Next Turntable - Rega P3 vs Technics SL-1210GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wgb113, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to Fremer the new Technics tables ARE all new in every way aside from aesthetics. I've sent him a note in hopes that he'll shed some light on the two choices even though his only hands-on experience with the new Technics is the $4k model.

rtrt and patient_ot like this.
  2. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I do like the "tune dem" method!

3. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

First off, I think they are both very fine turntables and most wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I chose to retain the SL-1200MK2 and sell the RP6 with the Groovetracer Reference Subplatter. Why? It came down to a few factors and I'll try to keep it short:

First and foremost, I couldn't hear much difference in the sound....they both sound wonderful in my system.

I had about $1,800 invested in the RP6 and $400 in the SL-1200MK2 both sans cartridge.

What do I dislike about either of them? The only thing I didn't like about the RP6 was swapping out cartridges. The cartridge leads are uber delicate and It's just a pain in the posterior.

So quite honestly it just came down to money more than anything. Again, I love the sound of both turntables. But, I could get a sound that I highly enjoy for so much less with the added benefit of being able to swap out cartridges with ease.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

There have been articles that break down the GR features in comparison to the more expensive G, such as this one at ... A first look at the new Technics SL-1210GR - is it worth the price? ... I think the end result is probably something very similar to the old 1200, but more refined.

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

"Musical" to me is the feeling the music is happening right there in the room as the table is going around. It sounds/feels live and real. It's happening at that very moment. Not dull. Not boring. My Rega and Technics 12oomkII are next to each other. I use a Nag MP110 on the Rega and a myriad of carts on the MKII - some costing double the Nag.

punkmusick and HiFi Guy like this.
  6. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

If they built the speed controller into the plinth I'd jump on it but I think they are more focused on changes that actually improve sound quality. Wish they'd get their priorities straight.

displayname and kenbefound like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The new SL1200GR is far more expensive than a P3 so I would expect it to slay it. However I have doubts that it will be a major improvement on the Pioneer PLX 1000 at less than half the price of the Technics. That is a more valid comparison in spite of the price difference. I think the OP should also consider a Michell Tecnodec with Rega RB 330 arm.

punkmusick likes this.
  8. wgb113

The Technics GR looks to come in about $600 more than the P3 without cartridge.
    I can't imagine the Pioneer being much of an improvement over the Audio Technica AT-LP240 I have in another system since they're both Hanpins under the hood.
    You can't touch a Michell Tecnodec with cart for under $2K (my budget max).

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'd put the Merrill PolyTable on your list of tables to consider at that price point. Maybe the best bang for the buck at that price point, I don't know that it's going to win any aesthetic awards -- it's basically a subplatter from the older Merrill Heirloom design without the sprung suspension and plinth -- but Merrill tables are really good at dealing with spurious resonances and motor noise and the like the kind of thing that makes a real difference in lower noise floors, more accurate frequency balance, greater detail, wider dynamics, etc.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

That does bring up a good point, and one that @toddrhodes recently went through with his new Merrill sited on his old wall mount, and that is that many of the newer tables being talked about in threads like this have no real suspension (in that list, the Pro-Ject Classic does make an attempt with some springy balls), so while it used to be up to the designer and manufacturer to provide environmental isolation for their tables, it's now mostly up to the user, and vibration/feedback issues aren't always something that inexperienced users can easily recognize, diagnose and resolve.

4xoddic, patient_ot and wgb113 like this.
  11. wgb113

Definitely a factor to consider, especially since I'll be running a sub, possibly right under the shelf that the turntable will be on, similar to what I'm doing now with the Pro-Ject.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Nice people that know what they are doing like any good technical organization. I just left with the impression that they are more focused on maximizing profit while achieving modest gains in performance.
    Still a good choice for people that can tolerate Rega or non-VTA fussy carts and therefore an easy setup- but they are far from state of the art.

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Is the Technics an actual Technics or a Re-badged unit by the maker of the Pioneer tables?

14. Really ? I felt the opposite He spoke on how for years they didn't make a profit but now with the vinyl resergence they have doubled their crew and can invest in newer better products and experiment more in R&D.

And yes they have cheaper Rp1s and 3s that probably sell more than the others and pay for development.

bootbox likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Google can help you with that.

16. Gabe Walters

I've considered these two, and while I've yet to hear either, I'm leaning toward the Technics. It seems to me that the job of a turntable is to spin at the correct speed and to prevent mechanical noise and other resonances from being picked up by the cartridge. Rega's speed accuracy is far less than the Technics, at least on paper. Whether that's noticeable to you probably depends on your sensitivity to pitch accuracy. For me, I tend to care about pitch variations caused by even subtle wow and flutter.

Rega and Technics have very different philosophies regarding isolation. Rega uses a lightweight plinth that favors rogidiy, while Technics opts for weight and damping. Either one is likely fine for home use; the Technics approach helps prevent feedback in the club environment.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

. The Technics is real Technics, handmade in Japan. They're not rebadged by Pioneer or any other maker.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I have Rega electronics (which I love) and an SL-1210. There's no way I'd ever have anything other than a 1210 as my TT, especially a Rega with the speed issues :O

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Rogidiy? DYAC. Of course I mean rigidity.

wgb113 likes this.
  20. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have an RP6 and a nice, stock SL1200. The RP6 wins hands down. Much more detail and bigger soundstage. The Arm on the 1200 just can't compete with the Rega Arm. As for the actual deck and speed issues. I can't tell the difference between the two even with classical piano music. I'd love to be able to test all the audiophiles that claim they have perfect pitch and can spot the difference. I think it'd be fun. So many other factors come into play with a turntable.

But if I had to pick between the 1200gr and an RP6 I'd definitely give the GR a listen. If it is as improved as Technics says it is it will be a winner.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    punkmusick and CCrider92 like this.
  21. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Avid has lost their U.S. importer so there's that. When I emailed them asking about it they sent me a snarky email so I'm not sure I'd want to do business with them anyway.

If I were in your price range I'd get a 2m bronze or black, or a Hana EH, put it in this and call it a day:

Amazon.com: Turntable With Black Marble: Home Audio & Theater

[​IMG]

22. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

That's a good looking TT!

kenbefound and russk like this.
  23. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Johnny Socko would choose the Technics. :p

russk and OldSkoolFool like this.
  24. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Almost. I would wait for the up and coming P6. It should be in your $2000 +/- price range with cartridge (Exact 2).
    What I'd like to point out and most people still don't understand is that those built like a tank mid-series Technics were built for DJ-ing. They're not meant to be a quiet deck or anything special of a tonearm.
    Regas and other specialty brand tables are taking all these requirements that we crave, expect, and need, into account when a product is produced.
    I must've owned 6 Technics of different generations (all 1200 series) and beat the ¥€¢¢^¢π=¶℅ out of most of them. They lasted and worked well. I've tweaked with any imaginable cartridge that was compatible on those arms and still ended up with a commercial sound.
    Look into offerings of the finer arts of TT preparation offered by aformentioned company/s.
    That is not to say that timeless, state of the art direct drive tables didn't exist or are not in use.
    I personally own, love, and would never sell, a Kenwood L07D (along with a hot rodded KD550/Rega RB301 arm).
    The studio Sony's, Micro Seikis, Nakamichi Dragons, Pioneers, Denons, Technics (SP10MK any) etc, etc. These are very fine examples (IMO) of amazing quality direct drives that hang with the best available today.

25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

So, regas do have the issue of playing fast. I don't know why they don't fix it already, but you can fix it yourself with some aftermarket parts I think.

Technics tables I have heard (along with many other vintage stuff to be honest) tend to sound thin to me, but I have never heard one in a great set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.