Eric Bloom talks Blue Oyster Cult's studio albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

Yes it was. Thanks for reminding me of that. [​IMG] But I don't know which songs from that album were actually used from this show.

slipkid, Runicen, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  2. I caught the Oyster boys last night in Woonsocket, RI.
    Great show and well received by the 800 or so attendees. Hard to Believe Eric is 70! And they played a rocking Golden Age of Leather.:D

geodos, slipkid, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Just re-listening to "Golden Age" yesterday driving home. I take back what I said about it. It's a good song (still don't like the intro, though).

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

:edthumbs:

BluesOvertookMe and GodShifter like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I feel the same way. I dig the song but could do without the "raise your can of beer on high" intro....

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Crazy coincidence - was just discussing something with someone via email regarding a show by Humble Pie at a venue I never heard of, called "Gaelic Park" back in 1972, and now I see this post mentioning the same venue! Can you tell me what/where that is?

7. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

Hey Slipkid. It is a park in the Bronx. They set up a stage and did some outdoor concerts there. That was the only show I saw there. I don't know if they still host concerts. I think a college took it over for a sports complex.

slipkid likes this.
  8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I told ya so ;)

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks!

10. It's a nice live arrangement and the intro works well live -we in the audience held our beers up high:agree:.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I love the intro to Golden Age. The song itself is pretty pedestrian

12. Pretty pedestrian? Here's one:
    [​IMG]

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

LMFAO
    A guy in high school would've said 'yea, she's wheeling that suitcase cuz she's coming up to my room! Har Har'

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I would counter that the song itself is far from pedestrian. It's actually got quite a few moving parts and a lot going on. It's really a fine piece of songwriting. The intro lasts what? 10 seconds? It hardly kills the song. I only saw BÖC once and I can't remember if they did it or not. It was, after all, 34 years ago.

slipkid and stax o' wax like this.
  15. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Tickets are going on sale tomorrow for a show in Englewood, NJ on May 31

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

Great to see I Love the Night. One of my favorites.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Um, how does BÖC sound these days? I'm kind of worried about them. I know the backing guys are good (Sulton, Castellano, and Radino) but are Buck and Eric decent anymore? I imagine Buck still has some chops on guitar but what about his voice? From reports, Bloom's is shredded.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Doomed forever to live in the shadow of the Reaper. I love it when he sings' we could have shared this together' and then fires off a killer burst of notes.

GodShifter, slipkid and Holy Diver like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I was worried about this as well. I've heard a lot of people saying Bloom doesn't have it anymore, but not much to qualify that.

20. Buck's guitar playing is still pretty hot. He also lets Castellano take some solos (to great effect). Buck's voice was never too strong and he always seems too low in the mix -but that's nothing new. Bloom's vocals are not too hard to take (but yes, they are diminished). He only sings lead on a few songs (Cities On Flame, The Red And Black, ME 262, and I think Tattoo Vampire) and does most of the MC duties. I can confidently recommend seeing these guys this year.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cool, thanks. I would think Castellano has the best voice of the bunch these days. He's a great overall musician too. Very talented.

BluesOvertookMe and Doggiedogma like this.
  22. Yes, he's excellent and sang Hot Rails To Hell very well!

GodShifter likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great setlist (even though has a few songs I would replace with something else). Anything other than the same setlist I saw over and over for like 10 years in a row is cause for celebration! :)

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

There was a period where his voice was a godawful croak but he got much better after that. I don't know if he had something wrong (like vocal chord nodules or what). I forget when exactly that bad period was, but the last time I saw (or heard) them he was not bad at all.

Runicen and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.