Appreciating Nirvana's "Nevermind" Over 25 Years Later: Immense Seller-- POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I know exactly what you mean here and agree with you 100%.
    Im a musician myself and I also had similar kind of friends that I hanged around with back then. I won't go to too deeply into details but it's similar case as yours. It's their own loss if they only limit themselves to that precious technical wanking stuff.
    Im really happy that I never became music snob and I can listen to whatever I want without any problems. Whatever it is (genre or musical ability of the musicians doesn't matter a thing) as long as I like it, dig it and it moves me. It's fine for me. I enjoy music and it's the best thing.

éder, DTK and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

They rip it technically and belittle an album if it's not on par with Ray Davies lyrically.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hm, what do you mean with that sentence? "Rip and album"? that's the part I don't get..

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Pretty much the same for me, except I was 24 in 1991 (and 25 when I first heard CD in 1992). Other than that, I could have written your post.

ronm and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Rip meaning-- belittle the album.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was too. I was quite young but basically fed up with popular music. Now there's a lot of revisionism but it wasn't fun. Programmed pop. Phil Collins. Ugh. Nevermind saved me from being a jazz and 60s guy for life.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hear ya, over produced but I have a gazillion albums I love big 1980's.

SammyJoe and DTK like this.
  8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im not still sure what you mean with this sentence. English is not my main language so..

Liking and loving "Nevermind" or Nirvana does not mean you couldn't love other genres or times, I can surely listen to good jazz and good 60's music aswell. But I know what you mean here.

9. éder

éder Forum Resident

I wouldnt say nevermind was the last great rock band album , but i would say it was the last album to truly change music globally..
    Just off the top of my head to name a few albums - ,Dirt - alice in chains, Superunknown - soundgarden
    Purple - stone temple pilots , Angel dust - faith no more , were great albums to my ears.. but they all owed a debt to nevermind for their commercial success..
    Another massive album in the uk that changed the music landscape in 1994 was 'definitely maybe' by oasis and that too owed a lot to nevermind. ..

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah I'm still a big fan of jazz and 60s music. What I meant was I had basically given up on mainstream music. I was young; had little knowledge of the US or UK alternative scene at the time; Nevermind opened that up; and MTV started playing more alternative music. It was a different world.

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, the same happened to me. When Nirvana came it surely opened my eyes and ears to other alternative and indie bands.

DTK and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

They rip it technically and belittle an album if it's not on par with Ray Davies lyrically.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, now I got it what you meant. I don't know if the technical music snobs know much about lyrics or Ray Davies though.

Here's one little example of these snobs I knew back then:
    One fellow (musician himself also) didn't like and couldn't listen to some of the 80's thrash (for example Slayer) because the guitarists use pentatonic-scale. True story. :laugh:

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Me too! :)

éder and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  15. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

If I was a closer in baseball...or a WWE wrestler...that would be my entrance song :)

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love your handle. Great team the 1982 Brewers wish they would have beaten the Cards.

17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Nirvana was all the rage among young rock fans when I was 12, when I was 16, and still is today. This is in spite of me being the mature age of 3 when Cobain died. Until I was about 14 or 15 I still thought they were out there and working. It was everywhere, especially around the time You Know You're Right came out as a single and on video. I thought it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen, this dude singing in a snarling way and them smashing up their instruments. I was too young to know who The Who were at this time.

Working at a record store I can tell you that Nevermind - obviously - is a modern classic, it still moves a lot of product among kids and people now into their 50's. Even some of the older record guys I know who were young when the Beatles exploded thought it was a good record. Also, some people otherwise into mainly pop music, hip hop or electronic music - any genre not remotely like Nirvana or Nevermind - enjoy it a lot. Obviously it captured the hearts of many people.

Personally it took me a while to appreciate this record, Nirvana as a band and the whole Seattle thing. I'm glad I did now. Cobain's witty lyricism which still had depth and feel, the lovely loose yet still well played and hard hitting music... And so many great songs. Stuff you can both play if you're in a band AND listen to, and remember.

My choices from the list were the first five songs and Something in the Way. But I enjoy the entire record.

18. readr

readr Forum Resident

Besides the hits, I always felt a pull towards Drain You and On A Plain

drasil and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Nirvana’s Nevermind Turns 25

Ray Davies (The Kinks)

When it came out, I thought it was the most significant American rock’n’roll album since the Doors. Twenty years on and it is still fresh.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

What particular album by Ray Davies solo or The Kinks you're talking about? Please share more info and link, I will check it out.

21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Can't pick any favorites because Nevermind is like Who's Next or Back in Black or Van Halen I or Definitely Maybe or ZOSO - every single song is a "hit" in my book, it's a perfect record.

éder and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Ray Davies thoughts on Nevermind 25years later.

Nirvana’s Nevermind Turns 25

éder likes this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Fantastic album. I prefer In Utero, but this one is also perfect, without a bad track in sight. My favorites are probably Drain You, On A Plain, In Bloom & Lithium, but they're all great seriously. They seem to get a lot of hate or get labeled "overrated" nowadays, but to me, they are every bit as vital & relevant as they were in 91-94.

BCJaysfan, Grant, éder and 1 other person like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Definitely.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing up this thing. :)
    As the original text wasn't in cursive I thought it was your opinion, that's why I messed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.