The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

First performance of "Touch of Grey": September 15, 1982 at the Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland. "Touch of Grey" was the encore.

The Annotated "Touch of Grey"

The Ables and the Bakers and the Cs

Able and Baker are the first two words in the military communication alphabet, used to make spelling more intelligible over radio communications devices. So they are literally "ABC's". Here's a table comparing the old and new standard phonetic alphabets. The new one is used by the International Civil Aviation Organization, a U.N. agency. (Note that "Delta," from the song's next bridge, is the only other easily identifiable alphabet letter.) NASA has posted a listing of the old (Pre-1954) and new alphabets.

I love that Hunter credited Jerry with one of the better lines in the song:
    "light a candle, curse the glare"

2. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Even more stoked. '73 is quickly becoming a favorite year for me@

JRM, Matt Ellers, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Here are the verses in question (from the Annotated GD Lyrics website):

"It's a lesson to me
    The Ables and the Bakers and the C's
    The ABC's we all must face
    And try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me
    The deltas and the east and the freeze {or "frees"?}
    The ABC's we all think of
    Try to give a little love."

Note the line with "deltas" also has the "e" and "f" as part of the lyrics. Quite a tasty bit of writing there by Mr. Hunter.

4. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I know the correct lyrics now, but I still hear it the old, wrong way! And I hear "freeze" as "freaks," so my ear isn't to be trusted. ;)

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think you are going to love it; for me it is also the one I would least want to give away. One suggestion though, just in case the build-up gets too much, I find it is one you may have to let your ear get used to a bit first. By that I mean it sounds awesome, those fall ’73 tapes are great, but especially if you have been hearing a lot of other years which have a bigger sounding presence, don’t get thrown if you feel this one is a bit quiet or distant sounding; plus the phase canceling mics of course. In my opinion like many ’73 tapes, I would say you need to go to it, not it to you; but once your ear gets settled in you will find some real nice sonic gems on it.

adamos, Zafu, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  6. Spinning wheel

Spinning wheel Forum Resident

I see the May '77 box is "sold out", sort of.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Our limited-edition MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT boxed set is now officially sold out.

We can't thank you enough for your patience and your support.

(The "sort of" part)

Due to overwhelming demand, we have decided to create a MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT - ALL MUSIC EDITION. We want to make sure that everyone who wants the remastered audio from these shows on CD is able to get it. To be clear, the ALL MUSIC EDITION only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase. It will not be numbered.

8. US Blues

When he says "you need to go to it," that means turn the volume up. :righton:

unravelled, Crispy Rob and bmoregnr like this.
  9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Can you guys clear me up about Dark Star Orchestra?

What do they mean by they recreate shows - do they mean just the setlist or do they also go and learn all the jams and solos and stuff that happenned that night as well?

US Blues likes this.
  10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

They recreate shows from the dead but play in their own way which is, of course, heavily dead influenced. They don't play the original versions note for note.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. US Blues

They will play in the "style" of a given year. First time I saw them they played 5 Aug 1979, and it sounded like the Dead in '79, Kadlecik would flub the vocals just like Jerry did at that time. They don't play the shows note-by-note, it's more subtle.

That said, one time I saw them do an open setlist, in which they played as themselves and to the best of their ability, and it was infinitely more engaging than when they play an old GD setlist. Personally, I'd see them more often if they changed their MO and just played the music.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification guys. :)

13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

They tour all the time so it would be pretty easy if you decide to check them out.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Here are a couple of nice reviews;
    Grateful Dead: Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings

Winterland 1973 ...

unravelled, ianuaditis and wlove2372 like this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Is it tournament time yet?

16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm up for anything that doesn't involve discussing the new box.

Phoenician likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This thread is about 100x better than the box thread, but then there's no place like home. :D

I listened to no GD today, but I'm about half way through DaP 18 and bonus disc.
    You should definitely go to DSO. I've never been to a bad one and I've seen them probably five times. It's not the GD but then it sort of is. Plus it keeps the music alive, as it should be. Bobby played with them when Kadlecik was in the band. Donna has played with them. Dennis McNally evidently approves. So, it's kosher warewolf.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    JRM, rufus t firefly and ianuaditis like this.
  18. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Halfway through Winterland '73 Box (thanks again to the Good Old Grateful Thread) and just hit the Rhythm Devils section of the Dead Ahead DVD (from the "All The Years Combine" box set. 'Reckoning' ;) I'll be spinning some vinyl soon. As for right now here comes "Fire On The Mountain" from Dead Ahead. :cool:

I love to read about the subject as I am a lone (dire) wolf Deadhead and I always refer to
    Grateful Dead

19. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Please excuse this beginner question but has 4/30/77 (Palladium) ever been released other than the download series? I need to hear this show at home but I would need a CD of vinyl to do so. Thanks.

20. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

All this talk and I had to put it on! 11/10. I love being able to hear Bobby and Keith so clearly, and Bobby is great! By the time they get to Mexicali Blues the band is lubed up and ready. Such a great representation of this year.

21. ianuaditis

It doesn't look like it. They tend to not duplicate the releases, so if it was on the DL series its probably unlikely to be another release format as well.

22. US Blues

The Download Series is available for purchase as a download at nugs.net, as are many other officially released treats.

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

What I meant was it hasn't/isn't likely to come out on CD or Vinyl as @smctigue was looking for.

24. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Thanks guys.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  25. US Blues

Yes, I see. This is why CD burners are the hot new thing. ;)

Billy_Sunday likes this.