PS Audio Sprout or NAD D 3020?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Edgar Díaz Garcilazo, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgar Díaz Garcilazo

Edgar Díaz Garcilazo New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I know this has been already discussed, but I´m writting you from Mexico City. I have done most of my research through the internet, about what would be a best option or more suitable for me between the NAD D 3020 or the PS Audio sprout to use mainly to play vinyls, mp3 and streaming (in that order of importance). I have an Audiotechnica LP-120 and will use M8 Revel speakers

There is no PS Audio dealer in Mexico, so haven´t had the opportunity to try it, but I had the opportunity to try the NAD D 3020 vs a Yamaha WXA-50, and for my the NAD was way better, although I ony try it streaming on both.

At home I already have a Yamaha home theather with Phono input where I connet the turntable. The turntable has the to options (preamp and line) and I try by connecting the turntable to the yamaha home theather in the line mode, but I could notice a loose of gain/power on the volume.

Since the NAD D 3020 has no specific Phono input, would I experience some loose of power or gain in the sound while using the turntable?

It would be better to go for the PS Audio Sprout, that has an specific Phono input, and for what I have found in the reviews, it is mor suitable for vinyls?

Thank you for your comments

Cheers from Mexico

2. Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior Forum Resident

I would not recommend the Sprout if you ever plan to use full range speakers. It has a 7-8dB emphasis at 70 Hz. This is designed for bookshelf speakers whose bass frequency is declining. It should work with the Revel M8 but if you upgrade to a full range speaker you may find that 70 Hz emphasis annoying. I tried pairing it with Tekton Pendragons which have bass extension to -3 dB @ 30 Hz and I did not like the combination. However, it sounds outstanding when paired with B&W LM1 wall mount speakers. YMMV

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I think the D3020 would be a better choice, too, as far as fidelity, but the comment is not correct. The Stereophile measurements of the Sprout (this is a link) show a bump of about +0.5 dB at about 85 Hz and a steep decline below, down to -6 dB at 20 Hz (Figure 17). The NAD has a flatter frequency response, and John Atkinson was more impressed in general with its technical performance.

I looked up the LP-120. The listing said it has an internal phono stage and USB output. If I understand that correctly, you should be able to plug it into the USB input of the NAD with no problems.

4. Edgar Díaz Garcilazo

Edgar Díaz Garcilazo New Member Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers.

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

NAD would be my recommendation over the Sprout

6. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I bought my ten year old daughter the d3020 as a Christmas gift. Sounds good with an old pair of a/d/s mini monitors. Interface is a little wonky, but it does Bluetooth audio well.

7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I bought my ten year old daughter the d3020 as a Christmas gift. Sounds good with an old pair of a/d/s mini monitors. Interface is a little wonky, but it does Bluetooth audio well.

8. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Sprout if you play vinyl. NAD if playing line level sources. Be careful with your speaker mating choices, neither are powerful) like a Rega Brio-R/new Brio).
    Yes, with NAD you won't have enough gain using your TT as source, you'll need an outboard phono preamp.
    Good luck and have fun.

9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

And so the D 3020 gets a version 2 upgrade with MM phono input.

eyeCalypso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.