How do you think the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper will be handled by Apple?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OobuJoobu, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not in all cases. The stereo mix of Beatles For Sale is much better than it's mono counterpart.

I prefer to listen to the Beatles on stereo.

2. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I'm glad you both posted because I wanted this for a long time but wasn't willing to double dip the collection for a single "album only" track. Were it not for the above posts I wouldn't have double-checked my memory. Ron, for the only time in my tenure here I think I can correct you (from whom I've learned quite a bit, thank you). You're right that it was an iTunes exclusive but it was part of Let It Roll. At the time of this post it is finally available on that album as an individual track.

Unfortunately, I can't buy it now because a bug in iTunes media purchases screws up my iPhone's Artist sorting. The only cure is deleting all the songs and resyncing. Since I down convert to lossy files, my large library takes about a day to do. Neither Google Play nor Amazon.com/mp3 offer Let It Roll at all, let alone with that bonus. So close and yet so far.

If you buy the track, do me a favor and play it once. For old times' sake. Play it, @Mark Wilson. Play "Isn't It a Pity."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I like the Beatles on Malbec.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Lol! I'm lousy with iPhones

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

probably the Official "Sgt. Pepper" coloring book

[​IMG]

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You are 100% correct my friend. That's what I get for posting while chairing a meeting. Thanks for the correction. Ron

PS Send me a PM, I can help you help.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Ok gotcha. I see it now. Thanks.

Sorry just to clarify, is this a Beatles demo of a George song that he later rerecorded/released on his own (like ATMP on Anthology 3) or a straight up solo George recording?

I only ask cause it was mentioned in the context of The Beatles' vault so I want to be sure. Thanks!

Mark

8. brainwashed

It was recorded on 26 January 1969 (or maybe the 25th I forget) after the days' sessions for the Get Back project. It's just George and his acoustic guitar. It's a lovely performance. Ron

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

About which version of She's Leaving Home you talks about?

10. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I would gladly forego the idea of a Sgt. Peppers anniversary box for a nice Let it Be movie/CD set.

What I particularly want is the complete Rooftop concert without interruptions or crowd interviews.

11. brainwashed

It's a version that leaked out many years back. It has a cello swirl that was edited out of the released mix (stereo and mono) just before the second verse (check at the 1:18 mark or so). Here's a strings-only version with the cello intact. The booted version includes the vocals. Ron

12. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

What a shame if Apple and the powers that be don't acknowledge the 50th of Pepper this summer........but I would not be surprised.................:rolleyes:

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wouldn't mind the White triple Album myself in 2018.

14. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

The same way they handled the 40th anniversary of the White Album. Careless neglect.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

To be fair, they had the 2009 stereo and mono remasters planned, so they were focused on that at the time.

e.s. likes this.
  16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

So would I. But their usual method is to re-sell you things that you have already bought 10 times before, so an Anniversary Pepper Box (with fancy packaging and minimal or nothing "new" musically, maybe with an accompanying DVD with reminisces by Sir Paul and Whoopi Goldberg) is much more likely.

Lands End Drums likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, Whoopi did not meet the Beatles until AFTER Sgt Pepper. So she cannot comment about that album. BUT if Apple does ever release a DELUXE Magical Mystery Tour CD box set, then Whoopi would be able to contribute some first-hand accounts:

[​IMG] ;)

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Just watched that video that brainwashed posted. Interesting about the song being written about 17 year old runaway, Melanie Coe.

[​IMG]

Four years earlier, at age 13 she was on Ready Steady Go in a dancing/miming competition with Paul as the judge and Paul picked her as the best (IMO she clearly was not) but she was cute and for Paul that apparently was enough.

alexpop likes this.
  19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Later on, she married Burt Ward (Robin in the 60s Batman TV show).

dewey02 likes this.
  20. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

That would be excruciatingly lame, IMO.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wondermints are no Wrecking Crew, never mind anything Beatles related.

22. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

George Harrison - Dehra Dun (Unreleased)
    What year was this recorded?

23. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly - and not just for Sgt Pepper.

The Beatles themselves were more focused on the mono mixes - so a new stereo mix that more evenly balances the instruments & vocals, and more closely matches the mono mix makes sense to me.

A well respected man likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Most likely during the sessions for “Hare Krishna Mantra” by the Radha Krishna Temple at London’s Trident Studios, dated somewhere between March and July 1969.

ranasakawa and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Anyone heard anything?
    I haven't.
    I guess the latest we might hear something is the end of March.
    I'm expecting 'nothing' from Apple but plenty of incidental stuff like those books, maybe a TV thing.

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.