" compared to the torture Scene in "Outlander" ................. Waterboarding ? I am pretty sure they wouldn't have the time for stuff like that in the olden days, start with cutting off limbs and work your way from there .....

Rufus McDufus and Deesky like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That ('those' actually, there were several, like the lashings) particular jail based episode was probably the most confronting thing I've ever seen on a TV show. Not just for the physical torture but also for the physiological torture aspect. It was truly horrible and absolutely stunningly well done and effective.

Scott222C likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I've never seen Outlander so can't compare but it wasn't really what they did but the general atmosphere of it that got to me.

21. Scott222C

Well, you should try to watch "Outlander", not for that scene, but because it is a really well done series. Much better and way more rewarding than "Taboo" IMO

Deesky likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Will do!

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

'I have a use for you...'
    That was a great way to end ep. 7.

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm still finding it... entertaining. How wildly sad that the 'chief whore' turned in Delaney to the actual killers of her child. How like real life actually.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So... i'm watching this latest episode:
    When Helga yelled, "MURDERER!", I thought... now, she looks familiar....
    she looks... a little like Lola from "Run, Lola, Run"!
    After a little 'imdb-ing', I discovered, SHE WAS!!!
    WOW!

beccabear67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.