Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I posted a week ago that the only card inside the set was a card with all the prior sets on it and a message to go to pm.com for future release info. The same as he just did

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Yorick likes this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

So two full deluxe sets received and no "coming soon" card included

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Is no "Coming Soon" card a big deal? We know, from the recent not-an-interview with Scott Rodger, that he plans to go further with reissuing Paul's classic albums and namechecked Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway himself. I'm not worried.

From Super Deluxe Edition: McCartney's manager reaches out to explain Flowers in the Dirt downloads

What’s does the future hold in terms of the physical deluxe editions of archive collection titles?

Paul’s team work on one project at a time because there may come a point where the record label says there is no demand anymore. Despite this, I was assured that loads of potential projects are being discussed such as Wildlife and Red Rose Speedway.

4. Don't buy something you will never play. Ridiculous, IMHO. These are not investments, as some people like to say (I'd love to see what REAL investments those people have), or things to be put on a shelf and only looked at. If you really think they are, then buy one to play and one to . . . not play.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Wingsfan2012 and supermd like this.
  5. How do we know there is no coming soon card? Are there unboxing videos that show it is missing? :confused:

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It was mentioned upthread. Instead of a "Coming Soon" card, we are getting an "Already Released" card:

7. Oh, this is how we know. At least we know there will be forthcoming titles. We just don't know WHAT they will be.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And that is how the COMPREHENSIVE PLAN is going to work. On Concord, we knew what we were going to get next, but we never knew when. But now on Capitol, we don't know what we are going to get and we don't know when either. o_O

I can't help but feel that something is not right here... ;)

9. That's true. I don't think it sounds any better than the LP version, but it's definitely an interesting take on the song.

10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea...they sound nothing alike. "Dear Friend" is devoid of the shlocky eightees production, so that already puts it miles ahead...

Mazzy and leeroy jenkins like this.
  11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Whoever drew the band on the back of the album even showed Paul as a right-handed bass player. I can only imagine Paul's state of sobriety if he was the one who drew it. Went well with the album theme of not being thought through that much.

12. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Permission granted -- to the extent that it's mine to give. :D

You make a worthy point, more articulately than I did, that there is more to the merits of a song than just whether one likes it or not. As different people hear it different ways, certain characteristics come to the fore more than others, and in ways that some people pick up on and others do not. Sometimes one has to be in the right place, at the right time, under the right circumstances, to "get it," not even factoring in that the writer has his/her own vision and voice that he/she hears and listeners may not be able to do so. Part of what makes a great writer is that ability to connect with others, rather than just express the self. Sir Paul always has had an innate ability to do both, thus his ongoing influence and importance. I'd say that's one of the reasons why the Archive Collection is such a good idea. It allows us all, indeed McCartney himself, to take a fresh look at a given work after a while away and both see and hear it differently than before. Let's hope that the series continues from here, the "Coming Soon" card situation notwithstanding, as there is still a lot of worthy music to rediscover and recontextualize.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Rumblings of also digital only sets being passed out. Interesting!

14. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

R.I.P. "Coming Soon" Cards
    (2010-2015)
    Cause of Death: Acute lack of accuracy and hypersensitivity to ridicule.
    Beloved son of New McCartney Reissue Program and Paul McCartney to Revisit Previous Albums, loving brother of Also Available and See Website For More Information. Cousin of Coming Next and Future Releases. The family requests, in lieu of Flowers (in the Dirt), that donations be made to the MPL Tote Bag, Pendant, and Sweater Fund.

15. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Re: WildLife back cover
    Paul trying to draw and write like John...(wife in tow...like John).
    For all we know...this is a soft answer to the Primal Scream.

16. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Press To Pay

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

This wins post of the week.

18. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Amen. I'm not much further behind in age. Time does fly.

19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I'm small jump in front of you

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  20. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Back to the Egg is a solid first side in my opinion. That's where the hits are and it has the most current new wave sound. Side two is okay but falls apart and doesn't have the same consistency as the first side. However Baby's Request is a great song. Always felt it was underrated Album.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I would be all for this, as I am all about the music

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. Ken.e.

I know our price in Canada is crazy high. I keep waiting for a price drop but it stays at 176. I'm actually debating on cancelling if it stays there.

23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I don't know if I'd enjoy the books and album notes digital. Unless it would seriously pick up the pace of releases and much cheaper

Mr. Explorer and RAJ717 like this.
  24. Ken.e.

Oh the pain and heartache, why must you keep tormenting with the no coming soon card comments. It's not right, first no b-sides on physical disc and now no coming soon card. It's madness I tell you madness!

Oyster Boy and maccawings like this.
  25. downer

downer Senior Member

'And something is happening, but don't know what it is... do you, Mr Grove?..."