Vinyl Microscopy!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thermionic Vinyl, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think he said he got it from a used bin, so it may have been cheap.

2. qwerty

The opening titles to the TV series Vinyl includes microscope video images of a style tracking and jumping the record groves.
    To view you will need to click on the window and it will open in a new tab on YouTube.

Manimal and black sheriff like this.
  3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

CGI or a mock-up perhaps? Didn't look real to me.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I bought one of these from Amazon for $50 and all I can say is "major disappointment". Do they make a different version? I got nowhere near the zoom of yours, even with setting the scope directly on the vinyl and the pics I took had lots of compression artifacts in them. I'm just gonna give the scope to my kids and seek out something better.

5. qwerty

It's hard to say. There would be lots of advances in recent years in micro photography which could realize this type of photography. It would be easier for special effects people to make a large-scale model and film that. It does look reasonably realistic. On review, the curve of the grooves may look greater than to be expected on an actual record at that magnification, which may suggest a model. Whatever it is, I think it looks cool whenever I see it, but I'm always excited by vinyl.

Manimal and Pinknik like this.
  6. Thermionic Vinyl

Thermionic Vinyl Analogue Guru Thread Starter

I thought the same initially as well, the instructions aren't very clear. The trick is to keep twisting the knob way out of focus and then eventually it will appear at a much greater magnification. Trust me on this!

jlc76 likes this.
  7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Ok, that did the trick. Thanks.

8. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

That's the weirdest foreplay I've ever heard of........ :D

Micke Lindahl and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I've ordered an open-box one for $15 on Amazon! Let's hope it works as good as your pictures!

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I don't think we need to start advocating clean rooms for listening to records. that would be a new level of audiophile craziness.

11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I mean, most records are not pressed in anything approaching clean rooms. I guess QRP claims to use clean room practices, but plenty do not. And I don't think they did in the past either.

It is actually one of the cool things about vinyl that it works so well despite all the ways it can get bodged up.

showtaper likes this.
  12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Gheeez sublemon, All I'm saying, working in a clean room raises awareness of just how dusty the typical living environment is. I did not say we all should build a level 5 clean room, and wear full regalia clean room suit? (with two holes cut out for the ears) :wave:

Knowledge is power. Practical applications would be an air filtration device/ionizer (turned off when listening to music) and not wearing high shed clothing (just a regular polyester/ cotton dress shirt sheds lint like mad, imagine a wool sweater or flannel?) Believe this or not, most of the junk that attracts to a record comes from our clothing.

What we do not normally see isn't usually an issue, We human beings are visual creatures. It's different in the micro world... records are pretty much borderline micro. If we could see, then maybe a few of us would be very surprised and horrified... no wonder our vinyl sounds so crackly and poppy? Down in the record groove, micro-dust is largely unseen, especially after a few swipes of a carbon brush>

Think that record's clean? It looks clean! Nope! :cry:

rock on,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    sublemon likes this.
  13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Is there any rule that states, the discerning audiophile should be dissatisfied with background noise, and then keep doing things the same way?

14. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I just got the same microscope but am not getting as sharp pictures as yours. Also you have some really zoomed in pics of the grooves. Is that using the digital zoom from the software? Here are some pics of what I took:

grooves
    groove2

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  15. Interesting/fun thread that serves as a reminder for even the seasoned vinyl fan. I have learned much of this over the years but am reminded again every time I remove/return a record to it's translucent poly sleeve and see the "oil-print" from my fingers or see the oil deposited when I change a turntable belt. even washing with soapy water, your fingertips are "clean" for about 15 seconds until the oil starts flowing. Cotton gloves are good for the belt change but not so much for handling records. Nitrile gloves are starting to make a lot more sense to me!!

16. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

but you have increased the amount of dead skin pieces, hairs, and dust mites that fall on the records...

17. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, some things are inevitable whether we have clothes on or are semi clothed. All my LPs get a good deep cleaning before and after.

18. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

LPs and turntables belong in P3 labs, or semi-conductor clean rooms...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.