Thorens with Rega arm sound quality vs Rega table

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djemar

djemar Forum Resident

For years, My home TT has been an old Planar 3/RB300/Denon DL-110. I recently picked up a Thorens TD-160 B MKII with a RB251, on which I put another Denon DL-110. Somewhat not surprisingly, I don't hear too much of a difference between the two set ups. The biggest differences for me are that the Thorens is much more sensitive to people walking around, but has a 33/45rpm speed selector.

Both sound great, by the way.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I agree.unable to understand why anyone buys a Rega TT with its ridiculous 3 feet , the TT can tip up when cueing,shows power of the reviewers,much better than 160 is the excellent Thorens 321

McLover likes this.
  3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is what I like about my Planar 3. And for my RP3, the only futzing I've done is with cartridge alignment since I've used a couple of different non-Rega carts with it.

Still, this is a hobby and my curiosity has been piqued regarding other designs, despite not having an overly logical reason behind it. An upgraded Thorens seems to be a reasonably priced entry point into the world of suspended turntable systems.

4. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

once youve set the suspension on the TD160 to how you like it then you dont have to mess about with anything. Of course you can mod things and people go on about modding them so much but you dont have to. You can just play your records on it and they sound great. I put mine in a new plinth, mainly for cosmetic reasons to be honest and havent done any of the other mods people often suggest and i love the sound of it. I often think people talk about modding the thorens purely because you CAN do so rather than specifically NEED to do so.

ddarch likes this.
  5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I never fuss with my VN 150 either.

Upinsmoke and ddarch like this.
  6. Yes it can tip up if you sit on it!!????

7. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I have a Thorens TD160 Super with Rega RB300 arm and I also have a Rega RP3/24. The Thorens smokes the Rega.

ddarch and Helom like this.
  8. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Firstly, any table will benefit from a table shelf on the wall, vibration will be minimized, whether DD, BD, suspended or not.
    Suspended belt drive tables seem to have a bit bigger image and pin point detail. Regas lack some of this imaging and most of them, the ones I have had and still have, run about 2% fast.
    I bought a speed control for use with my AR's but really works well for the Rega also.
    Not the biggest fan of the Thorens table either but can see their appeal, especially dave's (VN) tables.

ddarch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.