Beatles Music (by The Beatles) in films

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

I know there are very few films that have actual Beatles music by The Beatles - I can think of 3: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mask, and Shampoo. What are the others? (and I know about the Beatles music in Beatles films, but thanks anyway).

2. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

It's a cover, but it is their version: Roll Over Beethoven in Superman III.

marmil likes this.
  3. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

I Wanna Hold Your Hand is a great movie and features quite a few Beatles tunes in their original version.

4. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

I had no idea - thanks!

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Michael Moore got permission to use "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" in Bowling for Columbine.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is on the Withnail and I soundtrack, probably because the movie was produced by George Harrison's Handmade Films.

"Baby You're a Rich Man" plays over the end credits to The Social Network.

"When I'm 64" plays over the opening credits to The World According to Garp.

Trying to verify one of my hazy memories, I stumbled across this thread from 2003:
    Movies with Beatles songs on the soundtrack?

xilef regnu and marmil like this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Saw this trailer at the movies a couple of days ago.

Got me if the song is actually IN the movie.

xilef regnu likes this.
  7. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: The Rodney Dangerfield vehicle, "Back To School" was released on the very same day as "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," and featured the exact same Beatle recording, prompting Capitol to re-release "Twist & Shout" as a single, due to all the free publicity. It made it all the way to #23 in the summer of 1986.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I can't find the link where I originally read about this, but it gave me the sense it was strictly for the trailer. Here's another story that doesn't touch on that and yet it reinforces that sense. Who knows. All I know is if it's on the soundtrack then I'll plunk down my usual $1.29 for it as a one-off purchase.

(source: Ultimate Classic Rock)

And here's the audio stripped of sound effects and hawt, pouty actors on SoundCloud.

For what it's worth I kind'a like it and kind'a don't. What I really like, though, is that it offers exposure of a "deep cut" to a different audience. I mean, sure, at long last The Beatles are selling out but it was inevitable, wasn't it?

RayS likes this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Thank you for the link. To my biased ears it sounds like a layer of stuff I don't care for placed over a great song that has been sliced and diced. The "Love" version on its own could have met the needs of the trailer, IMO.

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I agree. Yesterday, as I sat in the theater giddily waiting for some Lego Batusi action they ran this trailer (my second time seeing the trailer). This time I focused on the sound, what with its mighty requisite "trailer thumps." Definitely "dramatic."

As you say, to these ears it was a mishmash both in how it masticated the song and how I couldn't square how its lyric or mood was meant to work with the trailer itself. Maybe the song's tranquility is meant to be "ironic" or to indicate the character doesn't fit in this world? Dunno. Years ago I'd've listened to the SoundCloud version closely to transcribe the revised lyric for comparison. These days, I'd rather support it with a clickable purchase, listen to it once more, then hope Apple is open to doing something similar again (more suitably)... and that them darned young ragamuffins doing their hippity-hoppity on my lawn decide to download it to their InstaSpotifyFacebud portable Victrolas so they can Tweet it. Sad.

As to the LOVE version, my only qualm with it is that I can't find a way to put the DVD-A's surround version on repeat. The 5.1 mix is sublime. Wrong thread but... "please, sir, I want some more."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Even more rare: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" also appears on the soundtrack album from the movie.

12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The first film by great Korean director Hong Sang-soo, The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well, veers into bleak absurdism towards the end, but find time to pause to listen to "For You Blue" coming out of a transistor radio. The jauntiness of the tune is a perfect counterpoint and was completely unexpected.

13. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'd like to see a Help or Pepper era Beatles starring in a new animated film, featuring music that's primarily not been seen in film. Say Rubber Soul for example, most of those tunes haven't gained fame in film.

A different plot, instead of Ringo being kidnapped for the ring, some other silly story.... Paul is hypnotized & made to fall in love & get married Tuesday, & leaving the band.... Or whatever... Hopefully better than that, with realistic looking animation.

I like the rockband animated clips, here's one.... McCartney's Broadstreet film, was almost a loose sequel to Hard Days Night, a grown up Paul & Ringo race through London to recover the stolen tapes for the new album, while the Twotles go through various dream sequences & re-record Beatles classics while George Martin lends a hand.... Sounds great !

But it was expensively but badly done, if Ringo had sung one, if George at least made a cameo, if it centered less on just Paul who is the weakest Beatles actor...If only Dick Lester had done it with a script !!!!

To the OPs thread question, I think the Across The Universe film, several years ago, featuring Beatles music is the consensus favorite for A film with Beatles music.

The Frampton-Beegees movie, I think is regarded as the worst.

I like Magic Christian with Ringo & Peter Sellers & Come & Get it by Badfinger. Now that coulda been the next Beatles movie.... Leave the movie & cast the same, just insert a couple scenes with all 4 Beatles singing on the roof, & a few scenes with other Beatles making cameos with Ringo & Sellers voila the 6th Beatles movie, starring Ringo, the others are only featured. Cutaway to the rooftop for a couple songs.

14. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

One of my favourite movies is named after the song Can't Buy Me Love. It also appears in the movie.

15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes. 17 different songs, all performed by The Beatles.
    Check here (scroll down the page) for the song titles: I Wanna Hold Your Hand (film) - Wikipedia

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a movie but Tomorrow Never Knows was used in an episode of Mad Men - and they paid a small fortune for the rights

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  17. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

It totally caught me off guard when it came on. It sure was cool to hear it all loud and spread out on the big screen!

Of course my kids both said "it's
    The Beatles!!" and ignored the trailer itself.

18. Beehelp

Beehelp New Member

I once had a cassette with a film "4+1" about The Beatles in Homburg. It was stolen. But the film was very nice, as well as the tracks

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like the instrumental music in A Hard Day's Night. Time to kick a stone.

20. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

"Got To Get You Into My Life" appears on the end credits of "Minions" in a very cut and shut version to match various antics. It's a bit all over the place with various repeated edited bits.

21. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

If you can get hold of an older copy of the 1967 Harry Saltzman produced spy film 'Billion Dollar Brain' starring Michael Caine, Karl Malden, Francoise Dorleac (in her final film before her sad sudden death) and Ed Begley, directed by Ken Russell it features The Beatles singing 'A Hard Days Night' - over TV footage of the Soviet Army Choir (!) as a guy is playing the album when Harry Palmer (Michael Caine) arrives at the renegades house in Riga, Latvia - the guy asks Harry if he wants to buy some Beatles records !

this scene has later been edited out apparently for copyrite reasons as the ownership later changed but originally being a United Artists film they were allowed to use the music

if you have an early copy of the film it's in there

22. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

I seem to recall Hey Jude was in coming Home. But it was not on the soundtrack LP

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

"With a Little Help from My Friends" in The Lathe of Heaven, including a synth overdub!

24. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The fact that Richard Lester was the director surely helped.

I seem to recall Because was on the final credits of American Beauty, but I'm not sure it was the Beatles' version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.