Poll: Bee Gees/Solo. Pick your favourite 70s and 80s albums.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Good point. :righton:

I would love such a discussion. Why was "BOOGIE CHILD" a single? I mean, I love it as a musical joke, but it´s not really chart fodder, is it? Some of their choices seem obvious, others are bewildering.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

COTW isn't the singles goldmine that Main Course was.. Even so, they could have found something better than Boogie Child. Nice bridge, but the rest is a trial.

That said, Boogie Child was a hit so what do we know?:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Jarleboy

Well, a tiny hit, I suppose. Don´t get me wrong - I like the song, but it feels more like they´re sending up a musical style more than a "serious" attempt at creating something "lasting". I don´t know why, but I find it funny. I like to listen to it - but not too often. :D

A song that was briefly out as a single was the title track of "CHILDREN OF THE WORLD". It´s a lot of falsetto to take in, but it´s one of their most elegant songs ever. Love it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

There is no question that when they got it right it was awesome but yeah that is a head scratcher.
    He`s A Liar from Living Eyes is another one although a part of me wonders if they just intended to tank that whole project.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Jarleboy

I´m not sure they did, but the cover certainly didn´t help.

I would have released the title track as the lead single - a much better song, and the LP and single would promote the same "brand". I still like the album a lot, and the title track stands out.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I always loved Cryin' Every Day - epic vocal from Robin and fantastic songwriting. Another I loved on that album (Living Eyes) was Don't Fall In Love With Me; also a Robin vocal. Either could have been a single.

7. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

Another potential single from the Living Eyes album was Paradise (this time a Barry lead vocal). Perhaps they thought it was too similar to Too Much Heaven?
    But then again, how much heaven would be too much?

Jarleboy and Cloudbuster like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

The drop-off from Spirits Having Flown to Living Eyes was astounding. I wonder if any single could have rescued the latter... I think radio and the public were ready for a rest from them. That said, He's No Liar wouldn't have helped.. Great verses but a let-down chorus.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I lived through the Bee Gee backlash period but Living Eyes was released almost 3 years after Too Much Heaven from Spirits Having Flown and 2 years after that album had faded.
    Guilty was very much a Bee Gees sound and obviously their efforts so really not chalking up its failure to public fatigue.

To me it just seems like a lackluster effort of fine tuning and promotion by the group.
    The internal turmoils of the time between the brothers,management,production styles and personal lives show through as (imo) He`s A Liar was almost a guaranteed flop.
    It is almost a musically grating sound rather then one a person (in that day) would be running out to buy or searching the radio to hear.

The title track might have salvaged it followed up by Don`t Fall In Love With Me,Wildflower or Paradise.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love the title track but not the album. I think they made a mistake not releasing that as lead single, or including that song on Tales box where it may have been given a reappraisal.

For me, the songs are just not as strong as the material on Guilty or Heartbreaker.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Paradise did get a release in both Japan and the Netherlands, this was probably around early 1982. Don't believe it did much noise in either country's charts.

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I'll take BEE GEES FIRST over any of these later albums!

granata likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't remember the name of their original Greatest Hits, but that's the winner for me. Before the disco sh!t came along.

14. granata

granata Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jarleboy, zebop and kyletx500 like this.
  15. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

Interesting! What was the flip side?

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. ferdinandhudson

Nothing Could Be Good

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

Awesome album track! And another great Barry vocal. Was it edited for the single release at all?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

Probably my favorite track off Living Eyes (Don't Fall In Love With Me comes in close second). Really underrated album. I don't know why they regarded it as "a turkey"; I love Spirits Having Flown, but the change of pace was welcome. I always gravitate toward their slower ballads anyway.

Jarleboy and siveld like this.
  19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

During the 60s, they were known for their big melodramatic ballads. But the Bee Gees made a lot of excellent psychedelia.

Jarleboy and kyletx500 like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I wonder if they went off it because it didn't do well? A lot of acts turn against their albums for this reason. Elton John does it all the time.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. ferdinandhudson

I don't own it myself, but there is no indication of either side being edited.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if they were a bit too obeseesed with chart numbers. It doesn't always correlate with the quality of the songs/album.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I find it hard to believe they were disappointed with Living Eyes as an album. They spent ages recording and putting it together. They must have been crushed when it underperformed.

Jarleboy and kyletx500 like this.
  24. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It was a big hit in some parts of Europe for sure. I remember that back in the 80's "Juliet" and "Another lonely night in NY" were constantly on the radio in my country (and there was practically just one radio station airing some pop music back then), plus they aired often a "live" performance from some German show on the main TV channel (and there were only two TV channels in total:). Was also a hit in Italy (I had cousins living in Italy and they were crazy about "Juliet") We were about 10 years old back then..:) The album was also one of the very few western pop music LPs officially released by the Bulgarian state owned label "Balkanton" (in 70s and 80s they released something like 5 foreign pop/rock LPs per year, usually very popular big sellers like Queen Greatest Hits, ABBA Lps etc., so this can give you an idea how popular this one was), and not only for the local market, but also for export in other Eastern European countries and Russia.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

1. Children Of The World
    2. Spirits Having Flown
    3. Saturday Night Fever: Soundtrack

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.