Best way to spend $3500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wharf Rat, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My current setup consists of an Oppo HA-1>PC via USB DAC using JRiver along with an Audio Technica LP120>Oppo HA-1 analog input. I typically use my Oppo PM-1s to listen, but was looking to upgrade to a speaker setup. I do my listening in medium sized bedroom.

I'd like to add some components and wanted to stay around the $3500 mark. I was looking at the NAD c368 for my integrated amp and also was waiting on the Oppo Bdp-205 to take advantage of the XLR connections on the HA-1. I also was looking at the klipsch rf-82 speakers, but don't really know a lot about speakers.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. I listen all types of media (SACD, vinyl, digital).

2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

How much are you looking to spend just on the integrated amp? I just got an NAD C375BEE and I absolutely love it. It's got enough power to power just about any speaker you have or will ever get. All of the different features on it are nice to have as well. For me it's really nice to have extra power when I need it. It also helps the speakers "breath" as I call it. I know it's a little pricey but I found mine for about $850+shipping, brand new in the box from an NAD dealer. To me if you plan on having this system for awhile I would suggest getting the NAD C375BEE. Also for speakers, I would look into the ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speakers. They have been getting some awesome reviews and Andrew Jones designed them so you know they're good! :D

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

So basically you are looking for an integrated amp and speakers for $3,500?

And I think your answer to this question should be "yes"

AaronW likes this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I think it will be less then that for speakers and integrated, subtracting out the Opp0 205 he wants as well (no clue what the 205 is/will sell for).

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That would have to be at least 1K, right?

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

First things first. Decide if you are going to have a speaker priority or headphones. If it is speakers, think about the room you be running them in and narrow it down to speakers that are appropriate for that space. Are we talking space for Klipsch Cornwalls or KEF ls50's?

I would almost always advise choosing speakers first and then building everything behind that. Find the ones you love and then bring them to life. Trying to "fix" the sound of your speakers with an amp or source components is often times a drag.

Tlay likes this.
  7. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Send it directly to my PayPal account. ;)

8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not sure....I've not paid much attention to see what it will be selling for.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I gave Focal speakers but I was in that shop and they had a Rogue Sphinx hooked up to some KEF floorstanders. Sounded very nice. Around $2300 total, maybe less. Leave you $1200 for some vinyl. Or a nice Thorens from Vinyl Nirvana.

10. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Speakers. Put the rest in your IRA. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Buy two tickets to Rome.

12. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

If I could pry, I'm curious what made you choose the NAD over the Marantz 6006 or 7005?

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  13. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Exercise caution when considering NAD Integrateds. They are not reliable.

konut likes this.
  14. AmericanHIFI

Try to audition Marantz paired to Klipsch (if that's your choice of speakers). Should be a good matching combo.
    PM6006 new Integrated is great for the money-the best they offered in 6000 series.

Mateo Sanboval and bradleyc like this.
  15. Mateo Sanboval

This is exactly what I was thinking. I love everything about the 6006. The only downside I can see to the 6006 is that there isn't a USB port which I think would make it more difficult to pair an external hard drive with the Marantz without going through a laptop using an optical cord. The 7005 adds a USB B port.

16. AmericanHIFI

You can't have it all for the money. Buy an inexpensive outboard USB based DAC. 7005 doesn't use as good as hdam's as 6006

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  17. Mateo Sanboval

I must confess that I'm fairly ignorant about this, but I did not realize the 6006 had anything on it better than the 7005. Interesting. Also, I was under the impression that the DAC in the Marantz units was quite good so was thinking it to be superfluous to put another immediately on top of it for the sake of a USB when one could just "upgrade" to the 7005.

18. AmericanHIFI

It's quite alright. Bottom line, purchse the 6000 series amp and seek out a sensibly priced DAC from companies like Schiit, etc. Do a bit of internet search on affordable USB DACs.

19. AmericanHIFI

Yes. Or work with your local audio dealer. They should be supported anytime possible.
    With each gen the HDAM'S (which are discrete integrated circuits) Marantz pushes the envelope.

20. Mateo Sanboval

Ah, so the HDAM in the 6006 is superior to the 7005 although, theoretically, the as yet unannounced 7006 should have the same or better HDAM?

21. AmericanHIFI

Yes, it would be expected. And 7000s are long overdue for revamp.

22. AmericanHIFI

Correction, not ICs, but operational amplifiers. My statement was conflicting.

23. Mateo Sanboval

Thanks for your input, AmHiFi. Much appreciated.

24. AmericanHIFI

You're quite welcome.

25. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Now that the 205 has been released and after reading some comments, I've narrowed my search to the Marantz pm6006 and a pair of Elac uni-fi uf5 speakers. These would be used along with the 205 and my Oppo ha-1. My plan is to connect the 205 to the ha-1 using the xlr connection, but I would then need to use the stereo outputs on the HA-1 to connect to the Marantz. Will there be any loss of quality since I'm not using an XLR connection from the HA-1 to the Marantz? It also looks like I'll have 3 DACs, but it looks like the 205 would be the DAC to use? I'll mainly be using the 205 for SACDs and the DAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.