How do you think the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper will be handled by Apple?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OobuJoobu, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear Family is great for the music. I agree. But imho their design aesthetic and art direction sucks.

2. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I haven't much positive to say about the art direction on the "Ron Howard" cd so I'd be happy to give Bear Family a go. Not like Apple's delivering on either front, art direction or music. 1 out of 2 will do me if the good bit's the music.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

It's sad how the poll reflects what fans already know...that the folks that run things have no clue what the fans want.

They should take a lesson from Dylan, Grateful Dead, King Crimson, etc. on how to do things.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  4. I dint believe the Beatles have even a fraction of decent extra stuff in their vaults like those other bands you mention. Yeah I know of boots but the listenability is much different

vitorbastos123, crispi and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tune In - Vol 2.
    Three years away.
    Best to wait for that one methinks.

7. Arnold Grove

BUT Tune Vol. 2 might not include info on 1967. It may just cover 1963 to 1966. So then you'll be waiting until about 2027-28 for Vol. 3. (In which case. how the heck will Lewisohn fit 1967-1970 all in one book: Pepper/Death of Brian/Magical Mystery Tour/India/Start of Apple/Magic Alex/Yoko/White Album/Linda/Get Back-Let It Be/Heroin/Problems at Apple/Allen Klein/Loss of Songwriting Publishing/Abbey Road/Break-up ---is it even possible to fit all of that in ONE book with Lewisohn's depth of research???)

8. alexpop

Tune In 2 ~Logical ending would be after Pepper and Epstein's overdose.
    Summer 1966 end of touring and Revolver is the other option.
    Either way, 2028 and Vol 3 ( with Pepper included ) MMT,WA,Abbey Road & Let It Be all albums coverage I think the time allotment is ( 8 years) much needed to get all the data complete.

9. Arnold Grove

I presume you mean: "2028" or thereabouts...

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

better than 2038, eh. :)

11. Arnold Grove

Let's hope...

alexpop likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well the Brian Southall book should certainly be worth a look...

13. Arnold Grove

Yes.

14. alexpop

How the heck"?
    Maybe he just cuts to the chase with that period and blurts it all out in a slim 800 pages volume (3).

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Except we really don't know this to be fact. In 1985 we were lead to believe that the stuff on Sessions was the only worthwhile stuff in the vaults. Anthology proved this wrong. Since Anthology, few things from the vaults have leaked out. What has leaked (Revolution #1 unedited version, What You're Doing outtake, Isn't It A Pity January 1969 demo (iTunes release only), She's Leaving Home (with unused string part) are all very interesting and would enhance any future archival release. Even with bootleg recordings, we've only heard a fraction of what's in the vaults. Who wouldn't want to hear Granny Smith (early acoustic version of Love You To) or the Regent Studio version of Fixing A Hole ? How about the February/April recording of I Want You? Lots of stuff we've never heard. We've done this exercise before. Needless to say, there's LOTS of material never heard by the public. Not many unreleased songs per se, but fascinating outtakes, rehearsals and alternate performances no doubt. Ron

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Ron, you've said the magic words! Here's a link to my "Lewisohn Wish List" -- every take, alternate, rough mix or version described in Recording Sessions that strikes me as worthy of review by Apple, if not release. It's over 9 years old now, and only a couple of them have surfaced! Annotated with page numbers:

Let's compile a definitive list of unreleased Beatles studio recordings

To keep things on topic, here are the entries that might be of interest to anyone compiling a Very Special Pepper / 1967 release (hint, hint):

11-24-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 1 -- complete unfaded take (2:34) with ALL overdubs (87)
    11-28-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 4 -- with overdubs and at ORIGINAL speed; deemed "best" and mixed for mono (88)
    11-29-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 7 -- complete unfaded take with all overdubs; mono mix 3 deemed "best" (88)
    12-06-66 -- "When I'm 64" -- Take 1 -- complete; Lewisohn doesn't say if there was a live vocal. Take 2 would be the master. (89)
    12-15-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 26 -- complete "fast" version at original speed; mixed to mono (90)
    12-20-66 -- "When I'm 64" -- Take 4 (reduction mix of Take 2) -- with backing vocals and Ringo's bells added, but before the clarinets on 12/21. (90)
    01-05-67 -- "Carnival of Light" (aka "Untitled) -- Take 1 -- Either the full 13:48 (with overdubs) in it's original mono mix, or (preferably) a coherent edit mixed to stereo. Personally, I think there might be something interesting here, based only on Lewisohn's description -- but then, I love "Revolution 9" so... (92)
    01-17-67 -- "Penny Lane" -- mono remix 11 -- The Canadian promo version with the trumpet ending (92)
    02-02-67 -- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" -- Take 10 -- a "demo remix, for acetate purposes" before horns, George's guitar solo and the sound effects were added on 3/3 and 3/6. (95)
    02-09-67 -- "Fixing A Hole" -- Takes 1 & 2 -- "both very good" and both considered "master" takes. Both recorded with vocals -- "unusual" in 1967. Take 2 was subjected to further overdubs on 2/21 and became the final version. (95)
    02-17-67 -- "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" -- Take 9 -- remix 1 from the day of tracking, before the effects loops were assembled (2/20) and superimposed (3/29). (98) A composite of Takes 1, 2 and 7 was released on A2.
    02-22-67 -- "Anything" (aka "Drum Track") -- Take 1 -- God, NOT the full 22:10 take (!), but perhaps something fun could be made of it -- give Ringo a chance to shine! (99)
    03-20-67 -- "Beatle Talk" -- Take 1 -- "Quite what was said is not known for neither the recording sheet nor the tape box are very revealing and the tape itself was taken away by George Martin and never returned." (103)
    05-09-67 -- "Untitled" -- Take 1 -- a 16-minute jam -- if they committed it to tape, it should at least be listened to (111)
    05-17-67 -- "You Know My Name" -- Part 1, Take 10 -- with "a little vocals" (112)
    05-26-67 -- "It's All Too Much" -- Take 4 -- Full 8:09 version (113)
    06-01-67 -- "Untitled" -- unnumbered takes of "downright amateurish" jams. Hmm ... while this seems to be Exhibit A in the "not EVERYTHING should be listened to" argument, if people can listen to every minute of the Get Back rehearsals, they can certainly listen to THIS. Once, anyway. (114)
    06-08-67 -- "You Know My Name" -- Parts 2-5 -- edited (with Part 1) and mixed to mono (6:08) on 6/9/67. (116)
    09-08-67 -- "Flying" -- mono remix 4 from Take 8 -- with "jazzy sax recording" at end (123)
    09-28-67 -- "Flying" -- mono remix 6 from Take 8 with additional overdubs (9:36) (127)
    10-12-67 -- "Shirley's Wild Accordion" -- either Take 7, remix 2 ("Waltz") or Take 14, remix 3 ("Freaky Rock")
    10-??-67 -- "Jessie's Dream" -- Recorded privately, not at EMI (128)

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Okay!!

PRE-ORDERED!!! :winkgrin:

Seriously, they could easily press up Anthology 4 - 6, EASY. Especially if they focused on many of the other neglected live performances!

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I'm Looking Through You [first re-make)
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps (first band version)
    Let It Down (apple studio full band version)
    In My Life [organ solo version)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:drool:

DmitriKaramazov and Kim Olesen like this.
  20. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

If we are waiting for next decade for Vol 3 then we won't see the same depth of research. There will be nobody left to talk to.

e.s. likes this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mark Lewisohn, a few days ago, revised his earlier 2020 prediction to "2020 or thereabouts", so might be more than 3 years to wait :cry:

22. Arnold Grove

Some scholars here have theorized that Mark is purposefully delaying Volume 3 as late as possible so that he won't have to deal with the wrath of Ms. L.

23. brainwashed

And again, this is just the stuff we're privy to via Lewisohn. Let's be honest, Mark did NOT listen to all the session tapes. He didn't have the time to do so. Hey, maybe take 2 of She Said, She Said is killer. Or take 38 of Happiness Is A Warm Gun... you get my point. Hundreds of takes we literally know nothing about. I still want to hear those 1967 jams. They might suck, or maybe they are interesting. Mark's review didn't indicate he really listened intently to them. I want to hear Penny Lane in its earlier state, before the copious overdubs. I could list 30 or 40 things that I'd want to hear, stuff Lewisohn barely acknowledges. Ron

Sean Murdock likes this.
  24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I take it this is no longer available?

Tried searching for it on iTunes and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Mark

25. brainwashed

It was part of George Harrison's Early Takes Volume 1 (an iTunes exclusive). It's not listed as a "Beatles" track. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.