The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hate to quote myself (but at least I'm not referring to myself in the third person), but thought I'd give a brief update and heartily encourage anyone who has never heard the 9/1/79 Rochester Scarlet->Fire to check it out, that is unless you are one of the vocal minorities here who dislikes those songs in general. Hot playing from Jerry at all points where his guitar strings are intact, interesting solos from the other guys toward the end of Fire while Jerry's string was being replaced (during the break between the second and third verses IIRC), and then he comes back with a vengeance at the end. Definitely an interesting version.

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I go back and forth on 74>73. Right now it's like I have it there.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Get ready for an overenthusiastic review of 9/9/74

This show is just kicking my rear in all the best ways. :)

US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. ianuaditis

Wait until the next day, it's even better.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

I know it is. :D

This run is one of my favorites and I've been waiting for it since I started '74 a few months back. :)

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  6. warewolf95

09/09/74 - London, UK - DP #7 ** (GREAT KEITH NIGHT!!!)

After a random Jack Straw soundcheck, it's into the show proper with a slow-but-powerful Bertha to open the show. Lots of Keith in the mix tonight. The boys pick the tempo up a notch with The Promised Land. Check out Keith's awesome slide-in on the keys!!! An insanely gorgeous Roses is up next – Keith's beautiful country playing makes this special. A wonderfully perfect Jack Straw is up next. Really great piano again! Killer Jerry solo. And then bang on into a ripping Scarlet. Jerry's solo is just perfect! Also, check out the phenomenal jamming in the outro portion of the song for the last few minutes. WOW!!!

And without any break at all it smack headlong into a REAR-KICKING Mexicali!! Woo-eeehhhh!!!! Run for the border, boys!!! A terriffic Row Jimmy that is equal parts delicate and non-dragging brings us back down to earth. Very gorgeous, this one is! Things just keep getting hotter and hotter and hotter and the 23 minute PITB that follows is sure proof of this. Wow! The song portion itself is incendiary! Right off the bat Jerry starts delivering some of his best wah-soloing while the band is keeping pace behind him. This sensational jamming goes on for a long time and every second of it is great! Remember how I once said that some PITB's are multi-part epics and others are just a one-piece travelogue down the same enjoyable road the whole time? This is the latter. Nothing else to say about it except it is one of the most rocking and heavy and awesome PITB's of the year. The energy is OFF THE CHAIN!!!

A really, really nice Deal sends us down the river after the monster PITB comes to a close. Jerry's soloing is very cool and subtle. Out of Deal and into El Paso. Ship Of Fools and T Jed are next. They sound excellent but the source recording dimishes GREATLY into a wall of hiss and I'm just not up for that, so I'll just assume I heard them and that they are great. :) Thankfully, the sound reverts back to good just in time for this raging 16 minute Truckin! :D

Ooh yes, this Truckin' is just what the doctor ordered! Hot as a sizzling sauna! It's like the PITB in that it just goes and goes and goes. However, check out that INSANE jamming that begins around 14 minutes. HOLY CRAP GUYS SLOW DOWN!!!!! :D A wonderful Wharf Rat is up next. Powerful-yet-dynamic. This Wharf is absolutely FANTASTICAL!!!! Greatest Wharf I've ever heard. It's just insanely good. And I'm not Wharf Rat kind of guy, so that's saying soemthing. :D Unfortunately the hiss is back for a majestically perfect UJB to brighten the mood. It's a fantastic upbeat version – the kind to put a smile on your face. Too bad about the sound though! :( A rip roaring rocking trifecta of JBG, US Blues and OMSN end this insanely enjoyable show on the highest of high notes.

:) 10/10 show.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Just brought up Relisten, and amazingly enough it picked 9/9/74. No kidding. But today's an anniversary of the Dream Bowl 69 show from the 30 Trips box-one of my ATFs-so I think that's on for this evening.

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Today is also the 37th Anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. Maybe I'll listen to Dream Bowl while watching the Bruins-Ducks game later tonight.

NorCal, DrLunchbox, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lake Placid '83 would be another fine choice.

ianuaditis, NorCal, bmoregnr and 6 others like this.
  10. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

I am watching it on youtube, every year... johnson just scored w/ second left.... USA USA USA !!!!!!:uhhuh:

11. Archtop

Well, you're from Fargo, so hockey's hard-wired in your DNA, no doubt. Boston is similar - not just the Bruins, but with the success of BU, BC and more recently, Yale, Providence, Quinnipiac, UMASS Lowell, and now Harvard, all forms of hockey are thriving in New England. Bit of a down year for North Dakota, but I'd love to see Harvard win it all this year. To have two Ivy League champions in a span of five years would really say quite a bit about the way sports are integrated into higher education. Well, hockey anyway.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled bashing of 1977discussion of the GoGD. :nyah:

12. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

Jeez @Archtop, how many times ya gonna change your avatar? That's what, 4 this year?! ;) Just kidding, cute dog.

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Sugaree.

NorCal and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Do you beleive in miracles? YEEEEESSSS!!

I need a miracle. Everyday!!!

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Clearly the Miracle on Ice must have been on the band's mind when they played I Need a Miracle on 10/17/83.

NorCal and Archtop like this.
  16. Archtop

Mid-life crisis. I'm trying to find the real me and I can't afford a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz. :nyah:

Zafu, budwhite, jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

19. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

No actually I'm from Mn and I was just remembering how many Mn players were on this team....

Archtop likes this.
  20. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

"Dammit, we have a separate thread for photos! No photos for you!" ~the Thread Nazi

Dennis0675 and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Decided to go down the list of Scarlet-Fires on the heady version site and listen to the most popular one I'd never heard before. 4/20/84 Philadelphia. It's darn good.

22. ianuaditis

I decided to listen to 5-11-78, DP25, warming myself up to give some Disco Dead a chance. :cool:

Makes me wonder if Metallica's James Hetfield was also on mescaline from ~1993-present.

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The show in Lake Placid was sponsored by the US Olympic Committee, as they own that building. The money they earned from ticket sales supported the US Olympic Team. While tuning up for the second set Jerry noodled the Olympic theme song that ABC-TV would always use for their Olympic broadcasts, so the boys were clued into the history. Of note, this was the last GD show I went to that had tickets for sale at the box office before the show. And finally, Molson Red Ale was sold on tap at this performance.

Billy_Sunday, NorCal, adamos and 8 others like this.
  24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

You should be able to rip your CD in ALAC format directly in iTunes. There's a setting you can choose for lossless files when converting from CD into iTunes.

Ezzie likes this.
  25. Archtop

I prefer Molson white-label beer, but it's all good.

US Blues likes this.