Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Last for today in my Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 survey was performed by Alexis Weissenberg with the Orchestre National de France led by Leonard Bernstein on EMI.

Results to follow.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  2. bluemooze

Today's results for my Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 survey...

The version I last listened to remains fresh in my mind while details of the previous ones slip away. Without checking the CD inserts, I'd say that the Weissenberg/Bernstein recording does not blast through the concerto as fast as the others.

Inconclusive results. All very enjoyable. Miraculously talented pianists. Going to re-listen to them all tomorrow.

Any more fans of these performances? :)

DeepFloyd11, Marzz and David Ellis like this.
  3. bluemooze

Might as well add this to the list. "Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto 3" performed by Arcadi Volodos with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra led by James Levine on Sony.

[​IMG]

Sherm likes this.
  4. bluemooze

Now listening to "Alessandro Scarlatti - Serenate A Filli" performed by La Rizonanza led by Fabio Bonizzoni on Glossa.

Featuring: Emanuela Galli (soprano), Yetzabel Arias Fernandez (soprano) and Martin Oro (alto)

[​IMG]

VinylPhool and Marzz like this.
  5. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Palestrina - Canticum canticorum/Madrigali spirituali" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on EMI Reflexe.

Beautiful music - for me, pure ear candy. :)

[​IMG]

jeighson1, ZenMango and Marzz like this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 8 from this set. I'm excited about this set, and had to listen to this one first. My favorite chamber orchestra playing some of my favorite string pieces. And the bonus is the Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings. The coffee tastes even better!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

What you're doing reminds me that I need to spend more time listening to these concertos.

8. bluemooze

This is a carry over from the other thread. I usually don't listen this way and it is a good way to become familiar with a piece of music. I still don't hear anything major that would make any of the performances stand out over the others.

9. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 5 from "The Flowering Of Renaissance Polyphony" performed by Pro Cantione Antiqua, London led by Bruno Turner on Archiv.

Cristobal de Morales
    Jacques Arcadelt
    Adrian Willaert
    Jacobus Clemens Non Papa
    Cipriano de Rore
    Jacob Handl
    Phillipe de Monte

[​IMG]

Donniej, Marzz and Tanx like this.
  10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I don't do a lot of side by side comparisons. Sometimes, though, if I listen to a performance it triggers memories of other performances and I can determine which I like better. Mostly though, I just listen for its own sake.

no.nine, Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  11. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 3 from "Byrd - My Ladye Nevells Booke" performed by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

12. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Bach - Italian Concerto BWV 971/French Overture BWV 831/4 Duets BWV 801-805" performed by Jean Louis Steuerman on Philips.

[​IMG]

13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

A lesser person would say, nice Rach, but I'll describe it as the best-looking Rach 3 out there. Better than the composer's own, that's for sure. Only a mother could love that mug.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I grew up on Haitink's cycle with the RCO, and, like many Haitink recordings, they wear well and are easy to live with. I suggest picking the Haitink cycle, or, perhaps, Karajan's or Wand's, identifying symphonies that you're taken with, and looking into additional/supplementary recordings that might be more individual, distinctive takes on the music.

Among the latter: Celibidache in 4; Furtwangler in 8 (1944); Giulini/VPO in 9 (the earlier Chicago one is good, too); Furtwangler in 5 (1942, not the postwar one); Horenstein/Berlin PO in 7 (1927).

That's my MO in collecting symphony recordings-- a daily-bread version, and something more individual. Inbal and Mengelberg in Mahler 4, for example.

Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  15. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

This for symphonies nos. 8 & 9:

[​IMG]

and this for no. 6:

[​IMG]

16. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Sorry to be dense but I don't see the difference between this and the existing thread. Not that I'm against this thread or anything :confused:

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thread starter bluemooze explained it in post #1: Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation :)

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Can't give any pointers but as far as symphonic works are concerned he is probably my favorite composer. I can't really say why either.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  19. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I know but I guess I don't really get it - I mean, I don't know which thread to post in. No matter, I shall watch and learn.

Meantime I'm looking forward to hearing the Beatrice Rana Goldbergs released tomorrow I believe. Heard some extracts on BBC Radio 3 Record Review and it sounded excellent. Got some rave reviews from the critics on that show too.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Schutz - A 300th Anniversary Edition 1672-1972 Vol. I" performed by the Spandauer Kantorei led by Helmuth Rilling on Vox.

Musikalische Exequien Op. 7

[​IMG]

21. bluemooze

Please see the first post. :)

22. bluemooze

Have you read the introductory posts in each thread? :)

23. bluemooze

Maybe an example would help.

If you are enjoying listening to classical music on a new set of speakers, you may not post about those speakers in the other thread. If you do, you will be reported and your post will be deleted.

In this thread you are welcome to share with us how your new speakers are enhancing your appreciation of classical music. You will not be reported, no one will complain and your post will not be deleted. :)

24. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

So you're saying equipment may be referred to, even if it's not a "TT"?....

By way of follow-up, may I ask if the following are permitted to be discussed:

1. Discussion of music written after 1990;
    2. Discussion of music written after 1890;
    3. Recordings existing solely in digital format and not on vinyl;
    4. Historical background of music, if involves unsavory characters and dead regimes (yes, Habsburgs, I'm talking about you);
    5. Records purchased in some form other than a boxed set.

crispi and J.A.W. like this.
  25. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

"Sorry to be dense but I don't see the difference between this and the existing thread. Not that I'm against this thread or anything"

It's nice to have more conversation about "Classical Music", which doesn't seem to be over represented (like classic rock does). So having more than one Classical thread doesn't seem like an over reach to me. Also the other thread has gotten too big and unwieldy.