Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Just checked my Freewheelin' (stereo) and Desire and those have the OMR-banner and the credit for De Paravicini.
    Kind of Blue is a remix and MFSL issued that remix from the mastertape, with the OMR banner. Just like Blonde on Blonde.
    Times wasn't remixed for stereo as far as I know, so apparently they found a good dub and issued it with the MFSL-banner. It sounds very good BTW.

DeRosa likes this.
  2. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

What is the exact wording of the credit(s)?

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

It doesn't appear that anyone knows for sure. I believe all of the comments on this subject are speculation since MOFI does not reveal the details (other then the OMR vs. MFSL banner on the cover).

All of these Dylan LPs sound great so whatever they are doing, it works. However, I don't see why they are not more forthcoming on this subject.

Plan9, DeRosa and millbend like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have old MFSL that I really think sounds fantastic. Deja Vu and Blind Faith just to name two. Love my UHQR Sgt Pepper too. Let me look through my records and I'll come up with some more. I agree that the new releases are great.

kronning likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe because there is nothing more to say. They get the original tapes (OMR) or the next best copies (MFSL) and master them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Tom Campbell and bmoregnr like this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

To be clear, i'm not passing judgement, or suggesting what exactly Mobile Fidelity's practices are,
    i have no inside knowledge. My point was simply to point out that they distinguish between the different source tapes,
    some are "Original Master Recording" and some are MFSL, so obviously they have some basis for doing that.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

With all due respect, I think you're being overly cynical regarding Mobile Fidelity. If they claim their pressings are 100% analog, I have no reason to doubt them. The proof is in the putting, so to speak.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Can they lug the tape deck to Abbey Road?

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The GAIN2 all-analog mastering chain starts with a modified Studer A80 tape machine. Tim de Paravicini helped them create that chain, which is why he is thanked in the notes of all their releases. Everything they put on vinyl, except perhaps the Silver Series, comes from tape. They have said that they use the MFSL banner when they can't verify their source is the original master tape, but as has been noted, they also aren't clear about what they mean by Original Master Recording. Kind of Blue was cut from Mark Wilder's 1997 stereo mixdown tape. I find it hard to believe that they created a dub from that, as Fremer asserts without any evidence.

Plan9, millbend and mikeyt like this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was hoping that Krieg Wunderlich did the monos. Anyone know if that is the case?

11. Shank's Pony

Shank's Pony Forum Resident

Yes, Krieg cut the Mofi monos.

chacha likes this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Excellent. I have a few on order and dig what he did with the Airplane & Love.

13. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Anybody know which vinyl or sacd is coming next

14. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

This isn't 100% true. The OMR banner is used for whenever they use the actual & verified source tape, be it analog or digital (see Brothers in Arms for a digital source tape and OMR banner). The MFSL banner is used when the original source is not available or cannot be verified; in many cases these are one generation away from the master and the master no longer exists or is strictly not abailable. The Silver Series is reserved for multi-generation tapes (e.g. Stevie Wonder) or other digital sources.

Plan9 likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Happy to be corrected. When the master is a digital recording, do they cut from that or transfer to tape first?

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

These are the mono's that have been announced but not yet released:

Vinyl:
    Bob Dylan
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Freewheelin'

Sacd:
    Bob Dylan
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Times the are a changin'
    Bringing it all back home
    Freewheelin'
    Highway 61
    John Wesley Harding

Rickchick likes this.
  17. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Don't forget the "Love And Theft" SACD.

18. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I knew that but was just wondering if anyone knew which we would see first

They doing vinyl too?

19. So no Blonde on Blonde announced (yet) on either vinyl or SACD? That's interesting.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

No one gets original master tapes from the Sony vaults, incl MFSL etc.

Check the upcoming Mofi titles.... nothing from Sony, except Dylan.

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

*cough* 1-step

googlymoogly, moonshiner and Matt R. like this.
  22. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

I have not seen vinyl for "LAT" announced and it is not in the Music Direct catalog or website. I hope they do.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My guess would be they don't copy a digital master to tape unless they feel the mastering needs it.

24. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

That would be awesome! I bet that would sell out even quicker than Abraxas!

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That would be an instant pre-order for me as soon as announced!