Phonostage for Rega RP8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zackwater, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackwater

zackwater Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Putting together a Naim component system (300dr, 252, nds, 555, sopra 3's). Have a Rega rp8 turntable. It seems unbalanced to use the superline $4k phonostage on this turntable, I think the Aria is plenty good, any feedback.

2. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Why would it be unbalanced to use the superline phonostage? Also, wouldn't it depend also on the cartridge you're using? Just curious, I'm getting a rega RP10 and am curious about phono stage matchups for the RP8/RP10.

3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What cartridge are you using?

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Are you actually sure that a £4k Naim product would better an £800 Rega product? Apparently Rega are playing round with a new £4K phono stage if you want to spend that much.

5. GoldprintAudio

From what I have heard, Rega is working on a replacement for the IOS Ref stage.

6. zackwater

I'm using the Apheta 2. As for why I think the superline phonostage is unbalanced with the rp8, the phonostage will cost as much as the turntable and the cartridge combined. If I were doing the rp10, then I would do the superline. I need advise from people who know a lot more about this than I do, just seems abnormal to me.

7. zackwater

No I am not sure. I need expert advise.

8. GoldprintAudio

The Aria was basically designed with the Apheta in mind. It's a fantastic combo.

With that said, I've never heard the Naim, so can't really comment on what benefits (if any) you would gain with it.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would stick to the Rega Aria. If you are using Alpheta the Ios reference was specifically designed for it but is discontinued. The earlier Ios in clam shell casing was far cheaper and made more sense. I think they are working on a replacement.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yeah but how does it sound to you? :)

andybeau likes this.
  11. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

It certainly is. What cartridge are you sporting?

12. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

1. Nevermind, sorry, saw what you're using. Don't consider a Superline. I have one and it needs to be powered by at least a HiCap DR to sing. Ideally SuperCap. Plus you're not up to snuff on deck and cartridge. As you previously mentioned you should be at RP10 league+ cartridge on up. It is a very sensitive and world-class sounding preamp.
    When you play up in that legue you really have to know what you're up against and getting into.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.