EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I think the "Playboy" to the far right is Carl Radle of later Delaney & Bonnie and Derek & The Dominoes/Clapton fame.

pablo fanques and Mylene like this.
  2. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

This earlier 50s performance gives you a rough idea of what that might have been like:

SuprChickn77 and John B Good like this.
  3. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Game Of Love - great song with a great sound. I love what's going on with the arrangement and the dueling vocals. BTW just to be crystal clear, Mashed Potato as a song is light years better than Do The Freddie.

SuprChickn77 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Actually, the very next #1 would make it three in a row for Manchester!

6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Huh, I always thought they were from London for some reason. Probably their mellower style.

7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Sex education comes to the radio. The instruments come in, one by one, setting up interest. You know the words after one listening and it's two minutes long so you never get tired of it. Still one of my favorites and I'll listen to the whole thing when I heard it. Loved "Groovy Kind Of Love" too.

SuprChickn77, Manapua and sgb like this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Nah, you're thinking of Jewel Akens:

sgb and Jamey K like this.
  9. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

The next up is "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" by Herman's Hermits, #1 from May 1 - May 21, 1965.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nah! If you want sex education in your music, Blowfly is the guy to listen to!

[​IMG]

pickwick33 likes this.
  11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter a lot, although I was lukewarm about it at the time. It's one of my favourite Herman's Hermits tracks. Silhouettes will always take top spot, with A Must to Avoid, Dandy and No Milk Today strong contenders.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another annoying, borderline novelty track. At least this one seemed a little genuinely quirky.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  13. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I know a lot of people who hate on Herman's Hermits. Truthfully, I was buying any and all British band's records, this one included. I thought their better stuff came later in "No Milk Today" and "Kind Of Hush." I wouldn't miss this song, if I never heard it again but I don't turn it off when I hear it.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Not my favorite Hermits record but considering it was our intro to the group, I liked it well enough at the time. This is the original version from 2 years prior:

MaggieMac and Damiano54 like this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

So, if I'm reading you gentlemen correctly, you're staying I should have actually listened to it before commenting instead of relying on my memory and being completely wrong? :D

Never listened to it in headphones before. It always sounded so good in speakers just I assumed it was stereo. Of course, the experts are correct and I was totally wrong. Mea maxima culpa.

16. Grant

I don't use headphones. But, the song has never, until a scant few years ago, been in stereo. And, the Eric stereo version leaves a lot to be desired, just as their stereo mix of "Love Is All Around". A lot of the stereo hounds love them just because they're in stereo, though.

17. Grant

I really like "Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Daughter". It's minimalistic and honest. In like that it's very English.

MaggieMac, sgb and Damiano54 like this.
  18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I thought it would be impossible to produce a song as bad as or worse than "Mrs. Brown" back then, but my girlfriend at the time was crazy about it. These days I think it's a well conceived, catchy little tune and a great sing-along. The Rays still own "Silhouettes" AFAIC, and my other Herman's favorites in order of preference are "There's a Kind of Hush," "I'm Into Something Good" and "Listen People."

SuprChickn77 and Manapua like this.
  19. Hey Vinyl Man

Ever heard the Ronettes' version? (Pre-Spector, I believe.) It's top shelf!

20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I still think it's big pile of hokum, myself. Herman's Hermit's never impressed me, except for Peter Noone's hair in the 70's and 80's. THAT was a mane to be proud of! I thought "A Must To Avoid" is pretty decent, "Listen People" is ok.. and that's about it. I'm kind of shocked to see the dislike for Gerry and the Pacemakers. Why? What's wrong with this? Nothing!

21. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Is that 70s-era Peter Noone in your profile pic?

MOR ballads just ain't my pot of stew, so I could do without Gerry, Petula and that song about Mrs. Brown's daughter.

22. Hey Vinyl Man

I agree, but in my experience people tend to either love or hate both Gerry and the Pacemakers and Herman's Hermits. I, for my part, can't think of any meaningful difference between the two unless you give G&tP hipster points for being from the Beatles' hometown.

23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Believe What You Say has his greatest playing with Ricky in my opinion:

SuprChickn77, greelywinger and sgb like this.
  24. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I don't claim to be any kind of Hermits fan, but their psychedelic album (Blaze) is surprisingly good...mature without making a big deal out of it. Plus, I like isolated songs, like "It's Alright Now," "Listen People," "I Can Take Or Leave Your Loving" or "My Reservation's Been Confirmed."

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I did a little checking and I have the song on The Ultimate Collection CD. I'll have to play it again since I don't remember it. The song didn't make it onto my hard drive library, alas.