So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah that initial promo edit is just brutal!! I will be spinning November Rain in the next session!

2. Juggsnelson

Send me a PM on which sleeves you are looking for...I may have a double....you never know! Or post your wish list here. I know member ptgraphics has a huge sleeve collection...you may try hitting him up for those elusive sleeves!

3. Juggsnelson

Here is a photo from a couple of years ago. All cleaned and alphabetized. The cabinets are multimedia units and can be had for 30 to 40 bucks. How many? 5000? 7000? I will have to add up one section and then multiply.....you have me wondering now!
    [​IMG]

team2, no.nine, RiverCity45s and 10 others like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Those were the days!! I can still picture the wall in my local supermarket that had had the top 40 singles displayed on the wall each week with a slot holding each record. It was fun to see what new 45's were put up there each week!

5. Juggsnelson

So I just tallied up one section and multiplied , and it seems like I roughly have 7,200....no duplicates:)

team2, PTgraphics and chacha like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

What a great picture. I wish I had room for all of mine in my music room. Many times, I'll think of something I want to play and the 45 is not here in the house. Most are boxed up in the garage.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

All record stores and department stores were like that, too. Then, they'd keep the more recent, and lower charting ones in a bin.

team2, RiverCity45s and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

That sure is pretty.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

I have been there before! The one you're dying to hear is always the one you can't find too!

Bob J likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fantastic.
    I need to find a good storage/easy access solution for mine. I probably have around 1000. They're in white office file boxes right now. Not good.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

I had many in boxes like that for a few years. It sure was fun going through those boxes when I moved after not seeing them for awhile! If you have the space, those units I have were cheap and super easy to assemble. Only issue was I had to cut the extra shelves (which were supplied) in half to act as dividers to help strengthen the middle of the long shelves to avoid warping. Worked like a charm.

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cool. I think I'd ideally like to find a nice drawer unit.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

7" 45s are still a thing, but only in certain genres I've found. Lots of punk bands still press these, and that's pretty much all over the world. I've recently picked up a great - and I mean fantastic - sounding 45 reissue of a Finnish punk group from the 70s on the Svart label (packaging, pressing, sound all top notch). Reggae artists concentrated on 45s up through the 00's as well. The medium still lives but just not as a vehicle for American pop/rock. Maybe one day it'll catch on again because they really are a lot fun, especially if you get the opportunity to play them for a group of friends.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

For a while, the U.S. record labels were re-pressing classic singles titles from the 70 and 80s. The problem with that is they were not the real deal. They were using album or revised versions of the songs, not using the original label stock, making strange pairings on the b-sides, sometimes not even with the same artist, and they were very hard to find. I don't know why they even bothered. They sure weren't geared toward the collectors, that's for sure! I think they were geared toward the millennial who has no history with the music or the format.

15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

They'd have to do it right, but promoting 45s to this market could be successful...it's just a commitment that I don't think labels are on board for, unfortunately.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  16. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

At all the places I go that participate in Record Store Day, none of them say the RSD 45s sell well at all. One place even quit stocking them completely.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I can understand that. Aside from the idea that 45's aren't an especially popular format these days, most of the RSD 45's are way overpriced. In 2015, there was a Marvin Gaye single with 2 commonly available songs and the price was around $12 or so. Same for last year's Mothers of Invention single. The Kinks EP's have a following and the Rhino Side by Side series has some nice combinations on them but as much as I love 45's, many of the RSD issues are just not worth it.

Bobby Buckshot and Juggsnelson like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

I have picked up many of the 45's from RSD well after the fact for minimal sums. Those Kinks EP's are nice....especially for 5 bucks:)

Bob J likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

I know a few folks who stocked their jukeboxes with these. They thought it was an easy way to get a mint playing copy of a classic tune. I can see that but the collector in me cringes:)

Grant likes this.
  20. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Here's a very odd pairing of song and label on a reissue. It was so weird, I had to get a copy.

[​IMG]

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Guns and Roses-You Could Be Mine/Civil War UK ISSUE
    This lead single from the Use Your Illusion albums hit #29 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1991. This was a great pick for a lead single and the video full of Terminator 2 footage paired with it perfectly. I'm not a fan of Slash's guitar tone on these albums but it kind of goes well with the sleazy tone of this single. This one has held up well over the years for me. A very solid track from a fairly uneven set of albums.
    [​IMG]

Dan Steely and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Guns and Roses-Don't Cry (original(/Don't Cry (alternate lyric) UK ISSUE
    This track reached #8 in the UK and #10 in the USA in 1991. Interesting that the first 2 singles charted higher in the UK than in the USA. I would not have guessed that although the fact that my copies are both from the UK should have given me a hint! Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon sings the co-lead with Axl. I used to play this in a band for a bit and although kind of dull to play, I do really dig the guitar solo.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Grant like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Guns and Roses-Live and Let Die/Live and Let Die (live) UK ISSUE
    This Paul McCartney cover hit #4 in the UK and #33 in the USA in 1991. Not one of my favorite McCartney tunes by a long stretch, the Guns and Roses cover doesn't improve on it at all for me....or so I thought. I actually listened to the original the other day and was surprised by how much I liked it....more than I thought I did for sure! Spinning the GNR version now I have to say I really like it a lot more than ever. Now there are thousands of songs I would rather hear them cover but time has been kind to this one for me personally.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Guns and Roses-November Rain/Sweet Child O' Mine UK ISSUE
    A #3 hit in the USA and a #4 hit in the UK in 1992. Clocking in at 8:58, this is the longest song to ever hit the Top Ten in the USA. A truly epic track, the video for it was equally as epic. Stephanie Seymour never hurt huh? That part where Slash steps out of the church in the desert to play the solo is just awesome. When Axl's head is right he certainly can write a great hook. This tune may have created a monster...Overblown tracks like this one would eventually take their toll but here everything gels perfectly....the piano, the symphony, the hard rock finish.....great stuff all around.
    [​IMG]

25. Juggsnelson

Guns and Roses-Knockin' On Heaven's Door/(live) UK ISSUE
    This Bob Dylan cover hit #2 in the UK in 1992. The B-Side is the version of the tune from the Freddie Mercury Tribute show. Nice to see the boys donated the proceeds of the single to the Mercury Phoenix Trust! A rare instance for me where I really like the cover more than the original. Dylan is one of my all time favorites but GNR really nails this song. I always thought the live version from The Ritz that MTV used to play was fantastic.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.