Musicians that are big *Baseball* fans...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

2. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Here's a nice interview with Art Garfunkel where he discusses Harry Kalas and the playing of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" at Harry's funeral:

Palmer sits down with Garfunkel

3. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

He said that he was a big fan of Mickey Mantle, and while in High School hoped that he could play for the Yankees.

lightbulb and ledsox like this.
  4. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

George M. Cohan was a devote fan of the New York (baseball) Giants.

5. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I couldn't resist...

[​IMG][​IMG]

recordman33 likes this.
  6. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

How about Joe Jackson and "shoeless" Joe Jackson who was involved in the Black Sox scandal.

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's interesting about Tug's remains as Tim professed to be a Mets fan in 2015. I guess it could have been his dad's wish.

8. ianuaditis

According to this article, Lennon would have been a Mets fan, but Yoko wouldn't let him get into sports.
    Did John Lennon Chant 'Let's Go Mets' on a 1972 Song?
    I'm dubious about the bolded part. 'Big' fans tend to be either/or.

9. I know it's OT, but Alice is also a football fan. About 1975 or so my father worked at a funeral home in Dallas that rented their limos out. My dad went to pick up Alice Cooper and band, who were playing football on the airport tarmac. Heh. Pretty cool.

10. Yeah, it seems to be that Billy also wrote a suite of songs based around Chicago with at least one of those numbers about the White Socks. In fact, I just looked it up, and supposedly there are something like 72 songs written about Chicago, all officially unreleased.

Billy Corgan Setlist at Metro, Chicago

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Supposedly, Dick Cavett asked Paul Simon why he used "Joe DiMaggio" instead of "Mickey Mantle" in the song "Mrs Robinson".
    Simon replied, "It's about syllables, Dick. It's about how many beats there are."

That said, it's interesting to read the symbolic significance behind his song's reference to "Joltin' Joe ", which he wrote about in detail in a March 9, 1999 New York Times Op-Ed article, "The Silent Superstar", after DiMaggio died.

ledsox likes this.
  12. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Derek Trucks is a Braves fan. Susan Tedeschi is a Boston fan.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the early 00s WXRT used to interview Corgan once a week about the latest Cubs news.

14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Billy's probably more a Yankees fan, but he's certainly been there for the Mets too. Sang the Star-Spangled Banner more than once for them, been behind home plate at games, and the Last Play at Shea film plays up the kinship between the Mets and Billy too. But in the 70s and 80s he was friends with a bunch of Yankees, mentioned them at least twice in songs, etc.

I think he's just a big baseball fan in general.

15. ianuaditis

Hey, did anyone mention Geddy Lee is a big baseball fan? :angel:

16. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Maybe Artie can fart 'Volare' on stage, as Wuhl did at the talent show in 'Hollywood Knights.' Or perhaps they could be incorporated into 'Bridge Over Troubled Water.'

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I agree. If you live in a 2 team area, you should be a fan of one and not the other. I'm a Mets fan and hate the Yankees.

pig bodine likes this.
  18. ianuaditis

Yes, and he's from Long Island, which is typically a Mets background, but I agree he is probably a Yankee fan who doesn't dislike the Mets. They've adopted 'NY State of mind' as a 'clear out the stadium' song, and anyway that position is far more common with older fans than younger.

The Yankees fan who came of age with the 1990s-2000s teams seem to have huge insecurity issues about the Mets.

19. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Elton John's an Atlanta Braves fan and has a house and lives there, I don't know which came first.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes I did

21. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing Thread Starter

well...helluva lot better than fellow rapper 50 cent's 1st pitch.

ps: another shameless plug for Steve Hoffman Music Forum Fantasy Baseball League we're trying to start...we now have 6 members confirmed, still need (at least) 6 more.
    it's always difficult to start something but we'll make sure it's worth it in the end...check it out http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/shmf-fantasy-baseball-league-2017.653269/

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Not a mainstream act, but Letters To Cleo are huge Red Sox fans. And to switch sports for a moment, Aerosmith are big Patriots fans.

23. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Dropkick Murphy's are big Red Sox fans too.

24. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing Thread Starter

DR.J likes this.
  25. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I remember the World Series between Oakland and San Francisco where'd they interviewed locals about who they wanted to win, and there were responses like, "we're just happy both teams are in it." And there were caps that were half Giants and half Athletics. It made my want to puke. If it were New York or Chicago, fans would have been at each other's throats. My father has told me stories growing up in the 30's and 40's about how common it was for NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers fans to fight in the subway stations after games.

ianuaditis and LandHorses like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.