What one band is most responsible for the genre of heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SOONERFAN, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

IMO, there are many songs that have a couple of traits that would be incorporated into heavy metal. Kinks, Blue Cheer, LZ and on and on. However, I think the answer as to what band was the biggest influence and which incorporated the most musical traits that would be used in what would later be called heavy metal, is a simple answer. Without question, it is Black Sabbath.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One: Black Sabbath

But the four cornerstones are:

Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Deep Purple
    KISS

3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

If you have to pick one band and one band only, it has to be Black Sabbath. Obviously there are antecedents and later bands of immense influence, but Sabbath is at the heart of it all.

4. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Wow! It even had a guitar solo. :righton:

Sternodox likes this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

....the infamous "unholy trinity of British hard rock and heavy metal" and KISS. :shh: Well, from the makeup/costumes perspective, you may have a point there.

7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Sorry, just had to throw that one in.

My real vote is for Deep Purple.

Holy Diver likes this.
  8. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Grand Funk Railroad

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Way too many artists point to KISS as the starting point for them...so they deserve to be included.

10. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I'm not sure how I've lived my whole life without ever hearing of Blue Cheer. +1 to everyone who mentioned them. Listening on Tidal now.

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

Which was the original question wasn't it? Which "One band is most responsible"?

And of course the answer is BON JOVI. At least that's what VH1 taught me ;)

Wounded Land likes this.
  12. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I don't know... YRGM has always sounded pretty light to me...

Tony Stark likes this.
  13. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Judging by your reply, it`s pretty obvious that you are judging "You Really Got Me" with a 2017 ear. In 1964 standards, the song would certainly have been deemed as loud.

Here is a Wikipedia link to the song. See paragraph 2 : You Really Got Me - Wikipedia

If you do not want to read it, here below is the salient sentence from the article, addressing its influence on heavy metal :

"You Really Got Me" was built around power chords ( perfect fifths and octaves ) and heavily influenced later rock musicians, particularly in the genres of heavy
    metal and punk rock".

This is an excerpt from a book written about The Kinks by Nick Hasted.

Need more ? Here is another article from another industry rock website :

How the Kinks Changed Rock Music With One Riff on 'You Really Got Me'

And as an aside and off the top of my head, Cream and Blue Cheer were much louder. They each released albums that predated the "White Album".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Black Sabbath was not a universally loved band when they first came out, and the association with the term heavy metal did not overcome that. I can't help thinking for many heavy metal was something less than a totally approving term.

15. Hardy Melville

It's fair to say You Really Got Me, also All Day and All of the Night, were early precursors of heavy metal.

But were they heavy metal? Not really. More garage band sounding. In fact these songs also had elements that went into punk later.

Tony Stark likes this.
  16. Hardy Melville

I understand what you are saying, but only up to a point. I don't think ANYBODY at the time was doing something like Doctor Please.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No, they weren't.

Neither were Led Zeppelin, who were constantly lambasted.

IMO, in both cases, it was pathetic, poorly informed writing and based on personal judgments by people without the slightest clue about musical possibilities in rock. And I think that's why both bands stopped even doing press for the most part.

My point was that Black Sabbath were not labeled as "heavy metal" to differentiate what they were doing from Led Zeppelin. TBH, I doubt most critics who were criticizing the heavy rock wave coming from Britain in the late 60s/early 70's would have even heard much difference.

Besides, one of the first to use the term "heavy metal" as applied to Sabbath was critic Mike Saunders, who unlike some of his contemporaries at the time rated Sabbath as the greatest rock band in the world. I think I referenced one of his stories a page or two back.

18. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

I never made the inference that "You Really Got Me" was heavy metal nor that The Kinks were heavy metal. I don't get your counterpoint as it states the obvious. You need to scroll up higher to see the context of my conversation with Mychkine. And I would certainly agree with you that the sound of these two Kink's songs has a garage rock sound. Technically speaking, "You Really Got Me" was released before "All Day and All of the Night", hence my reference to the former alone.

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Budgie and Steppenwolf

Les26 likes this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

In the early to mid seventies I cannot remember any Record Shop that had a Heavy Metal section, plenty of Heavy Rock or Hard Rock sections but never Heavy Metal. Therefore Black Sabbath are not have not and never will be Heavy Metal, they are/were and always will be Heavy Rock in my book.

Rufus rag likes this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I think the day we start judging the musical significance of subgenres based on whether record stores had a section for it back in the day is the day we should all give up even discussing music.

I don't remember a "Free Jazz" section at record stores either, so I guess Ornette Coleman and Duke Ellington are the same.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

uriah heep

Rufus rag likes this.
  23. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

Jimi Hendrix, The Who and Cream laid the groundwork.
    Beatles' I Want You helped
    Black Sabbath cemented it as a separate thing from heavy rock.

24. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

montrose

25. Hardy Melville

I was merely responding to the mention of the Kinks in this thread, which is about heavy metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.