New house. I can finally get serious.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kulbot, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kulbot

Kulbot Forum Resident Thread Starter

I usually post in the music forums because I'm not 'up to par' with most of the systems I see posted on here. I'll admit, I'm a bit intimidated by this forum. I have decent stuff, but it's not glorious. Anyway, life changes have pushed me to buy a house and I can finally do as I please with all 1500 sq. ft. of it! It's a bizarre 1965 'quad level' with an entryway, lower lever, mid level (living room/dining room/kitchen) and upstairs with three bedrooms. The smallest bedroom will be an office. The downstairs is not really a basement as it's above grade.

My main listening space will be downstairs. My main system is spartan...Pioneer SX-880, Pioneer PL-514 and Yamaha NS-5's. I'm planning to use my Kenwood KT-8300/KA-8300, U-Turn Plus w/acrylic platter and some Polk RTi 1A bookshelf speakers on stands for my upstairs living room. I have a Pioneer SX-424 and a pair of Pioneer CS-77's for the office. That'll be strictly FM listening. I have a mid-80's Kenwood turntable that I might add to it.

I'm not moved in yet, so I can't post pictures. I will. I'm just curious what you would add/change to the main system and living room system. The CS-77's aren't the best, but they do sound good with the 424. It works for the room.

Thanks for any input.

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Having a dedicated vinyl system is really nice.

Madlove, Dentdog and Long Live Analog like this.
  3. Kulbot

I'm pretty excited about it. I've been setting up a makeshift system in my current home when I had the opportunity. I haven't had a dedicated setup for quite some time. That first night, when it's all set up.....can't wait.

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

3 dedicated systems?

You whupped my butt. :p

Pics, please!

5. Kulbot

I will! A week and a half and I'll be in. I think my speakers are the weakest link in all 3 systems. Suggestions? I'm in a buying mood.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

What kind of budget are you considering?

Used, I'm guessing, is an option given the vintage gear you have.

Nice Kenwood int. I fondly remember the KA-9100 I had in college. Solid amp.

Kulbot likes this.
  7. Kulbot

I've been looking at Klipsch for the main system. Heresys maybe. Saw some Cornwalls for a decent price. That's the system I'm focused on. I really like the Yamaha NS-5 speakers. They're thick and tight for the size. I just think I can do more with the receiver and turntable. My PL-514 is completely refurbished with custom wood plinth. A beauty. I just got it a few weeks ago and played it once. Beatles in Mono. Ha.

Basically, I'll spend a grand for a good upgrade. Yeah, that Kenwood stuff from the 70's is really, really good. :)

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Honestly, I'd sell everything and just get one real nice system. Never been a fan of having plenty of OK stuff. Just get me one great thing instead. My approach...

Paully, G E, Robert C and 1 other person like this.
  9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

^ Yeah, so how many years does the OP have to do without an office system or a living room system in the interest of having "one great thing?"

Given the existing gear and budget, I'd throw the entire $1K at speakers for the main system. The other two systems appear well-balanced. And they're obviously providing pleasure.

Sorry, no brand recommendations; I'm out of touch with vintage gear.

Happy hunting.

Kulbot, Helom and sunrayjack like this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

WOW ! Congrats on the new place and all your gorgeous Pioneer vintage gear, and your curiosity about Klipsch speakers; they rule supreme. I can't speak for vintage, all I know is they need mods and repairs more often then not. There's a recent thread on how some Heresys ¨hurt¨ the OP's ears.

I do have experience with the modern floorstander lines and for a grand you could treat yourself to a nice new pair of R28Fs for the main system. They really pair well with vintage SS Pioneer amplification (see my profile)

:tiphat:

Kulbot likes this.
  11. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

Altec model 15's, Heresy's, cornwalls',vintage Bozaks ,even JBL decade 26 speakers, there are lots of really good vintage speakers out there.
    While not having heard cornwalls I do have all of these and Khorns, I don't think you can go wrong with Klipsch.
    Because I am all about experimenting with existing speaker components, I would imagine if you got some Heresys and a pair of Altec 811 horns with some 808 drivers and put them together they would really sound great.
    I just happen to have that stuff I will have to try that.

Kulbot likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Congrats on your new place. When searching for my new home last year, a decent sized listening space was one of my primary considerations. Fortunately (or maybe not so fortunate), I don't have to worry about wife approval.

I agree with putting most of your budget toward some nice speakers.

Kulbot likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sorry but I don't follow that logic. Why would I need 3 systems in one house? I have a listening area and that's all I need. Seems redundant having 3 systems to me.

Oh well... It was just a suggestion based on obtaining the utmost sound quality but I know it goes against the grain to suggest selling off gear instead of acquiring it.

14. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

Me too. I put everything into my main system and the few things I haven't sold are in a couple of other systems. One is for my son and the other is never used. I'm not a stereo hoarder. I have far more vacuum tubes [100+] and cables and cords than components.

15. Kulbot

I can understand your point about three systems being redundant. However, I like the idea of being able to play vinyl on the main floor while entertaining guests or cooking. Again, the little office system upstairs (SX-424) will mostly be just radio listening while working or hanging out. I really like my tuners and integrated amp - however, I will start weeding out the speakers for upgrades. I'm by no means a hoarder - the gear I've listed is about all I've got.

I appreciate all the good wishes with the house and the speaker suggestions! I need to audition some Heresy's and Cornwalls soon. I bet they will sound great with that SX-880 and PL-514. Thanks everyone!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Congratulations on the house. I just closed on one and am moving in on Monday and am excited to have a dedicated music room. My brother has Klipsch Heresy's and I really like the sound.

Kulbot and Vinyl Addict like this.
  17. Kulbot

Hey Raylinds! Congrats! We're moving about the same time. Hope it goes smoothly!

Buying a house is such a process!
    I close on Tuesday.

sunrayjack likes this.
  18. G E

G E Senior Member

I grew up in a house like that but with a below grade, bonafide basement under the kitchen, DR and LR. Nice to have in Tornado Alley.

I am in the camp of having one great system. Now having said that I have unused pieces of kit from the 70's sitting around.

But I hope to get them on the market soon!

Kulbot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.