My iPod Classic 160g has died. What now?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is what happened when my first Classic died. There wasn't an option to get a new classic this time around. Think that ship has sailed.

2. I333I

I greatly prefer the SQ on my FiiO compared to the iPod. Yes, not having a playlist option is unfortunate (I make playlists on Apple Music instead), but I found the UI to be perfectly fine after getting used to it. It's easier to format files, too.

Runicen and D-rock like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Exactly how I feel about my Pono too.

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

5. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Can you confirm that the Fiio players can do gapless playback?

I bought my girlfriend one (x3 2nd gen) and have set her up and sent her off to work with it, but I know she'll be annoyed if the gapless doesn't work!

I swear there was a menu option for Gapless playback on/off.

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure all of the Fiio devices support gapless playback at this point. From my reading, I want to say that this wasn't always the case, but it's since been added via firmware updates. Both of the players I've had through my hands (X3 II and X5 II) have the option out of the box.

LivingForever likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

sunspot42 and bleachershane like this.
  8. Tried to install Media Monkey on my WIndows 10...then read the "notes" and found it does not support Windows 10. Then tried Musicbee but my Norton security flashed a warning about the dangers of the download. NUTS. Now what??? Is iTunes compatible with an Android smartphone? Haven't tried that yet, but that's tonight's project

9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I have no security issues with Musicbee and W10. The Norton security flash may be a false positive. There's a pretty active Musicbee forum that you may want to check out as I think it is great music library and playback software.

Runicen likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Just tried this android software from the play store. Seems to work well. There's a free version too. Haven't seen much of a difference btw the two. I've transferred playlists. It's pretty cool. Doesn't mess with DRM stuff though so you'll be out those.

Sync iTunes to android - Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

As far as DRM goes though, seen this http://lifehacker.com/delete-old-drm-copies-of-itunes-music-and-download-drm-1546445214/all

... haven't tried that cause I'm afraid it'll mess up my library. Anyone have any experience with it?

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Is there a step-by-step instructional guide online that is easy to follow and a place where you can purchase the tools and harddrive parts? Link?

12. superstar19

These sites and also search some youtube videos

iFlash.xyz – Welcome to the home of the iFlash Adapter
    iPod Original Repair

IMO, it requires patience and some "artistry" to do so without damaging the backing plate and retention snaps, but even if you end up needing to replace the backing plate, they're easy to get on ebay.

timind likes this.
  13. I333I

Yes, there is a gapless playback option in the menu. Works perfectly.

LivingForever and D-rock like this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

The i-flash website @superstar19 mentions has quite a few videos that helped me. The best tool I used was this: Flexible Pry Tool – iFlash.xyz
    The plastic tools are good to hold the ipod open once you get it started, but that pry tool really made it easy to open my 7th gen. That was my third adapter install and you can't tell it was opened because of that tool.

If you are thinking about DIY, I would suggest getting one of the adapters that takes multiple sd cards for a few $$ more.

Feel free to pm me and I'll advise where I can.

superstar19 and D-rock like this.
  15. superstar19

Agree. I ended up using a narrow width metal putty knife because I didn't really understand how difficult it is to initially get it open and didn't have a metal spudger. If you're a guitar player a few firm picks work well for holding it open in conjunction with the spudger.

timind likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yeah, they actually provide guitar picks in one of their tool kits.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Might suggest checking the date on those notes - I am pretty sure I am running this on Windows 10 at home.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yeah, this is perplexing. I've been running Mediamonkey on Windows 10 from the first day Windows 10 was available. Listening right now, in fact.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Since my 80gb is shot anyway I mayn do this as a fun side project. I'd like to have two 256gb sdcards and make it 512mg.

timind likes this.
  20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You'll have to check the iFlash site. There are limitations with the stock iPod firmware when it comes to total track counts. I believe it has something to do with how it indexes what's on the player. Older players actually had attainable limits. I believe the last ones produced could be upgraded at least to a terabyte.

21. OK will try downloading again. Just could NOT get the iTunes into Mediamonkey, but maybe I'll have to read the instructions in Monkey

22. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Version 4.1.14.1483 to be precise is what I am running on Windows 10... but then I checked for updates and 4.1.15 now available, so I am updating this morning.

23. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Successfully upgraded my 160gb 6th Gen iPod Classic to a 250gb SSD. Works fine so far. Just picked it up last Saturday. Been using it all week. If anyone cares to do the same, I can vouch for Vince at iGadgets in West Los Angeles. Cost me $240 all in. Not cheap but worth it to me.

D-rock and Runicen like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Does he offer an online service to ship to him and back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.