Discogs experiences-postive and negative*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

It amazes me how many sellers think that Mint or Near Mint are open to interpretation. I recently bought a CD via Discogs which was listed as NM, but it was EX- at MOST, with several scratches on the playing and label surfaces. It wasn't a cat toy, but it looked like it had been handled quite carelessly. I wrote the seller, who answered that it's in great condition for a 30 year old CD. :rolleyes:

I responded that there's no sliding scale based on age. Mint is self explanatory and Near Mint means it could pass for an unsealed but new disc, with only inconsequential wear being allowed. I mean, how hard is that to figure out? Yes, further grades might be subjective to a degree but not M or NM.

2. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

That's the same response I received! That the grading is a grey area even though Discogs gives a decent description of what NM means, with examples and that the album was in great shape for something almost 50 years old. That's irrelevant like you say. On a positive point, the packaging was good, shipping was quick and the seller has agreed to give me a partial refund and was quick to respond. However, if I had of known the real condition of the album I would have looked around for a better copy, and the other two albums I bought were extras I threw in because I was making an order.

no.nine likes this.
  3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

much of these issues would be easily resolved by discogs adding the ability to attach images of the cd/record in question such as ebay and other selling sites.

is there a good discogs sellers list around here? i havent made purchases yet for fear of getting a chewed up disk rated vg+ but many sellers have thousands of transactions with impeccable feedback.

Old Rusty and GMcGilli like this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This is a much needed feature and something that should be implemented on a site that is only 2-3% less in fees than Ebay. And it's a major reason I continue to strongly prefer Ebay even if it's more expensive from well known dealers, my time is far more valuable.

GMcGilli likes this.
  5. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

I've made now almost 15 purchases in the last 7 weeks from Discogs. So weird that my first 2 orders - were so bad. Both ordered graded as NM (I posted pictures a page or 2 back) and it was scratches galore.

And now - the last 10 have been A+ spot on with grading - and quality.

I have 2 more orders coming in this week. Just so hit or miss. But as of this - I think I'll stay with people who are 100%. It was the 99 and 98 who I had issues with....

Yeah pictures would be awesome... Some Ebay sellers are really great. posting close ups of tine creases on scuffs.... but some of the photos are horrible. blurry - and in the light you can't see anything. That's one bug issue with vinyl - lighting.... and people's eye sight being different :)

6. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

I sold about 6 or 7 records on Discogs, all perfect feedback, but then out of the blue got a negative on a record. There was no communication from the buyer that there was a problem. It was a warp that I didn't catch during visual grading. I would have gladly refunded the buyer's money including shipping had I been told of the situation. Now my feedback looks terrible, and I took all my listings off of the site. Guess I should contact an administrator to see if anything can be done, but I was really turned off by the system there.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That could happen on eBay also.

8. portisphish

True. But, I've been on Ebay since 2001 with zero negative feedbacks and HERE since 2006 without any either.

9. Vinyl Addict

Yeah I hear ya, but it's a toss of the dice, really. I've received 2 Neg feedback on eBay in 15 years (1500+feedback). Those 2 buyers never tried to contact me. Both were shipping issues where I shipped next day with tracking, but the packages were delayed through the USPS due to weather.
    Somehow, that's my fault. Explain that.
    :shrug:

10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

All sellers should have weather control machines

11. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

eBay should make you choose from a list of choices WHY you are giving negative feedback - as well as the typed explanation.

If it's poor communication - then the seller should be able to have Ebay look at the Ebay communication to see if there truly was a problem.

No tracking etc - easily checked by Ebay.

Shipping time? eBay can look at the tracking number and see if it truly was the shippers fault or USPS (all delivery companies)

If they just select a reason and don't explain why the neg feedback - then it's rejected.

Etc.

This might then educate buyers (if their neg feedback is rejected) on how to properly grade an Ebay experience.

This obviously can't cover many big complaint areas like damaged goods or not as described but a step in the right direction?

12. portisphish

Those would be easily taken off with a call to customer service. Maybe discogs has something like that, but I didn't look into it. Does anyone know?

13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That's just not true. A friend of mine is a shooting star seller with three IDs, a dedicated rep and over 10,000 items listed on eBay. He couldn't get unfair negs removed and believe me he talked their ears off at Customer Service. The last one he whined about over beers was because his overseas customer had to pay duty and bitched about it.

14. Vinyl Addict

No need, they've run their course and I'm back to 100% Pos. The Negs only last 12 months, they are not permanent.
    I don't know if you've ever tried to call eBay before, but there's nothing easy about it. :shake:

15. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Discogs Help - Requesting Feedback Removal

This is the most important one - if you want a Neg removed - and the person hasn't communicated with you yet to say why they will leave Neg (not trying to resolve the issue first) - you can get it removed after Discogs staff look through the communication related to that order#:

• Leaving feedback solely to complain about an item or order, without first having messaged the buyer or seller to seek amicable resolution.

Dave, Vinyl Addict and Gumboo like this.
  16. portisphish

Thank you

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IMHO this is another deceptive thing that Ebay needs to do away with. I've lost count of the number of times I've looked at sellers that have "100%" feedback then when I actually examine it they have several dozen retracted feedback (thankfully Ebay shows the number) and plenty of negatives and neutrals with detailed descriptions of what was wrong.

18. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

So, I'm actually having a problem with a seller. This is the last order I'm waiting for. I made an offer 11 days ago. 5 minutes later I was sent an invoice accepting the offer. I paid immediately - and have heard nothing back, and the order still says the payment is pending (seller has not updated to payment received).

I'm sent messages 3 times over the last 11 days asking for an update. And the record I ordered - is still for sale on his store.

Haven't heard anything back. So I just sent a message saying if I don't hear back by tonight I'm filing a Seller Not Responding.

If you don't know what this is - Discogs will contact him for an order update - if he doesn't reply in 4 days - his Discogs account will be suspended - until he makes this order right.

Sellers
    If you receive a Buyer Awaiting Response notice, this means that a buyer has not received the expected communication on the order page. Take note that emails can and do get lost in spam filters and the order page is all we have available to verify communication if necessary.

When you receive this notice, you will have 4 days to reply on the order page. If you do so, then the Buyer Awaiting Response notice will be resolved. If you do not reply to the order page within 4 days, your selling account will be automatically suspended. Your account can of course be reinstated once you or the buyer notify us that there has been communication and/or the order is resolved.

Since my order - his feedback shows that he has received many orders, shipped them out and other people have been receiving all their orders just fine. He's 99%. Weird.

The annoying thing is another user has the same record - and I'd buy it from them right now if I know I'm just getting my money back from this order... Oh well... Will wait and see.

Gumboo likes this.
  19. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

I've filed the complaint - here's what it looks like on my end after giving the seller fair warning:

[​IMG]

Gumboo likes this.
  20. Sophie

Sophie New Member

#GMcGilli you can always claim your money back from paypal

I Like Discogs but I prefer ebay. I 'm also buying from CD&LP and Musickstack and recently i 've made my first purchase
    from e-Record Fair

GMcGilli likes this.
  21. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

If anything - I do feel safe as a buyer when using Paypal - but alas - might be ok this time

Well, after 12 days of silence - and within 8 hours of him getting an email from Discogs threatening suspension (feedback shows he ships ordered almost daily) - the seller has contacted me saying he was out of town for a few days and my record shipped and he will send me tracking info tonight...

We will see. I actually contacted a fellow that had left this seller negative feedback a few months ago - the feedback was identical to my situation. I asked this person if he ever ended up receiving his album and his reply is: I never received it. I ended up disputing the charge since I got no response after multiple attempts to contact them. If I remember I waited for about a month.

So - will see if I do in fact get the tracking number tonight. And find out when it was shipped.

22. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

So.

There was no tracking number yesterday even though he said it had shipped.

But - I just got an email from him through discogs with a tracking number. So I looked it up - and it was shipped this morning. So - after about 2 weeks it has been shipped. Will see if it's actually what I ordered - and if it's in the NM shape it's supposed to be in....

23. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Bought the 5 Royales Rhino comp off Discogs from a nice couple in South Carolina last week and had no issues whatsoever. It's only the 2nd time I've used it. Guess I was lucky with good sellers both times.

24. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

No, I think that 95% of the sellers are actually really good. Before this last batch of 14 records (different sellers) - where I had 2 scratched - and this last one taking 2 weeks to ship - I had 49 great purchases with no problem. Naturally - in a thread titled "I dislike xxx" you'll usually only read negatives from a few people :)

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Reviving this old thread so I can vent too :mad:

I don't know when I will learn with Discogs. I dip in, have a disastrous experience, don't buy anything for 6 months, calm down, place another order, and remember why I gave up in the first place. Then repeat.

Near Mint? Make me laugh. If that's the case, my own records are "better than new".

What amazes me is the positive feedback sellers get when. For example, I just got an order of 6 LPs from a seller with 99.9% positive feedback, all stated to be NM, and are no better than junk in my opinion. Does the typical Discogs buyer set a very low bar?

Interesting what Trashman says, too. Despite me being in the UK and feeling like I should stick up for my fellow countrymen, my experience too is that UK sellers are the worst.

Hopping mad right now! :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.