2017 Oscars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I know the vast majority only care about the acting awards and Best Picture, but there are a huge number of creative professionals who actually make the films. Kevin and his team do amazing work, and I feel that should be acknowledged, especially on this particular forum.

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Rock looks like he's contemplating taking action. "Stand down everyone!"

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO WON BEST PICTURE!"

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

spot on. I always follow with interest the "tech" awards. Jungle Book was a worthy winner but I'm a bit disappointed because Deadpool didn't get a nomination. What they could achieve with a relatively low budget is awesome.

On a side, sound-related note, the 2017 razzie moral award should go to the guy who phoned members of the Academy asking to vote for him :D

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

You can actually pinpoint the second when Ryan Gossling's heart rips in half.

[​IMG]

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Rubbish. Many actors are great at improvisation.

7. Chris DeVoe

Hopefully, next year they'll have different colored envelopes for the different categories.

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

It would be funny if somehow all of the people who ordered the Moonlight DVD and Blu-ray were sent La La Land by accident by retailers.

goodiesguy, Jrr, OldSoul and 5 others like this.
  9. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I think he just wanted to rouse the audience out of its shocked stupor. I've been looking at the clip like it's the Zapruder Kennedy assassination film.

MikaelaArsenault and MRamble like this.
  10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, it has been suggested that many have used "preferential ballot" in the BP category where it's possible to rank five films instead of voting for one.

Oscars: A Closer Look at the Results That Were Overshadowed By the Chaos

11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

My "off with their heads" comment applies more to the In Memoriam screw-up where they showed a picture of someone very much alive. That was inexcusable.

MikaelaArsenault and MaggieMac like this.
  12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Perhaps so and I know it was in the heat of the moment but it came off as very douchy the way he snapped it out of Warren's hand. Warren was visibly a little shaken when the card flew out of his hand. The guy is 79..a little respect would be nice.

13. Chris DeVoe

By the way, La La Land Producer Jordan Horowitz should get an award as Mensch of the Year for his gracious acknowledgment of Moonlight. Both La La Land and Moonlight have been at the same film festivals, premiering at Telluride - the "journey" he spoke of was appearing at festival after festival, building up to the Oscars.

14. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, that was my feeling too. The internet press is calling him a classy hero but I must have been watching the wrong show. I mean, it's nice that he called "Moonlight" up there and all that but his snippy actions and tone didn't sit well with me, particularly the way he snatched the card from Warren, as you said. The more I watch the clip the more I feel the need to punch him in the face. He may be "gracious" but to me he sounded like a hotheaded a-hole.

MikaelaArsenault, Drifter and MRamble like this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Think I'm going to try to find funding for film idea: "La La Light on Moon Land". It's really about (get this) Hollywood

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

By Hollywood standards, I thought he was being very decent. None of these people should have been in this situation.

17. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

New Standards coming for the font size for all Academy Award envelopes and award cards ???

18. Zep Fan

That would have been the correct thing for Warren to do, either before he handed the award card to Faye, or after she announced the wrong winner. Warren, in his eyes, looked dumbfounded. But, hey... they're just actors, after all...

19. Chris DeVoe

At least the card was printed in black on white. This moronic current style of light gray on white cannot end soon enough. The new Google Voice web site is nearly unusable.

20. Daniel Plainview

He's got the lights in his face, he's nervous and a hundred years old... he did the best he could. And Faye just glanced at the card and hollered it out like "No wire hangers" yet no one is pointing the finger at her.

Bottom line the fault is with the oscar production team who sent them out there to die with the wrong card.

21. Zep Fan

Really, why couldn't the big man just figure it out for himself, with that actor/director brain of his. :waiting:

I suspect that Hollywood would roast Mel Gibson endlessly if he had handed off the card. :agree:

22. Daniel Plainview

That brain hasn't produced a decent film in 30 years.

23. Zep Fan

IMO, with Beatty's long experience with Hollywood and the Academy Awards, he should have known exactly what a Best Picture Award card is and is not supposed to look like. A Best Picture card with an actresses name on it, is *not* how that card would ever look. It's not like what you or I might surmise...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Well, if the card had only said Emma Stone and nothing else--sure, more blame should rest on Warren. But the card also had the words "LA LA Land" on it and you can't blame Warren for being completely thrown off by that. He's got the name for one of the films nominated right there in front of him! He probably was thinking..."is this card half right...?" Regardless, he is now knee deep in doubt and knows this moment is now spoiled completely. I think he saved the moment gracefully at the very end when he explained himself and finally announced "Moonlight" as the true winner.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  25. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

It's not true.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.