POLL: Iron Maiden remasters 1998 vs. 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which do you prefer: the Iron Maiden 2015 remasters or the 1998 ones. This topic has been discussed a lot on the forum, but I wanted to give the topic a poll to see which ones the forum likes the best (or dislikes the least)

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What 2015 remasters? HD Tracks?

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Original CDs ... Vinyl or nothing !

4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Um, original Capitol CDs?

black sheriff and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are you not asking about the originals because we all know they're the best?

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

2015 remasters?!?

Galley likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Are the 1998 remasters released by Raw Power in the UK the same as the much hated 1998 Santuary remasters? I ask because I recently found Raw Power NOTB and POM and while they are a bit loud they're not terrible.

8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I would guess same master... Could be wrong though. NOTB is worth it for total eclipse alone though.

Wally Swift likes this.
  9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry if I was vague. I'm not particularly knowledgeable, about it, but I believe the 2015 remasters are download only, because I've only ever seen them on iTunes and HD Tracks. I wasn't trying to do a comprehensive comparison between all the different versions, just those two.

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

The only way to fly!

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I've got an original Japan LP pressing for that track!

12. The Hud

While I personally love the 1998 remasters, 99.99% of the people here HATE them. I would imagine that cassette and 8-track would easily win a poll vs the '98 remasters.

13. The Hud

Is there more than one set of Iron Maiden remasters?

I created a thread about this a few years ago, and got zero responses. I don't know, but I am guessing that there is a difference, but that is just a guess.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

My Raw Power CDs have the same UPC as the one you posted in that earlier thread. That must be the debut. I have 129 and 130. The earliest Sanctuary slip-cased CD I have is FOTD. The UPC on the disc's rear insert is different, it only has the barcode and number same as the slip-case.

Is your UK Raw Power a single or double disc? For NOTB Discogs only lists a 2CD UK Raw Power version. But mine is a single disc. Raw Power licensed from Castle. The earlier Castle CD omits Total Eclipse from the main disc but include it on the bonus disc. The 2CD Raw Power's second disc is the same as the 95 Castle bonus disc. I wonder if the 1998 Raw Power CDs just use the same masterings used for the 1995 Castles?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  15. The Hud

I have all of the UK Raw Power discs, and the only ones that are 2CD are Live After Death, A Real Live Dead One, and Live At Donnington.

Yes, the UPC in the picture is from the debut.

16. Wally Swift

I only took a chance on these because I saw "licensed from Castle". Our opinions about these may in fact be because they are not the Sanctuary 1998 remasters.

17. The Hud

That is what I am thinking.

I believe the 2 disc Raw Power of NOTB is an error. The disc 2 is the same as the 2CD Castle set, which came out before the 1998 remasters.

I believe this should be the Raw Power release, but isn't labeled on Discogs as such:

Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast

Wally Swift likes this.
  18. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Does Amazon carry the original Iron Maiden cd's for sale? E.g. ( under the Capitol label in Canada and the US)

19. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"Mastered for iTunes"? **** that ****.

20. Music_dude

Just flipping through my cd collection and came across Iron Maiden's Killers cd without the cover. It has the album cover on the disc itself, and says EMI Bel Biem, EMI Music Canada on it. Does anyone know which version this is?

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Neither. Original US CD for S/T and original UK EMI CDs for the rest.

22. Music_dude

Just an interesting note about the 98's... Amazon has reviews posted of listeners praising them to the hilt!

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have the cassettes. :D

DiabloG and steveharris like this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Most likely because they sound better in the car and on cheap $10 earbuds.

Most people here don't listen to music like that and would prefer the old Capitol/EMI discs from the 80s if given the choice.

Re: the 2015 HDTracks, the DR is worse than the '98s. Note that I haven't heard any of these but those numbers look so bad they don't inspire me to shell out $17.99 to try one.

black sheriff and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, but only as used copies. You'll need to expand out the arrow and look down at the different versions. Some sellers will be selling those old 80s discs at inflated prices like they always do on Amazon (thank eBay and pricing algorithms for that). Before you buy, message the seller through Amazon and ask for pictures. I've been burned on used discs before because the seller listed their version under the wrong ASIN and/or misrepresented the condition.

The old discs are still out there but they are getting harder to find than they were just five years ago or so. A lot of copies on the market at this point are going to have pinhole problems or just be scratched up. The S/T and Killers seem to be the most PITA to find in great shape at prices I want to pay. I'm thinking of just giving up and recording needledrops of my Sean Magee cut LP reissues of those so I can listen to those albums on the go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.