Elton John 80s B-sides...chronology?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rigsby, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I started an Elton discography website a while ago but it's been on hold for quite a while already. One of the main reasons was that the domain provider's tools often did not work as they should. Maybe I should reboot...;)

2. David Robinson

David Robinson Forum Resident

Rigsby likes this.
  3. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident Thread Starter

That would be interesting - there is the "Eltonography" site but that seems much more focused on showcasing country variants of picture sleeves etc, rather than a breakdown of tracks and releases with decent background.

kollektionist likes this.
  4. Rigsby

5. kollektionist

Rigsby likes this.
  6. David Robinson

It is as it concentrates on actual albim and single releases but for someone just learning I think it's quite useful. Especially picking up on B Sides that might have been released in different areas. It took me a couple of years before I realised that the US and UK had different B Side Release schedules in the 80's. but then there was no internet back then to help.

7. kollektionist

Since it's part of this era... anybody know if Winter Song was actually recorded ?

8. David Robinson

I've never heard it, when would it have been done?

9. kollektionist

It's a Yoko Ono song that Elton was supposed to be doing/have done for the Every Man Has A Woman album. The project was started by John Lennon but he didn't get to finish it and the album was completed by Yoko and released in 1984. So Elton's contribution would be situated somewhere in that timeframe, if recorded at all...

10. Rigsby

I didn't know that. I would love to hear what he did with that track.

11. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

The book is also not very specific or detailed. Generally it's just each album gets an entry, with a list of the included songs and then another list of songs that were supposedly recorded at the same time. And then an essay on the album itself. Discussion of singles is limited.

No real discussion about specific tracks - say for example that you have a track that was recorded during one album session and then revived for a later album, nowhere is it discussed whether it is the same recording or a re-recording.

So on the whole, that book is more frustrating than helpful to me, because it offers bits of information that would be interesting to know more about, but never follows through on it. Another problem is of course that it's from the mid 90s, so "Made in England" is the last album discussed.

NunoBento likes this.
  12. David Robinson

This is all true, but I still believe it's the best available when it comes to documenting songs and giving a time period for when they were recorded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.