Would you go to a concert just to 'see' your favourite musician(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sometimes people report on a concert "The show wasn't great but I was just so happy to see [favourite musician(s)] live".

Hence the question, would you pay to see Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan or whoever it may be to simply stand on a stage and do little or nothing?

Would you feel a slight satisfaction and be able to say "At least I saw them (a)live on stage. My life is now complete." :agree:

2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Maybe something like the upcoming "An Evening With Linda Ronstadt"?

"Part interview, part presentation, Linda will recount episodes from various times in her long career, as well as her thoughts on music and what it has meant in her life."

An Evening with Linda Ronstadt

3. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

LOL

where do you people even come up with these kinds of ideas?

Seriously?

hell no, of course not.

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Maybe. I spend so much time with their music. To see them in real life is an attraction.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, I think going to hear a musician discuss their music and career, with personal anecdotes can be entertaining.

Although it's not as fulfilling as hearing them perform their music live, unfortunately sometimes that is not an option.

The upcoming Linda Ronstadt event is a perfect example.

Culpa likes this.
  6. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Not anymore. Tickets are too expensive.

Dodoz and vince like this.
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

No.
    That sounds incredibly awkward for all involved.

8. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I recently saw one of my musical heroes, but not at a concert. I was vacationing in Hawaii, standing at the lookout at the top of 10,000 ft. Mt. Haleakala on Maui. I was taking this picture with my iPhone:
    [​IMG]
    I noticed the guy standing next to me, also taking pictures, was Jorma Kaukonen. It was funny, because he lives in Ohio, and I live in NJ, so it was a pretty unusual place to meet. We had a short conversation, and he was very nice.

forthlin, wilejoe, 131east23 and 8 others like this.
  9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

So, where's the pic of you and Jorma...?
    :)

Rhett and wwaldmanfan like this.
  10. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I went to see Wanda Jackson a couple years back. I had bought her Jack White-produced record but definitely part of me was going to see a legend. Was she at the height of her powers? No. But she is a Rockabilly legend and I paid my respect.

driverdrummer and highway chile like this.
  11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

As likely as I would go to see a film just to hear my favourite actors.

12. wwaldmanfan

I never ask celebrities for photos or autographs. I've always thought that was douchey.
    However, I do play the guitar (badly), so when he extended his hand, I shook it, and asked him if it rubs off. He laughed.

Siegmund, starduster and lightbulb like this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Didn't Fripp used to call concert appearances something like "viewing the body"?

Siegmund likes this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I saw Waylon Jennings in the last few years he was alive and it was a dissapointing concert. Being able to say, "I saw him" really doesn't do me any good. I can't think of any musician I would want to see play a bad show.

15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

No, because even though I absolutely love Brian May and Roger Taylor, I refuse to see them with Adam Lambert. Just not into it.

16. wwaldmanfan

You've heard about this before. I saw Chuck Berry a few years ago at a free concert, and, now, it's just a bad memory.
    As towering a legend as he is, it was flat out embarrasing. Severely out of tune guitar, playing the same song more than once in the same set, forgetting lyrics, etc. It was undignified.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

No, I wouldn't but others feel differently.

Linda Ronstadt, sadly, can't sing any more. Neither can Julie Andrews. Yet they are still huge stars and these events accommodate those who still want to breathe the same air as their idols.

I saw Lou Reed and he was competent but dull; but I'm glad I saw him (and my ticket was a freebie).

18. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Loved the Anderson Wakeman Live

19. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

The last time I saw BB King he played very, very little. He still had some magic in those fingers but it was pretty sad. I was glad my wife got to go with me, but I had seen him some 20 years earlier so to me, it was pretty much a waste of time.

20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not just to see a favorite musician but to share stories and offer some form of performance, definitely...and I have done it.

Steve Howe completely solo at a club about 16 years ago. His former band mate from Yes, Bill Bruford, did a series of drum clinics. He spoke and played drums along with clips from each phase of his career. About 4 months later, he announced his retirement. Think I'm not glad to have gone up to Hamilton that night? Carl Palmer brought his ELP Legacy to the same club as Howe, 2 y3ars ago. It was really just to see him. When else would there have been an opportunity to have sat sipping cabernet sauvignon at a table, directly in front of a drumming legend? Oh, and each of these gents autographed CD's after these performancedays.

These were all rather unique experiencestyle but among the best values in music.

21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

of course, Brian Wilson isn't a great performer by any means but I went to see him

22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Yes, if only to buy one of the CD, LPs offered for sale during the concert, then have it autographed and maybe take my photograph with said musician.

23. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's really what it comes down to. Everything he "performs" is doubled or tripled by someone else, so it's really just 'seeing' him at the concert which is potentially exciting.

24. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

People go to Brian Wilson concerts all the time! Love Brian but he is little more than a prop onstage for his band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.